[EPUB] ✵ On the Oceans of Eternity Author S.M. Stirling – Dailytradenews.co.uk

On the Oceans of Eternity txt On the Oceans of Eternity, text ebook On the Oceans of Eternity, adobe reader On the Oceans of Eternity, chapter 2 On the Oceans of Eternity, On the Oceans of Eternity d3bd77 Harry Turtledove Hailed Island In The Sea Of Time As One Of The Best Time Travel Alternative History Stories I Ve Ever Read, And Jane Lindskold Called Against The Tide Of Years Another Exciting And Explosive Tale Now The Adventures Of The Nantucket Islanders Lost In The Time Of The Bronze Age Continues WithOn The Oceans Of Eternity Ten Years Ago, The Twentieth Century And The Bronze Age Were Tossed Together By A Mysterious Event In The Decade Since, The Republic Of Nantucket Has Worked Hard To Create A New Future For Itself, Using The Technological Know How Retained From Modern Times To Explore And Improve Conditions For The Inhabitants Of The PastSome Of These Peoples Have Become Allies Some Have Turned Instead To The Renegade Coast Guard Officer William Walker And For Ten Years, The Two Sides Have Tested Each Other, Feinting And Parrying, To Decide Who Will Be The Ones To Lead This Brave New World Into The FutureNow The Official Battle Lines Have Been Drawn And Only One Side Can Emerge The Victor

About the Author: S.M. Stirling

Stephen Michael Stirling is a French born Canadian American science fiction and fantasy author Stirling is probably best known for his Draka series of alternate history novels and therecent time travel alternate history Nantucket series and Emberverse series.MINI AUTO BIOGRAPHY personal website source I m a writer by trade, born in France but Canadian by origin and American by naturalization, living in New Mexico at present My hobbies are mostly related to the craft I love history, anthropology and archaeology, and am interested in the sciences The martial arts are my main physical hobby.

10 thoughts on “On the Oceans of Eternity

The ending lacks the punch it needs for this series I guess the overwhelming number of battles described in this book just kind of sags your interest after a while Maybe concentrating on only few key battles would do the trick, but here we re faced withandbattlefronts as the book progresses As if the author set up the stage for another book then changed his mind The stay in Alba was redundant, equaly so the described ship voyages.It s a shame I thought we d seeof The ending lacks the punch it needs for this series I guess the overwhelming number of battles described in this book just kind of sags your interest after a while Maybe concentrating on only few key battles would do the trick, but here we re faced withandbattlefronts as the book progresses As if the author set up the stage for another book then changed his mind The stay in Alba was redundant, equaly so the described ship voyages.It s a shame I thought we d seeof Odikweos or other noteworthy historical figures, but no The whole Egypt thing was miserably short as well The parts that grip you are good, and the whole culture clash is fascinating, but that s overshadowed by battles The first book was by far the best of the bunch, but somehow I m not sorry I ve read the entire series I need to finishseries than I start anyway, so it s not a bad thing I ve concluded this journey There was nothing of interest on the TV anyway.On another note, I saw from reviews that the author s other series is far stronger, so I might try that next year

OK So I m done now It was painful to finish the series, but hey, I m adicted to reading.Stirling does not cover himself with glory in this series There are some interesting characters, and the basic story is quite good, but the pacing is awful, there are stretches of description and inner monologues that are interminable, and the sheer number of characters Stirling is trying do justice to is unmanageable.Considering this is the guy who wrote The General series, he s ALREADY dealt with the OK So I m done now It was painful to finish the series, but hey, I m adicted to reading.Stirling does not cover himself with glory in this series There are some interesting characters, and the basic story is quite good, but the pacing is awful, there are stretches of description and inner monologues that are interminable, and the sheer number of characters Stirling is trying do justice to is unmanageable.Considering this is the guy who wrote The General series, he s ALREADY dealt with the whole primitive culture affected by advanced technology theme, and done it MUCH better than he does it here.There were times, as I was reading this book and the second in the series not so much the first, probably because there were fewer characters and sub plots that I was nearly overcome with resentment, and I skimmmed whole sections as I could not force myself to focus on pages and pages descriptions for the least important and most minor locales This reads like an overly ambitious and poorly edited first book Clearly we have an author here who editors are shy to confront, and so the book sinks to lows of masturbatory detail and a SLEW of emotionally unaccessible characters.In the end, I was disappointed with the experience, and just glad to finish the ordeal

