➾ [Download] ➾ The Little Leftover Witch By Florence Laughlin ➳ – Dailytradenews.co.uk

10 thoughts on “The Little Leftover Witch

Sweet little old fashioned chapter book about a family who takes in a little lost witch Yes, at times it slips toward the saccharine, and the story is definitely dated But for the most part, this is just a nice story about the power of love Some readers seem to take issue with how Felina is changed, seeing this as a kind of brainwashing or repression of her interesting differences Certainly a skilled author would have spent time showing how the family changed, too But this story is not one about a child from a different culture who is repressed into our society s modes of behavior It isn t about culture at all the author never shows us what the witches society is like because it doesn t matter It just represents Felina s inability to be part of a normal family I grant you, that s normal for 1960 The story is part of the family of stories of children damaged and distanced by their early experiences, who are accepted, loved, and taught to be part of society again Think of Understood Betsy, The Good Master, The Secret Garden, etc BTW this story is the OPPOSITE of the trope about the repressed people who take in the orphaned stranger, and find they are changed by the child, instead of the other way around Anne of Green Gables changes Marilla far than Marilla civilizes her Heidi opens her grandfather s heart to love and friendship again.

This was a book I remember discovering in one of my 5th grade teachers rooms I picked it up to read then and loved it immediately I never owned my own copy but was able to find one recently Upon reading it again after than 30 years, it reminded why I loved it so much It was such a beautiful and touching story about belonging with people who love you.

I had this book when I was nine years old, I can t believe I d forgotten about it I m not a big fan of books about witches well, I don t necessarily hate witch stories, but I m not seeking them out, either So, this one had slipped my mind Anyway, it s a really funny little story, surprisingly not dark or creepy at all, and the illustrations are great, too.

This was my very favorite book as a child I checked it out repeatedly at the library and read and re read it many times I am looking to purchase a copy of it so I can revisit the Doon family as an adult and see if the magic is still there

This was one of my favorite books when I was in elementary school I m so glad it s back in print AND available for Kindle I was surprised by how much I remembered, some of it word for word It clearly made an impression on me.

Very cute story about Felina, a little witch who broke her broomstick on Halloween, and the Doon family who owned the tree she landed in Witches can only fly on Halloween, as everyone knows, and so, Felina was Earth bound for a whole year The Doon family did what any family would do they put a found witch ad in the newspaper Over the year, Felina faced all the challenges that any seven year old would There was reading and math to do, doctor s to visit, figuring out birthday parties, and even the rules of Christmas.

This is a sweet little book that will be perfect for Halloween read aloud It reminded me a little of the Paddington books in pacing and the fact that each chapter is a little story within the story At only 75 pages, it s also a very quick read While it is a bit dated in attitude than anything , the story stands up to the test of time The only thing it would benefit from are some nice witchy illustrations

In fourth grade I had a magical teacher Her name was Mrs Darflinger She had flaming red hair, much like my own, and dressed in colors I had only dreamed of She ran a tight ship, but if we had reached all of our goals for the day, the final half hour of class was dedicated to listening as she read to us from books that still dance in my memory October was filled with stories of chilly nights, spooky goblins and eerie adventures as we worked our way to what was hands down, the best class party every year that of Halloween The last book of the month was by far my favorite The Little Leftover Witch by Florence Laughlin.The Little Leftover Witch is the sweet tale of Felina, a young witch that somehow manages to break her broom, thus grounding herself with the humans until the next Halloween She s invited to stay with the Doon family and they warmly welcome her into their home and their lives Felina is determined to retain all her witchiness and to be as miserable as possible in the face of all their kindness It s not long though, until she finds herself warming up to their acceptance and she begins to learn what it means to be part of a family Mr and Mrs Doon allow her to continue wearing her witch s hat where she keeps all of her magic , but they insist she attend school with Lucinda, their daughter of about the same age Human school is very different from witch school, with very different subjects, but Felina dives in, and with the help of the humans surrounding her, learns to read and begins to make friends.Felina is eagerly anticipating the upcoming holiday season, but is terrified when a neighborhood bully tells her that witches don t get visits from Santa because he only visits good little boys and girls Convinced she ll receive nothing, she pours all of her energy into being as mischievous as she can possibly be When gifts arrive for her on Christmas morning, she can hardly believe her eyes A transformation begins to take place in Felina that day and by the time the next Halloween rolls around, she has embraced a whole new magic, that of a loving family.The story was written in the early 60 s and is a bit dated, but not at all to the point of removing the enjoyment of the tale being spun The unrepentant moral of the story is that the love of a family is the true magic When preparing this review, I came across a few others that felt that the book was flawed in that it presented the message that you can t be who you really are if you want to be accepted Felina did not remain an angry witch She changed But in my opinion, they couldn t be farther off the mark Felina didn t change in order to be accepted she changed because she was accepted Love has a way of doing that.

I checked out this book on the recommendation of a library patron She described a sweet book that she had enjoyed reading to her children, and I agreed with her through the first half of the book.The story begins on Halloween night, when a little witch gets stuck in a tree with her broken broom When the Doon family finds her, she s snarly and rude as she explains that witches can only fly into the human world on Halloween As midnight strikes without a functional broom she tries several cleaning implements in the Doon s house , little leftover Felina is stuck with the humans for a whole year The Doon s daughter, Lucinda, becomes Felina s role model for good behavior She s docile, well behaved, quiet, clean, and not nearly as independent as her magical counterpart The Doon parents reinforce the example of good behavior by slowly conforming Felina to their expectations as a family Cleanliness and polite manners are one thing, but glowing with happiness when Felina ultimately loses her streak of witchly mischief often harmless is another In the end, the father decides that Felina shouldn t go back to the witches, even though they come to find her the next Halloween Unless I skimmed over it, no one asked Felina what she would choose to do nor was there any consideration that she might have had an important family structure with the witches.In the end, Little Leftover Witch feels like Adventures with Dick and Jane run amuk the adventure is discovering something new, but the resolution is to dress up the newness as something familiar until the adventure is no longer recognizable as its original self Above all, the story teaches teaches that people are better off erasing and ignoring differences instead of understanding them.

Unfortunately, this new edition does not have the pictures by Sheila Greenwald Doing a Google image search reveals some, and makes it clear that they would have added a lot to the story.And I feel fortunate in that I m old enough to recognize some of the dated cultural references and assumptions They might jar a modern child Otoh, they might intrigue him or her However, it s still a nearly perfect fable about an abandoned, forlorn child who acts out her insecurities but is loved by her new family nonetheless, and finally learns to love them back and to feel secure and be happy.No, it is not about squelching differences the resolution is explicit about that And no, it is not about modern Pagan good witches It is a fable Iow, it is a theme that is made subtle by being disguised as a fun children s story.I wish I had known it when I was young Absolutely delightful Highly recommended And very short, so you can easily read it yourself before passing it to your child, if you re still nervous I will try to find others by author.