➨ [Ebook] ➣ The Stories of Paul Bowles By Paul Bowles ➳ – Dailytradenews.co.uk

The Stories of Paul Bowles chapter 1 The Stories of Paul Bowles, meaning The Stories of Paul Bowles, genre The Stories of Paul Bowles, book cover The Stories of Paul Bowles, flies The Stories of Paul Bowles, The Stories of Paul Bowles 89bd84692d2a5 The Short Fiction Of American Literary Cult Figure Paul Bowles Is Marked By A Unique, Delicately Spare Style, And A Dark, Rich, Exotic Mood, By Turns Chilling, Ironic, And Wry Possessing A Symmetry Between Beauty And Terror That Is Haunting And Ultimately Moral In Pastor Dowe At Tecat , A Protestant Missionary Is Sent To A Faraway Place Where His God Has No Power In Call At Coraz N, An American Husband Abandons His Alcoholic Wife On Their Honeymoon In A South American Jungle In Allal, A Boy S Drug Induced Metamorphosis Into A Deadly Serpent Leads To His Violent Death Here Also Are Some Of Bowles S Most Famous Works, Including The Delicate Prey, A Grimly Satisfying Tale Of Vengeance, And A Distant Episode, Which Tennessee Williams Proclaimed A Masterpiece

10 thoughts on “The Stories of Paul Bowles

I came to this collection the way I recently came to reading The Sheltering Sky years of occasional recommendation and rare instances of picking up a book by Paul or Jane Bowles, reading a passage, and putting it back A couple of years ago I arrived in San Francisco and every so often stayed on the floor of my friend s closet, which happened to hold no clothing but a section of his library We had our enthusiasms and differences in literary taste I found it hard to believe someone could actually recommend Clancy or Franzen in the same instance as Bataille or Berryman, and remained skeptical in some of our 4 AM discussions in the closet over Charles Shaw, Rockport, or Dante wine One of the three In the clarity which is a remarkably confident person being caught off guard, I remember the night I took The Sheltering Sky off of the shelf and inquired, as I d only know of Bowles from extensively studying the Beat Generation in my teens, a point in time I had thoroughly removed myself from by that summer, by then considering the Beats Especially after the traumatizing adolescent chagrin of arriving at City Lights to find Ginsberg bumper stickers on display, and the fedora clad cashier not knowing who Herbert Huncke was one of my passageways to adventure, intellectual stimulation, when I had not traveled, and lived in the middle of nowhere.I recall my friend saying he did not know what to say about The Sheltering S, a fine nocturnal way as any of admitting to not have finished it, but that he preferred the short stories.Well, I am still in avid avoidance of people like Johnathan Franzen, but when I was out buying presents at the used bookstore the other day and I saw the exact edition of The Sheltering Sky I had to take another peek The Kafka quote sold me, to the effect of There comes a point where there is no turning back that is the point to be reached The short stories were next to the novel I had to laugh, skim through, then purchase both My old friend from the closet was right here The stories are really good They evoke the scent, the setting, of writing by pencil in a hut, smoking hash and drinking extremely powerful tea, sifting through the breeze enhanced lucidity of dreams within nightmares, nightmares composed of self induced, albeit subtle, disaster, yet not always without hope hence, the perpetual return trip a kaleidoscopic whirlpool of the mind, harmoniously balanced by linguistic and structural mastery.The stories read like dual first hand reports The stranger in a strange land, possessing a camera eye, intact with x ray vision into the veins and minds of mankind, the human condition, as seen through an American transported to Morocco.The Bowelsian subtlety, the shadowy style, each syllable perfectly place, each analogy not spot on, little repetition this collection s a quiet gem for me I mean that in the instance of not quite rushing out and recommending the shorter fiction to everyone Kind of like the short work of Tennessee Williams Little spoken of, but when acknowledged, met with bewildering acclaim, little gems in the cannon of the English language Well then, why not share To quote the friend who introduced me to this book, when, naively, I asked him why the media portrayed San Franciscans as homosexual, drug addicted, both, or insane The futile implication there an obvious propaganda tool, thus one that confused me as a youngster, that the citizens of that great city did not care Oh, it s easy, he said We don t care because it keeps all the idiots out of the city And while the term idiot applies zero in my case, the work of Paul Bowles is, for me, another, private world, one which I will re read over the years, recommend once or twice, and return to, preferably over cheap California wine, in a closet, past midnight, when I temporarily lose faith in the art of literature, only to return from the work the way a relighted fuse burns faster, and onto business, that of alphabetical delirium There is nothing wrong with fedoras, save they re like not be worn between the ages of 30 and 70, or so I am told.