The series started off so well But the author clearly has nothing to say after his initial burst of enthusiasm Let me ask you what is it that you enjoy about time travel stories Or alternate histories for that matter Is it the detailed description of different cultures and the clash of civilizations that comes from bringing modern values into contact with ancient ones Is it the change and adaptation necessary to transform modern technology intoprimitive but still superior tech The series started off so well But the author clearly has nothing to say after his initial burst of enthusiasm Let me ask you what is it that you enjoy about time travel stories Or alternate histories for that matter Is it the detailed description of different cultures and the clash of civilizations that comes from bringing modern values into contact with ancient ones Is it the change and adaptation necessary to transform modern technology intoprimitive but still superior tech using the equipment of the time Is it the chance to see famous historical figures at work Or is it just an excuse to have repetitive and generic battle sequences that don t really lead anywhere or feature characters we know and care about If you selected any but the last you re likely to be disappointed with this novel While previous novels had at least a bit of cultural studies and technological ingenuity, this one consists entirely of battles These battles could be inserted interchangeably with any sort of colonial war, which makes me wonder what the point of the setting was All of them are told through the sort of fog of war approach in vogue nowadays, although at least in the ones with Marion the goals and tactics are clear enough Most of the others are told through characters we ve never met and don t bother to care about In fact, they re so inconsequential that we never even find out what happens to most of them Even POV characters.I suppose the idea is that after all the buildup in the previous books this one is supposed to be a cathartic epic finale The three problems with that are 1 The previous book suffered from many of the same problems and thus gave us no real buildup 2 The conclusion, when it comes, is abrupt and makes the epic battles given earlier irrelevant since it would have happened with or without them 3 The battle scenes are just really damned boring What these problems mean is that you could just skip from the end of the last book to the end of this one without really missing anything in terms of plot Seriously Only Marion s chapters taking on Tarhuntassa have any sort of impact The other battlegrounds are the siege of Troy drags endlessly and could have been finished in the last book , some raiding around central Anatolia resolves nothing and goes nowhere , a war of liberation in California entirely unconnected to anything else going on , and a battle at Megido thrown in at the last minute but resolved in a single chapter Why go through all of this when none of it actually resolves anything And of course, then there comes the epic conclusion Or rather the complete lack thereof All the momentum, stress, and buildup is discarded in a couple of paragraphs as the war suddenly ends and everything gets resolved with an astonishing lack of fuss and complete absence of buildup I was so taken aback by the ending that I assumed it was less serious than it seemed at first Because nobody could be stupid enough to kill off their entire cohort of villains in one go with no sort of buildup or sense of payoff, right It s a depressingly anticlimactic conclusion, made all the worse by the fact that the boring and endless battle scenes turn out to have been completely pointless None of that has any effect on the main plot God, what a useless waste.And by this point I m just fed up by how simple everything has become People just adapt way too quick Stirling is quick to counteract the preconception that our ancestors were just stupid primitives who were just too dumb and superstition ridden to pose any threat to us Instead, he constantly repeats the idea that the ancients were just as smart as us and lacked only our knowledge and experience, but this rapidly becomes a farcical parody of its own The cultures of the time bat barely an eyelash at all the modern ideas that they encounter and quickly become proficient in at least some of the modern arts of war Even a glance at preindustrial civilizations coming into contact with modern ones shows that this is simply ridiculous Change is hard, and takes place over the course of many generations I don t give a damn how ruthless and clever you are And none of those civilizations were as undeveloped as the ones seen here.So yeah, I ve soured on this series somewhat It took an interesting idea a whole town of modern men transposed into ancient times and ran with it to create an alternate history of sorts in the late bronze age I like the depictions of ancient cultures, but somehow the author lost track of this focus and put all his time into developing generic battle scenes that could be put into any other setting with no real loss of integrity What started off so well has ended as just a wet mess And a distressingly simplistic one for all his attempts to imply complexity Everyone realizes they could just get along if they tried and all live happily ever after Aww quiet retching noises

This is the final book in the Nantucket trilogy, a series that begins with the island of Nantucket being thrown back in time from 1988 A.D to 1250 B.C Ive had mixed feelings about the trilogy It was a fun premise, and there was a lot to like about the story I particularly enjoyed the encounters with ancient cultures and watching the characters figure out how to survive and accomplish their goals with limited modern materials and resources On the other hand, there were a lot of battles, to This is the final book in the Nantucket trilogy, a series that begins with the island of Nantucket being thrown back in time from 1988 A.D to 1250 B.C I ve had mixed feelings about the trilogy It was a fun premise, and there was a lot to like about the story I particularly enjoyed the encounters with ancient cultures and watching the characters figure out how to survive and accomplish their goals with limited modern materials and resources On the other hand, there were a lot of battles, to an extent that they felt tedious and repetitive to me.The third book was no different in terms of my reaction I really liked some parts, but there were other parts that made my eyes glaze over I thought theinteresting parts were earlier in the book, and things gottedious toward the end I was reasonably satisfied with the ending itself, although there were some clich aspects to it.So I enjoyed the series at times and was annoyed by it at other times I m glad I read it, but I m definitely ready to move on to new things

Not a bad little trilogy maybe a trifle long winded and a trifle too much sexuality Yes, sexuality is part of the human condition, but I still feel like a voyeur when the sex is supplementary to the plots and themes rather than advancing them These books, about the survival of the citizens of the island of Nantucket when it is mysteriously cast back into 1250 B.C.E, areabout civilization and culture than about the individuals.Nice wrap up though, and plays well on audio.

