❮Reading❯ ➿ Some Girls, Some Hats and Hitler Author Trudi Kanter – Dailytradenews.co.uk

Some Girls, Some Hats and Hitler chapter 1 Some Girls, Some Hats and Hitler, meaning Some Girls, Some Hats and Hitler, genre Some Girls, Some Hats and Hitler, book cover Some Girls, Some Hats and Hitler, flies Some Girls, Some Hats and Hitler, Some Girls, Some Hats and Hitler 9da264cddc98e FOR EVEN IN NAZI VIENNA, Trudi Realized, Women Still Looked In The Mirror She Knows That Even In The Bleak Darkness, We Feel, Love, Desire She Left No Child She And Walter Tried, With No Success Her Hats Are Long Lost, But Her Book Is Her Legacy, Discovered Once AgainFrom The Introduction By Linda Grant, A Uthor Of The Clothes On Their Backs, The Thoughtful Dresser And We Had It So Good In Trudi Kanter, Stunningly Beautiful, Chic And Charismatic, Was A Hat Designer For The Best Dressed Women In Vienna She Frequented The Most Elegant Caf S She Had Suitors She Flew To Paris To See The Latest Fashions And She Fell Deeply In Love With Walter Ehrlich, A Charming And Romantic Businessman But As Hitler S Tanks Rolled Into Austria, The World This Young Jewish Couple Knew Collapsed, Leaving Them Desperate To Escape In Prose That Cuts Straight To The Bone, Some Girls, Some Hats And Hitler Tells The True Story Of Trudi S Astonishing Journey From Vienna To Prague To Blitzed London Seeking Safety For Her And Walter Amid The Horror Engulfing Europe It Was Her Courage, Resourcefulness And Perseverance That Kept Both Her And Her Beloved Safe During The Nazi Invasion And That Make This An Indelible Memoir Of Love And Survival Sifting Through A Secondhand Bookshop In London, An English Editor Stumbled Upon This Extraordinary Book, And Now, Though She Died In , The World Has A Second Chance To Discover Trudi Kanter S Enchanting Story In These Pages She Is Alive Vivid, Tenacious And Absolutely Unforgettable

10 thoughts on “Some Girls, Some Hats and Hitler

This is a hard book to review How to entertain a question of value when holding in one s hands a memoir of holocaust years written by a resourceful and fashion conscious woman who manages to escape Vienna It is not the deepest of books It holds the reader at arms length and insists on noticing so many mundane things, which I think is part of what makes it an important piece of writing.I have read so much about Viennese Jews who loved their city, though they were often excluded and treated in injurious ways The heartbreak of WWII includes the feeling of being spurned by a lover Kanter feels the injustice and injury of being scorned by a beloved city, but she doesn t focus here too long Her focus jumps and slips, it doesn t remain fixed There is a skittishness and yet a very determined focus in here Kanter will not let us in too deeply, and she is adamant about that She will tell the story she is willing to tell, and that is all There is a fierce privacy in here, even as there is a breezy, conversational air of invitation Kanter rescues herself, her husband, her parents, from Vienna She stays alive in England during the years of bombardment She offers vivid descriptions of people, fashion and food, homes and neighborhoods She talks of hope, despair and desire There is a feeling of for everything spoken, there are six things unsaid On one hand it can be frustrating, but on the other hand seems appropriate There are the stories we choose to tell, the stories we choose not to tell There are the stories we can live with, and those we can t Sometimes what we choose to tell is told directly to protect us from having to reveal things that are than we can tolerate or make peace with And so I respect her choices, the invitation and its boundaries.

JOYREAD THIS BOOK If you want to understand what it was really like to live under the Nazisnot yet another fictional black and white account.This is real.The world of chic Vienna is so well conveyed and with charm and graceelegant prose and we see and imagine the life Trudi had..and it is fun to read Yes Fun.Then, all gets turned around but instead of writers who use hindsightwe wee how Trudi fights back for her business and her family and people do help herit is remarkable.She survives but so often by sheer chance. that no fiction writer could come up withand the love story is desperately moving.I read this in two days and she s still in my head Glorious.