I can t think of anyone who writes strikingly than Bowles of The Self often, but not always, a cultured Westerner coming face to face with The Other Other ness, in Bowles s stories, functions like Nietzsche s void When it is stared into by a protagonist, prodded or investigated or even ostensibly subjugated, it is always staring right back waiting to infiltrate the protagonist, to explode him or her from the inside.In his introduction to this edition of the collected stories, Robert Stone writes of a certain something missing that many readers of Bowles claim to feel, and to balk at We trade sympathy for the absence of ordinariness, Stone writes It s than that, though If there is a single universe or sensibility uniting these stories, it s one in which the Other is utterly corrosive to the Self It s not that Bowles has left empathy out of these stories, it s that he constructs stories in which empathy is impossible There is a coldness here, a repetitive cruelty, that made these stories difficult for me to read at times So perhaps my giving these stories four stars instead of five is a reflection of my own tastes and beliefs than it is of the icy power of Bowles s art I d argue, though, that for all the absence of ordinariness Bowles gives us in setting, character, and plot, in theme he strikes the same few notes over and over strikes them beautifully, masterfully, no doubt, but I felt a certain monotony nonetheless.

There are some chilling stories in this tome The man chased by a legless hairy creature with flipper arms set the tone for this book But the stories are so short and the pattern shows up person A goes to foreign land, settles in, nothing happens, nothing happens, nothing happens, oh my Sainted Peter what the hell just happened I will never be able to explain this to my friends back in civilization what just happened completely unexpected for it could never occur there Never, I tell you

I read these over a long time, so almost none of the stories are fresh in my memory Bowles writes beautifully His stories, and attitude about human nature, make Conrad seem like an optimist At their core, for Bowles, people are unknowable and terrifying He illustrates this again and again by showing a lack of understanding between the natives of North Africa, and the visitors and expatriates who are mostly the subject of the stories The stories can be funny, savage, and wise sometimes all three at once.

One of my favorite all time books Many of these stories are pure atmosphere, but it s atmosphere so thick you can climb in and move around in them You can feel the creeping of time and the richness of air.

So many feelings of Deja Vu as I would struggle with the same turn of phrase, wondering if a story had been accidentally included twice in this massive tome The stories weren t BAD, persay, and there were a scattered few I enjoyed, but the vast majority were just so very, very dull I figured that since I adored The Sheltering Sky, I would like his works of short fiction I was sorely mistaken.

For some writers, praising the sentences of their work might have an undercurrent of exclusion maybe it doesn t add up to much , so you praise it down at a lesser level Let that be the disclaimer, I mean the opposite here.God, these sentences Each story is so good on a molecular level It s taken me forever to get through, because I keep leap frogging back to read the ones I ve already read The atmosphere just gets in your bones, the way you can feel the weather This is a book I ll be reading for years.

Disturbing and satisfyingly unsatisfying He builds a lot of dramatic tension, then resolves it or doesn t or sort of does in unexpected ways He explores and explodes the social s of Europeans of his time 1920s 1950s Warning there are no happy endings in these stories just less disastrous ones.

