❰PDF / Epub❯ ★ Eleven twenty-two sixty-three Author Stephen King – Dailytradenews.co.uk

• Hardcover
  • 849 pages
  • Eleven twenty-two sixty-three
  • Stephen King
  • English
  • 04 May 2019
  • 9781451627282

10 thoughts on “Eleven twenty-two sixty-three

Go ahead, book snobs Proclaim haughtily that Stephen King is not Literature I shall retort with a Pratchett quote, Susan hated Literature She d much prefer to read a good book And nobody argues with Sir Terry Since a picture is worth a thousand words , the above is a three thousand words summary of this book Impressive, no And also dancing is life As you probably guessed from the not too spoiler sensitive title, 11 22 63 is a book about time travel My love for it is an exception rather than a rule you see, I am not usually a fan of the Grandfather paradox Speaking of which Yeah, but what if you went back and killed your own grandfather He stared at me, baffled Why the fuck would you do that As the title proceeds to shamelessly tells us, the book deals with the assassination of John F Kennedy and if the title fails to convey the message, then hopefully you like yours truly have Google pedia d it Hey, don t judge, I was born in Eastern Europe Anyway, it s another of Stephen King s what if situations What if you could go through a rabbit hole to the past Would you try to change history for the better, would you try to right the wrongs Well, who wouldn t And so Jake Epping, an English teacher, sets out to spend half a decade in the past to prevent the assassination of JFK and to figure out whether Lee Harvey Oswald was indeed the lone gunman that day, despite all the conspiracy theories As I flipped to the back, I kept seeing that double take And the grin A sense of humor a sense of the absurd The man in the sixth floor window of the Book Depository had neither Oswald had proved it time and again, and such a man had no business changing history What if their lives had never intersected Even people capable of living in the past don t really know what the future holds The question is what would have happened had JFK survived the assassination that day in Dallas Would we still have Vietnam War, race riots, and Martin Luther King s death Could the lives of many innocent people be spared Could JFK lead the country into a better future Jake believes so But what if the past resists the change What is the price of changing the past The past is obdurate for the same reason a turtle s shell is obdurate because the living flesh inside is tender and defenseless This book again dispels the long believed but mistaken axiom that Stephen King is a horror writer of a spook and startle variety No, in the traditional sense he is not He knows that the true monsters are those that live inside every one of us and, ahem, occasionally in Derry, Maine He has created his own brand of psychological suspense with the brilliant and scary insight into the minds of average everyday people who all have some darkness inside them and a skeleton or two in the closet sometimes quite literally superimposed onto the masterful description of small towns themselves eerily resembling sentient living creatures, determined to hold on to their dark secrets And we get plenty of these in this book, as Jake s quest to prevent that fateful shot in November in Dallas takes him along the way to the small towns of Derry, Maine and Jodie, Texas I have an irrational fear of living in a small town, thanks to Stephen King What if it turns out to be another Derry or Castle Rock shudder By the way, this trip to the past gives plenty of deeeeee licious Easter Eggs to King s Constant Readers We see little echoes from Pennywise the Clown era in Derry, meet our favorite 1958 Plymouth Fury Hellllloooo there, Christine , and even get a nod to A Wizard and Glass with Takuro Spirit On that gray street, with the smell of industrial smokes in the air and the afternoon bleeding away to evening, downtown Derry looked only marginally charming than a dead hooker in a church pew Derry of 1958 right after the terrifying events of IT is particularly repulsive and sinister It s a small wonder Jake is able to continue his quest after starting in such an ominous place But even there King manages to include some unexpected beauty just remember Richie and Bevvy dancing And the reverse applies to the idyllic town of Jodie in which Jake is finally able to feel that he actually LIVES in the past Deep down under the beauty and quaintness lies the ugly little reality And the same remains true for the Land of Ago, the glorious past of absent airport security, no cholesterol warnings, and everyone happily puffing their way to lung cancers The 1950s 60s are described with sweetness and nostalgia, but King never hesitates to bluntly remind the reader that the past has teeth and it s not afraid to bite. King is an excellent writer and an amazing storyteller His writing is effortless and natural, the characterization is apt and memorable, and the dialogue superb and real sounding I truly felt for Jake during each step of his journey I loved how Oswald was described as not a villain or a nutcase but a flawed broken little man who stumbled into the middle of events that changed history The other characters Sadie, Deke, Ellie, Frank Dunning were so well written that I could feel them come to life which actually can be a scary statement when the world of sai King is concerned The story, despite its sizable length, was flowing along and never lost my attention And his slow build up of the sense of suspense and doom think The Yellow Card Man and jimla and the harmonizing past was just enough to keep me on the edge of my seat throughout the book Pardon me for using this moth eaten cliche, but Stephen King is like good wine his writing gets better and better as he ages Some may consider The Stand his masterpiece to his dismay who wants to think he s already reached the peak of his writing career three decades ago , but I think this book may be it Is there any phrase ominous than you need to see exactly what you ve done I couldn t think of one offhand 5 stars without hesitation for this excellent impossible to put down book Sai King, I will continue to be your Constant Reader for hopefully many years to come, Capital L Literature or not If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples

