❴Ebook❵ ➠ The Shield of Achilles Author W.H. Auden – Dailytradenews.co.uk

The Shield of Achilles chapter 1 The Shield of Achilles, meaning The Shield of Achilles, genre The Shield of Achilles, book cover The Shield of Achilles, flies The Shield of Achilles, The Shield of Achilles bf05e4a939244 Amazing E Book, The Shield Of Achilles Author W.H Auden This Is Very Good And Becomes The Main Topic To Read, The Readers Are Very Takjup And Always Take Inspiration From The Contents Of The Book The Shield Of Achilles, Essay By W.H Auden Is Now On Our Website And You Can Download It By Register What Are You Waiting For Please Read And Make A Refission For You

10 thoughts on “The Shield of Achilles

Auden writes poetry so that I reassess my connection to words Good poetry, great poetry, should always be about trying to arrange words so that they assume a magnificent beauty in their form and a pressing significance in the stories and feelings they convey W.H Auden is a poet who always manages to write just three our four words together so that I have to stop and just feel the words and images that they have created, and The Shield of Achilles is just such an example.Auden was not just a modernist poet purposefully using imagism create an aesthetic effect Auden was a timeless poet trying to really touch the net core that is humanity, and The Shield of Achilles demonstrates this dedication to a craft The book is divided into three sections which each possess their own themes and structures so that the reader is aware of three tones or strategies, and each of these strikes the reader in ways that are sure to puzzle, amaze, and entice the reader to dig deeper into the body of this craft.In summation, this collection is an important reminder too the reader that Auden succeeds by achieving numerous, little victories that begin to coalesce into one cohesive whole This collection is a real achievement by a real wordsmith who knows how important are the images and moments he offers And those strings of little victories linger after this reading like the echoes of Gregorian Chants, or reverberating machine gun fire striking Athenian shields.

I came to this collection of W H Auden s poetry through the title poem I was so taken aback with its interspersing of a Homeric scene with a gritty, realistic view of our current times I knew I had to get this collection On the whole, I enjoyed it, though The Shield of Achilles and Epitaph for the Unknown Soldier are the only ones that really moved me.The collection is broken up into three parts Bucolics , In Sunshine and in Shade and Horae Canonicae I didn t enjoy the first section It didn t grab me, though there was nothing wrong with it I was looking forward to the third section, as a riff off the liturgical hours I was hoping for something that was soothing or even something that ran counter to the concept of the hours, critiquing the concept I didn t find it, but again, that s just how it impacted me.The second section was the best of the three and contained the two poems I mentioned above The most impactful part of The Shield of Achilles was this stanza A ragged urchin aimless and aloneLoitered about that vacancy a birdFlew up to safety from his well aimed stone That girls are raped, that two boys knife a third,Were axioms to him, who d never heardOf any world where promises were keptOr one could weep because another wept.Simply put, wow Published on its own in 1952 and as part of this collection in 1955, it was a profound comment on society More than 70 years later, it still rings true and has much to teach us.In Epitaph for the Unknown Soldier, Auden has another potent commentary, this time compressed into just one sentence split over two lines Instantly, I thought about the wars our leaders have started To save your world you asked this man to die Would this man, could he see you now, ask why

There were some really good pieces in here, but overall I don t think that I m a fan of his style Plus, it was tricky to appreciate the third section on Christ.

For the reading challenge, I read this book of poems My rating reflects not how good or bad the poems are but my lukewarm affection for poems in general

Read this way too fast, like most of the books I read at NSA.

I wasn t familiar with most of these poems beyond the title one It s a different kind of side to a lot of the Auden greatest hits, but it s wonderful stuff A really cohesive collection.

I need to read this again.