This is Trudi Kantor s story of escaping Vienna, Austria and living through the war years in London Trudi was a fashionable young woman who owned a hat shop She designed her own hats, often after visiting Paris to go to the fashion shows to see what was in fashion for hats She loved her city she loved fashion and she loved Walter Ehrlich She seems to have been separated from, but still great friends with, her first husband Pepi when the book starts After she meets Walter and falls in love she and Pepi divorce so she can marry Walter, but Pepi remains a great and helpful friend to not only Trudi but also Walter Trudi s father is Jewish but her mother is not Walter is Jewish When the Germans occupy Venice, Trudi begins to plot their escape hers, Walters, and her parents In this memoir, she tells the story of their escape and life in London, including the internment of her husband and father because they were Austrian.Trudi is not an author she s a hat designer and an excellent one at that She wrote this memoir in 1984 She doesn t give us a chronological description, but rather tells chronological vignettes that provide a glimpse into the difficulties faced, the hardships endured, and how she felt at certain times, including, sometimes, a detailed description of what she wore Trudi tells of the friends and strangers who helped her, from the unknown cab driver to the doorman member of the Nazi party to the neighbors in her building, and others She was resourceful and lucky This is an easy to read book You will meet many interesting folks but will not learn what happens to all of them For the most part, it is told with a fair amount of distance The narrator relates what happened as almost as if she were an observer It is a good addition to the stories of those who managed to get away.

Who doesn t love buried treasure, especially when it s of the literary variety Part love story and part intimate history of the Nazis 1938 arrival in Vienna, Some Girls, Some Hats and Hitler was originally released and promptly forgotten in 1984 Wandering through a bookshop a few years ago, a British editor discovered the out of print memoir and decided to republish it What makes the book so instantly mesmerizing is Trudi Kanter herself, who fashioned sentences just the way she fashioned hats as a milliner in late 1930s Vienna each a dazzling, delicate object of delight When Hitler overruns Austria, there is plenty of tension to draw the story forward Jews are forced to wash the sidewalks with acid, her husband, Walter, is hunted by the SS, and Kanter must find visas that will allow them to escape to England But what distinguishes this particular tale is the lavish portrait of Vienna just before the war, back when people went to caf s for elevenses, delicate snacks and pastries with cream, and Sunday afternoon dates took place in forested gardens under chestnut trees Her yearning for this vanished life creates the kind of dark, dreamy melody that causes you to fall for this lost Vienna too And yet, Kanter is aware of what this era was built on The poor were getting poorer the rich, richer, she announces in retrospect In 1935, hats became smaller and smaller until a feather and a sequin was a hat In 1938, that age of decadence ends with the arrival of the Nazis Kanter escapes the atrocities in her hometown but not its devastating losses including her own young, dazzled way of looking at the world from that time when, as she describes, Kisses fly in all directions I try to catch them in my green butterfly net Read

I loved this book and I hope it eventually gets the recognition it deserves among WWII memoirs It s not written in any kind of lofty prose but it s accessible, eventful, and emotional I also like that a large part of the story is centered in Vienna and the city itself remains a character throughout, always recalled while the author is trying to adjust elsewhere There are so many stories from locations like occupied Paris and war torn Germany but relatively few from Vienna, especially one told by someone with a lifelong love for the city Unlike some other stories of Jewish survival in the face of Nazi persecution, hers isn t remarkable and unbelievable just clever and careful and that makes it interesting so often I ve read about Jewish survivors who are described simply, like obtained a visa, escaped to Britain before things got too bad It wasn t that simple and her story details it.And I love her storytelling voice she s honest, even when it doesn t make her look good She s overt and sexual with a lot of depth and human connection while maintaining enviable cleverness and intelligence I read, maybe in the intro, that it might not have gotten as many accolades because of her writing about men and clothes She writes about these but never shallowly, in connection to a greater picture, and it establishes her as a person with a firmly rooted life and loves excellent in her line of work and deeply passionate in her life It does suffer from an atrocious title though.