I love Paul Bowles I ve read almost every novel he s written This huge volume has short stories galore and is pure Paul Bowles The main reason I love him is because his stories usually don t end anywhere near the and they lived happily ever after end of the spectrum His stories and protagonists are often dark and pretty unlikable, in that order I love Paul Bowles

Paul Bowles is probably best known for his novel The Sheltering Sky, and likely for the movie made from it rather than his book, but apparently at least I seem to remember reading that somewhere and I m too lazy to look it up he himself considered his stories his superior effort, and it would of course not be the first time that most popular does not coincide with best I cannot judge that claim that myself, not having read any of Paul Bowles novels yet but I hope to remedy that eventually , but I do not regret having made my way through the almost 700 pages or their Kindle equivalent of this collection.I do not think anyone would claim for Bowles the status of a major literary figure he is rather too firmly entrenched in the comfortable conventions of nineteenth century realism for most of his career, and by the time he risks to wander outside of this familiar ground into modernist territory, that also has already become thoroughly explored and mapped by adventurous authors Bowles is interesting on a thematic level rather than a formal one which is not to say that he is a bad writer, his stories would not be literature if there was not some kind of interplay between form and content, but from a great author I d expect an attempt to go beyond the true and trusted, an attempt at transgression, at developing a unique voice Paul Bowles to me just seems too complacent for that.Which is a bit weird, as thematically many of the stories in this collection concern themselves with the opposite of complacency The works of Bowles are often said to be about Westerners Europeans Americans and their encounter as well as the ensuing often violent disillusionment with the lure of foreign cultures mostly North Africa South America But while that is true on a surface level it seems to me that there is another layer to this, one where the Europeans are not really blind to what is awaiting them, but seem on some level to actually crave the doom they are walking into They might not be aware of it, might not consciously want it, but still desire it in some deep, hidden stratum of their personality Whether one conceives of it in Freudian terms or not, I think most of Paul Bowles stories can only be comprehended with some conception of an unconscious.Even if the stories have someone from an Non Western culture as their protagonist or take place entirely in a Western context, there is almost always some kind of Other involved, often one that exercises some kind of dangerous, even fatal attraction on the protagonist that Other can even be located inside the protagonist herself, as is the case with the narrator of You are not I who turns out to be insane And while Bowles except for some stories occurring very late in this volume, with their publishing date 1977 and later never really moves beyond the conventions of realism, reality in his stories is quite often something that cannot quite be trusted.The protagonists in Bowles stories are often strangely passive, offering no resistance to what is done to them, enduring what they are going through with tacit acceptance like it was preordained It is not just that they are resigned to their fate but as if they could not even conceive of things being any different, and this unquestioning fatalism tinges everything with an eerie, dreamlike quality And even in the rare cases where someone is acting, it is not with any real agency instead, they get entangled in circumstances they do not oversee and set into motion events they cannot control like the boy in Senor Ong and Senor Ha or are outright delusional like the narrator in You are not I They also quite often have something childlike about them in fact, they surprisingly often are children or adolescents in that they sense themselves to be surrounded by a vast conspiracy of grown ups that they are not being let into and that is always just out of reach of their comprehension.Therefore, as vivid as Bowles evocations of it can at times get, the world his characters move through never seems quite real, it s texture and density are akin to a fever dream or a drug induced hallucination Mind you, the stories never get explicitely phantastic or outright surreal, but they at least the best among them have a slightly off kilter feel to them, like they were slightly out of focus, or maybe on the contrary too crisp and sharp in the details to be quite real This can be rather disquieting to the reader, even creepy, and at least in my opinion it is in those moments, when the hold of realist conformity on Bowles imagination slips that he is at his most impressive.In ending, let me add a remark on the edition of this collection It sucks It sucks, because it is pretty much non existent I am aware that this is not a critical edition, but even so all the readers gets here is a short and not particularly introduction by Robert Stone and the year of first publication at the end of each story One would have at the very least some information on when the stories were composed, where they were published and where collected, whether this are the complete stories of Paul Bowles, and if not, on what grounds they were selected all very basic stuff that even a non academic reader is likely to be curious about and that might help with placing the stories in a context and all of wich is missing from this edition.