We never know which lives we influence, or when, or why I still fail to understand why Stephen King isn t considered a writer of respected literature Because he writes sci fi and horror Because his books are so compelling, entertaining and popular For me, King does what very few authors manage he turns fast paced genre fiction into well written, thought provoking literature And 11 22 63 is no exception I ve been putting this book off for the last few years partly because it s an 800 page giant, and partly because I studied the hell out of Kennedy and 1950s 60s America back in high school But I find myself once again in that situation where I read a book I always meant to read and mentally kick myself for not giving in sooner.This book is fantastic Some of its critics don t like the crossover of many genres, claiming it wanders from genre to genre However, I loved how this book was many things It s an extremely well researched piece of historical fiction it s a fascinating look at time travel science fiction is it possible to change the past What is the cost of doing so it s a small town thriller and it s a love story.King has this strange way of turning the most fantastical plots into stories about people who feel very real He writes detailed and honest character portraits, so that these characters become so vivid and realistic, likable and flawed, that we so easily believe in everything that happens to them If you don t already know, this book is about a man called Jake Epping who through his friend, Al discovers a portal that takes him to 1958, where he takes over Al s obsessive mission to prevent the Kennedy assassination He establishes a new life in the past, in a world filled with big American cars, rock n roll, and shameless racism, sexism and homophobia.The amount of research King did is evident He paints an intricate portrait of this time simultaneously portraying an exciting, dreamy era full of different fashions, music, and the best root beer ever for 10 cents and showing the darker side segregation and the two doors and three signs Men on one door, Women on the other door, and Colored leading to a plank of wood over a small stream He makes this era seem like a bright, amazing, creepy nightmare.I thoroughly enjoyed it Unlike some of King s other works, the 800 pages didn t feel like too much to me and they just seemed to fly by So glad I finally read it.Blog Facebook Twitter Instagram Tumblr

Thank you, Steve You were wrong all those years ago when you said you weren t very good at writing about love and intimacy The love story here is full of honesty and tenderness When I got to the last couple of pages, I was crying so hard I couldn t read 11 22 63 is a supernatural, quasi historical, philosophical, science fiction love story If you re avoiding it because you think Stephen King only writes horror, please reconsider There s no horror here, aside from a couple of mild gross out scenes I know my experience would have been cheapened by knowing too much beforehand, so I m not going to tell you what it s about in the style of a traditional book review Be it on someone else s head to spoil your fun So why should you read it There is DANCING There is time travel Stephen King style, with some original twists on the old device There is a special treat for fans of It, King s novel about Pennywise the Clown There is a charming yet brutally honest portrayal of American life in the late 50s and early 60s There is DANCING There is pie throwing There is sweet romance without sappiness There is poundcake There is derring do With poundcake for afters There is insight into Lee Harvey Oswald and his associates, and their activities prior to 11 22 63 There is DANCING There is a subtle but amazing use of the past as a character with an agenda of its own There is snappy dialogue laced with humor There is high school theater And there is DANCING Because dancing is life Thanks again, Steve There s always room for you on my dance card.