The overall story is interesting but the writing style is horrible Difficult to follow direction of thought as situations require interpretation that is not common knowledge in today s society and country There is a lot if self promotion of author s sexual prowess and desirability It didn t relate to the storyline, in most cases and seemed self congratulatory At the same time, the author s true love tended toward vanity as well She didn t trust him with fidelity and it seemed to almost be a contest to see who could garner the most attention from the opposite sex Very distracting from the other storyline The storyline of how Trudi figured out how to save herself and those closest to her is interesting I was also unaware that England interned possible enemies of the state in deplorable camps in Liverpool Quick read and educational I found the extraneous information to either exhibit a great deal of vanity and misguided drama or a huge cultural chasm.

The title grabbed me and then the story sucked me in This was compelling, lyrical writing and very hard to put down In the 1980s Trudi Kanter self published the story of her escape from WWII Vienna with her husband Walter The book then fell into obscurity Thankfully, it was rediscovered and published by Scribner From the introduction by Linda Grant There wasan instinctive shrinking away from accounts of the war that did not treat it with the seriousness and solemnity of historians Trudi must have seemed too shallow, too preoccupied with hats and men to be a sympathetic narrator of the life of the refugee After all, the emigres and exiles who flooded to England in the thirties, Sigmund Freud among them, were conductors, composers, poets, publishers, and cinematographers Milliners were de trop Her book went down into oblivion Some readers believed it to be a novel I found Trudi s shallowness to be a testament to humanity In the midst of horror, we still yearn for a world of red roses and romantic drives in the Vienna Woods, however distant they have become Trudi was an artist who loved beautiful things Is her story any or less worthy of telling than that of the serious people Her gift was to be able to mobilize her skills and energy, putting everything she had into surviving She got some lucky breaks, to be sure, but she never stopped trying to escape.One of the most powerful scenes is when she sees the Kohlmarkt area where she lives, blanketed with Nazi flags after the Germans march into Austria The shock slowly disappeared, but I feel gripped by a thick, sticky feeling It paralyzes me Sticking to my hands I can t work To my legs I can t walk To my brain I can t think or sleep Fear fills my black dreams, turning them round and round, sitting heavily on my chest I can t breathe.Few people know the real meaning of fear, its hopeless, crushing effect Fear had been in me for a long time This indescribable atmosphere There was something hovering over me, urging me What did I do I carried on, stubbornly, pretending to be deaf Stupid Of course, but helpless, too I was in love No changes, please No yesterdays, no tomorrows I was a coward.Not any I scrutinize myself with critical eyes Is it just a front Is there a crushed face under the mask No, I am strong now I will do everything possible to make sure we escape.And she did.

If there is one character in literature who I keep being reminded of in my reading, it s Holly Golightly Trudi Ehrlich Katnter could be the Holly Golightly of World War II survivalists Her city is Vienna Her talent is hat making Her writing style is delightful and big eyed She gets her man and sincerely loves him despite other suitors steadily popping up, she s insanely jealous, and her quick and resourceful mind and can do attitude save the day countless times, andshe knows class This is a WWII memoir unlike any other I ve read Trudi, whose father is a jeweler, is half Jewish and raised in a fashionable Vienna She owns her own hat making business She visits the fashion world of Paris and London She is a successful woman surrounded by 1940s women of power, money, sexual prowess, and beauty Walter, her second husband, is a successful inventor and businessman in the soft drink industry I really don t want to tell her story of escaping Vienna in 1938 and how she and her parents and husband survived London s war years She doesn t gloss over hardships, but her attitude makes them all palatable This would make a great addition to high school libraries I think teenage girls, and women of all ages for that matter, would enjoy her breezy, yet detailed, way of description Also she sets an inspirational example Even though they lose so much, they begin again She and Walter believe in each other and support each other and are always willing to do what they can for others At times, the telling was a bit messy and I needed to reread a passage to see if I missed something There is also a little jumping around Some passages are dated, most are not But I didn t feel this detracted much from my reading pleasure And, since she had passed away by the time the book was rediscovered and republished, there could be no fact checking It is, simply, Trudi s telling, Trudi s book.

This book seemed like it was told through journal entries as opposed to a straight novel, so it got sounded disjointed at times Even though it was hard to understand and connect with the characters, I still enjoyed the story It was refreshing to read a Holocaust WWII story with a happy ending.

Really excellent, a beautiful account of some of Europe s ugliest moments An interesting perspective fashionable, successful, upper class Jewish female and additional complications divorce, remarriage,suicide make for a unique read.