An enjoyable read series.

Oh my, does Stirling love details Seriously, I m not going to learn how to captain a ship by reading your book I know starboard and port I really don t need to know anything else I don t even know half the words you are using Because it couldn t hold my attention, it was hard to get through this book even though the author s other series, Dies the Fire, is one of my favorites.

See my full thoughts here here we ve got onedisappointing climax to a good series On the Oceans of Eternity is the finale to the Island trilogy and it really drops the ball Despite having a good setup it s so full of padding, pointless side quests, and anticlimaxes that it falls almost completely flat.Before I start complaining here s the good stuff The battles are still great, and some of the villains get some development Isketerol and McAndrews both See my full thoughts here here we ve got onedisappointing climax to a good series On the Oceans of Eternity is the finale to the Island trilogy and it really drops the ball Despite having a good setup it s so full of padding, pointless side quests, and anticlimaxes that it falls almost completely flat.Before I start complaining here s the good stuff The battles are still great, and some of the villains get some development Isketerol and McAndrews both have motivations beyond just wanting power and I found myself sympathizing with them, even if I didn t want them to win Of course Walker, the big bad of the whole series, is still just a cardboard cutout.Nothing else in Oceans is much good For starters, the last book didn t have much of an ending, it was meant to lead in to this one But that means that this one doesn t have much of a beginning either The very structure is fundamentally flawed, and that s exacerbated by the sheer amount of material that didn t have to be here There are scenes that go on for too long, scenes that don t add anything, and even an entire subplot in California that adds nothing If the characters fail at their mission, it means nothing to either side of the war and it s boring besides but that s a different issue.But worst of all is the ending Look below for specifics, but basically the setup is there for an action packed climax where the Nantucketers invade Greece and overthrow Walker s empire, but then something unexpected happens to completely change the situation And everyone gets to go home without sacrificing anything else of value view spoiler Walker gets assassinated by one of his allies and then his successors end the war without much fuss This might have worked okay if it happened when they were already about to lose but all it does here is rob us of a final battle Not to mention that it cheapens all the sacrifice the characters made since if Walker had been killed earlier then there never would have been a war to begin with, meaning all of this was unnecessary That s pretty shitty hide spoiler What an disappointing ending to a really neat series I guess if you read the first two and are still curious then go ahead and finish things off However, I m nowhesitant about recommending these books at all So Make up your own mind, I guess

On the Oceans of Eternity is the final novel in S.M Stirlings NANTUCKET series In the first novel, Island in the Sea of Time, which I really enjoyed, a strange electrical storm caused the entire island of Nantucket to be transported back in time to 1300 B.C It was entertaining to watch the islands citizens make this discovery and deal with the resulting personal, cultural, economic and political changes Then, one of the citizens, William Walker, decided to use his modern knowledge and On the Oceans of Eternity is the final novel in S.M Stirling s NANTUCKET series In the first novel, Island in the Sea of Time, which I really enjoyed, a strange electrical storm caused the entire island of Nantucket to be transported back in time to 1300 B.C It was entertaining to watch the island s citizens make this discovery and deal with the resulting personal, cultural, economic and political changes Then, one of the citizens, William Walker, decided to use his modern knowledge and technology to attempt to establish himself as emperor in this new world He left the island to search for people he could rule.The second book, Against the Tide of Years, felt very much like a middle book We watched the islanders trying to usher in an industrial revolution, but most of the plot Read More

I had very mixed feelings about this book At first I was really annoyed with the none to subtle rehash of the film Zulu I cannot for the life of me comprehend what the author was thinking by simply rehashing scenes from a 1964 film Enjoyed the film but did not enjoy having it plagiarised in print From then on the book improved marginally I liked the premise of the series, but thought its execution was flawed The world building was weak and not enough time was devoted to fleshing out the I had very mixed feelings about this book At first I was really annoyed with the none to subtle rehash of the film Zulu I cannot for the life of me comprehend what the author was thinking by simply rehashing scenes from a 1964 film Enjoyed the film but did not enjoy having it plagiarised in print From then on the book improved marginally I liked the premise of the series, but thought its execution was flawed The world building was weak and not enough time was devoted to fleshing out the main characters I did enjoy how the conflict between the main antagonists was developing but felt victory came all to swiftly and easily There was a reasonable build up to a fairly anticlimactic conclusion.The series promised much but in the end it failed to deliver