Look at the amount of pages in this book Look at the amount of pages in Under The Dome Check the date this book is published Check the date Under The Dome was published eyetwitch Real Utterly compelling King outlines a clear end goal, and the novel benefits enormously as the journey to that destination unfolds A constant suspense and wonder as the reader considers when and how we ll get to that fateful titular date, not to mention what will happen when we get there, and once we leave it behind Part drama, part historical fiction, part romance King has stated the book s idea came to him in 1971, yet at the time didn t have enough confidence in his skill or ability to properly pull something like this off Well, the wait was worth it Truly masterful.

You may ask yourself how in the world did a wife beating, mental degenerate, and multiple country defecting USA, RUSSIA and an attempt at Cuba little shit like this kill the charismatic, handsome war hero, and most powerful man in the world It doesn t make any sense It never has made any sense Oswald just does not fit the profile for a guy that could pull off an assassination of this magnitude He s a semi educated hillbilly, but he s surprisingly crafty Kennedy provided a golden opportunity to every disgruntled crazy out there by deciding to ride in an open car through the hostile city of Dallas, Texas His swoon inspiring smile, his wavy hair, and his beautiful wife would not win him votes hidden behind bullet proof glass A tough election was coming up and Texas was again critical for the Kennedy Johnson ticket The parade route was even published in the paper When Lee Harvey Oswald noticed that the route passed right by the Texas School Book Depository, his place of work, he felt the universe was talking to him A president riding in an open car sounds insane, but the reality is that a president had not been assassinated since McKinley in 1901 I could see how Kennedy, weighing the risk, would have felt reasonably safe We all know how that turned out.Jake Epping, an unassuming English teacher, is given an opportunity to go back in time The time portal, located in the back room of a greasy spoon, will take him back to 1958 A year tantalizingly close to one of the most traumatic events in American history Jake, now George Amberson, just had to lay low and wait for 1963 to roll around and use that time to come up with a plan to stop the before mentioned Lee Harvey Oswald King explores the well traveled road of the potential devastating effects of changing the past to influence the future What if Kennedy had not been killed My liberal leanings would have me believe that the world would be better today There are piles of documentation showing that Kennedy had no intention of escalating the war in Vietnam As he proved with The Cuban Missile Crisis, he was a man that understood the bluff without committing the hardware He was a man that had been to war, and I find it hard to believe he would have committed American kids to die in the jungles of Southeast Asia One of Stephen King s strengths is that despite the fact that he is wealthy man and one of the most successful writers in the world, he really understands common everyday people I found myself developing a real fondness for Jake I winced when he failed I whooped when things went well His romance with Sadie is spun out so nicely that the Kennedy assassination almost becomes a back ground plot King placed a Japanese proverb at the front of the book and also used it so wonderfully in the plot Every time I read it I find a smile on my face If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples The number on the back page does say 849 pages, but King s writing style makes reading this book effortless The margins are wide and the print large, so don t let the size of the book keep you from reading this charming book I m off to turn my time travel machine, nearly finished, back into something a little less dangerous to the world like a cappuccino machine See of my writing at You can like my blog page on Facebook here JeffreyKeeten Blog page

Hi, my name is Jake Epping and I m a dull high school English teacher who has decided to go back in time to prevent JFK from being assassinated I ve decided to do this primarily because a fat man who serves me 53 year old cheeseburgers with whom I share only a vague casual acquaintance has told me that I should There is no other real reason for me to being doing this There really isn t. Once I m there, I will also risk my life to save a bunch of other people that I barely know because I want to demonstrate how amazingly selfless I am It is important to me that I am well liked I will fuck up several times, but that is no problem because I have no life and therefore I will simply go back in time again and repeat the experience until I get things right At some point along the way, I will fall in love with an 80 year old woman But don t worry when I go back in time, she s 27 So that s no problem, either.Anyway, once I view spoiler save JFK and am thanked with a lifetime supply of beer, I will finally return to the present But oh no saving JFK has caused massive earthquakes WHAAA and now the entire country is a complete nuclear wasteland And yet even though there is no plausible reason whatsoever for this to be the case hide spoiler

I ll be honest here It s really rare that I get through a book over 500 pages, let alone 700 Nook pages It s also true that I have never read a single thing from Mr King until now Why I m not sure Maybe his books intimidated me, because when I was younger everyone was always talking to me about how his books were so long, and blah blah Anyway, I am proud to say that 11 22 63 was my first book read by Stephen King I hear it s so much different than his other work, but I also haven t met a single person that didn t love it I read this book because everybody and their brother was recommending it to me as a must read I m also not a big historical fiction fan, and didn t know how much I would enjoy reading about 20 years before my birth I had nothing to worry about.Here is a book that you never want to end, yet you do want it to end, because you need to know what is going to happen King introduces us to a man named Jake who insists that he is not emotionless despite the fact that he doesn t cry often I can relate to him right off the bat Not a big crier, but I definitely feel emotions on a huge level Jake is sent back to 1963 with a plan made up by a guy named Al who owns a local diner, and has the rabbit hole which is how they travel back in time At first his mission is just to stop Lee Harvey Oswald from assassinating JFK, but then little things pop up here and there making him consider a few new things that need to be changed I m not going into any detail than that, because I don t want to give away one single thing in this brilliant novel Fans of his story It may be excited to know he revisits the town of Derry, Maine, where It was located.The excitement and suspense in this book were astonishing I held my breath in anticipation of certain things Jake had to do, and then some twist would come out of left field, and I would continue reading in awe There were also several sighs of relief and a couple of cute moments involving Jake s romance that just made me say aww.I do feel like there were a rough 100ish pages that dragged on somewhere in the middle, and the book may have benefited by taking out a few things, but obviously I m no expert That s just my opinion Again, this may have also been just something I was feeling, because I was very impatient and really wanting to know how this book would end Some people didn t like the ending, but I loved it In the afterword King discusses his research a bit You can most definitely tell that a lot of research and thought went into this novel The descriptions are vivid and when I say you are really transported back to the 60 s I mean it You will feel it 11 22 63 is a truly memorable, wonderfully written book that I have already recommended to several family members and friends, and I will continue to recommend for years to come This is another of King s books that I could see as a film, too If you are wanting to try a Stephen King book, but don t know if you will like all the horror, read this It is not like that at all.

sigh I m so upset that it s over You got me at the ending there, Stephen You really, truly got me What can I possibly say about this wonderful, beautiful book That it s wonderful and beautiful No That s no where near enough praise This book made it up to my top 3 favorites list by King placing at 3 and is probably my favorite book of 2011 if not tied with Shutter Island Reading this book, I was so worried about what the ending would be because, let s be honest here, we know King isn t the best at handling endings Exhibit A Under the Dome , and I had a really strong feeling I knew what the ending would be, but that ending was just absolutely amazing It left everything wrapped up nicely, and was one of his better endings, if not his best or at least my favorite, even though it s not wrapped up with a pretty bow The last chapter made me grin ear to ear, but then it left me feeling sad beyond words can describe To be honest, after I turned the last page or better yet, clicked, since I own a Kindle , I just sat there and bawled my eyes out, to the point where my husband got worried about me Yeah It was that sad The characters in this book couldn t be better, and I really, truly mean that I loved every single character with the exception of Lee Harvey Oswald Poor Marina I loved George Jake s students, I loved George Jake, I loved Sadie, I loved Miz Mimi, and much I also really liked the purpose of the character the Card Man, even for the very short time he was in the book I would have liked King to expand a bit on that, but hey, the book s almost 1000 pages , but the real star in this book was the relationship between George Jake and Sadie Their love for each other was undeniable and irrevocable, and just so darn beautiful Who would have thought that the Stephen King we all know and love at least I know and love him could write a beautiful and touching romance alongside a thriller That was a great shock, and I hope he incorporates this skill of weaving a good relationship into a lot of his books to come Being a huge King fan, I couldn t wait for this book to come out But, in all fairness, I didn t expect to love it I thought it would be average, maybe even just okay , but let me tell you I really, really loved this book And if you aren t a King fan, please pretty please don t let that stop you from reading this book This book has absolutely no scary parts, for those of you who abstain from reading Stephen King s books because they are classified as horror, and, like I mentioned earlier on in this review, I actually cried at the end of the book the first time that I ve ever cried while reading a King novel You can tell that Stephen King put a lot of effort into writing 11 22 63, and his details of life in the late 50 s and early 60 s really made me wish I was alive then So, please, even if you don t like Stephen King, read this It s an absolutely beautiful book, and one I wish I can read for the first time all over again And if you re still not convinced to read this, would it help if I told you that there s Poundcake PS You will probably want a box of tissues handy towards the end And if you re listening to the audiobook, maybe two boxes.For those wondering, these are my top 3 favorite King books 1 It 2 The Shining 3 this may shock some people previously The Stand Now it s 11 22 63 If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples I ll love your face no matter what is looks like Because it s yours The past is obdurate for the same reason a turtle s shell is obdurate because the living flesh inside is tender and defenseless Home is watching the moon rise over the open, sleeping land and having someone you can call to the window, so you can look together Home is where you dance with others, and dancing is life For a moment everything was clear, and when that happens you see that the world is barely there at all Don t we all secretly know this It s a perfectly balanced mechanism of shouts and echoes pretending to be wheels and cogs, a dreamclock chiming beneath a mystery glass we call life Behind it Below it and around it Chaos, storms Men with hammers, men with knives, men with guns Women who twist what they cannot dominate and belittle what they cannot understand A universe of horror and loss surrounding a single lighted stage where mortals dance in defiance of the dark andTo listen to Stephen King read an excerpt from Dr Sleep, click here.PPS Dr Sleep is about Danny Torrance you know, from The Shining as an adult, and how he uses his psychic powers to help patients on death row at the hospital where he works, until a gang of vampires kidnap him Or something like that

Another big, big King book down This was truly and epic tale While I know every author has to do research to make sure that the book makes sense and doesn t sound ridiculous, this had to be the most research King has ever had to put into a book When discussing historical events and the potential impact of changing them both knowing what actually happened vs conjecturing what would happen if any details were changed , you have to make sure your knowledge of all related events is strong The two most common themes of this book are will the past allow itself to be changed and the butterfly effect one little change flap of a butterfly wing starting a chain reaction that leads to a landslide on the other side of the world If you don t have your history ducks in a row, it will be very hard to sell these themes, but King sells them very well I liked the extensive storytelling in this one It almost felt like 5 different novels storylines crammed into one Any of them would be an interesting story by itself, but none of them truly appreciated unless combined with all of the others I think that some may find that it is too much or that the story drags in places with inner monologue screaming get to the point already This didn t happen for me, but I could definitely understand it if some felt that way A couple of times it felt like the story was starting over and I was a few hundred pages in But, in the end I loved the whole package quick places, slow places, exposition, character development, backstory, etc all of it Compared to other King Well, the character development, interaction, and dialogue definitely felt like King At places it felt like a Dark Tower spin off maybe a little like The Talisman There are direct references to some of his other novels view spoiler specifically IT and Christine hide spoiler

I LOVED IT There s two main story lines 1 The Romance story with wonderful well developed characters 2 Stop A major event in U.S History its all well plotted throughout the book Both mixed together in some very intelligent satisfying ways.Stephen King knows how to blend the supernatural with history better than your average author celebrates nostalgic also without being sassy about it.I m often not a fan of time travel fiction reading but Stephen King improves this type of storytelling by adding themes, choices, and consequences in his story He does the butterfly effect trope creating ripples throughout time and improves on this by making time fight back, the past in 11 22 63 does not want to be changed 11 22 63 is easy page turning funAnd.At some point in your reading.You might want to take a break and enjoy Pound Cake for dessert this makes no sense to anyone unless you ve read the book..