★ No Peace for the Damned PDF / Epub ✈ Author Megan Powell – Dailytradenews.co.uk

10 thoughts on “No Peace for the Damned

I crushed his hand instantly, the bones breaking to bits under my grip I slammed a quick extended knuckle fist into his larynx, no than bruising his windpipe, but incapacitating him nonetheless Then I swung him completely out of his chair, twisting him to his knees in front of me, his back pressed to my front, his broken handed arm pinning him in place The Glock 34 he d had tucked into the waistband of his jeans now rested nicely in my other hand I pressed the gun to his temple.Magnolia was born into a sadistic and cruel family Gifted with off the charts supernatural abilities, including a body that completely regenerates no matter what damage is done to it, her father, uncle and brothers spend their time using her as a guinea pig to fine tune their sadism After one particularly brutal night she escapes from the family estate and lands in the lap of Thirteen, leader of the Network, a shady organization fighting against supernatural terrorists At first all she wants is to escape the violence and be left alone but when those she has come to love are kidnapped by her family, she has no choice but to return to the location of all her nightmares in a desperate bid to save them No Peace for the Damned is supernatural fiction at it s best Megan Powell writes a book that sucks you in from the first page It is a brutal and terrifying battle between good and evil Thoroughly entertaining.

It feels like there is still so much of this story to tell and I m frustrated now looking forward since the series is unfinished and there s been no sign of the author online for almost 2 years Which makes me think that the third book will never be finished.

Book Info Genre Dark Urban FantasyReading Level AdultRecommended for Fans of darker urban fantasyDisclosure I received a paperback ARC from the Vine program in exchange for an honest review All opinions are my own.Synopsis Magnolia Kelch is no stranger to pain Beautiful and powerful, she s spent her entire life at the mercy of her sadistic father and the rest of the Kelch clan, who have tortured her and tested the limits of her powers After one particularly heinous night that leaves Magnolia nearly dead, she finally sees her chance for escape But this first taste of freedom is short lived when she collides with Thirteen, head of the Network a secret organization dedicated to fighting supernatural criminals who recruits her into the group Even as she s coming to grips with this new life and the horrific memories that still haunt her, she s conflicted by her growing attraction to fellow team member Theo and the emergence of new, untested abilities After months of grueling training, her loyalty to the team is tested when she learns her target is the Network s most wanted the Kelch family Revenge may course through her veins, but so does the blood of the Kelches And opposing her family may cost her the thing she treasures most After all, Magnolia is still a Kelch And the Kelches are damned.My Thoughts This is a darker urban fantasy, and one that we sort of jump into the middle of the story, which makes it a bit hard to get one s feet under oneself as the story starts rolling However, most questions are answered by the end of the book.My main problem with the story is this Magnolia has been being tortured by her family all her life She is 22 before she escapes, yet she s completely rational and well adjusted to modern life How does that happen She should be bug house nuts, at the very least, and certainly not the least bit comfortable in the real world.

I was going to say that this book really frustrated me as I was reading it but that s not true It was Magnolia s character that really got on my nerves I just couldn t click with her at the start of the novel and then things didn t improve from there on in There s a limit to how powerful you can make your characters before the book becomes a form of wish fulfilment instead of an interesting story, and Magnolia is far beyond that limit She s got all the basics super strong, super fast, super senses Beyond this she s also got in her bag of tricks invisibility, telekinesis, telepathy, super sexiness everyone lusts after her , the ability to dig thoughts out of others minds or force her own thoughts into their minds, healing both herself and others And all this in just the first 5 chapters There are plenty abilities that crop up later on too She s just too much I think the final straw for me was when she healed another character by just breathing on his wounds No, just no When no one else, except her family, have any powers and even her family s abilities are nothing next to Magnolia s she s so overpowered that I couldn t bring myself to accept her Things were going wrong at the very start of the novel her personality didn t appeal to me but I decided to give the book a fair chance It didn t pick up for me and the I read, the I found myself nit picking it apartFor one, this girl has supposedly been held hostage in her family home and tortured beyond the brink of death her healing powers are so powerful that she can heal herself from every injury every day of her life for 22 years This girl would be completely off her rocker Instead she s not only socially adept, she s even got slang going It s a shame because a number of the supporting characters were quite interesting, though none developed to their full potential Had Magnolia been believable, the story could have had a great premise As it was, I just went from frustration to frustration I am in no hurry to follow of her adventures Unfortunately this turned out to be a very frustrating read for me.

Meh.

This was a hot, exciting read There is horrific violence, but no explicit sex It s still a definitely adult read that is immensely enjoyable.Magnolia s life has been impossibly hard and it s unthinkable what she has gone through so far To live with your family trying to kill you every day That s horrible Mag is one tough cookie though.Theo may have been the male star of the story, but I really loved Thirteen Aside from the fact that his name is ridiculous and not a real name, he is such a nice guy He doesn t get nearly enough credit or face time.The most brutal and scary ability showcased in the book is the ability to mindsweep I think the name should be mindrape, it better matches the brutal and painful experience the victim has I would never want it to be a real ability, too scary to think about.I mentioned the book was hot, but chapter 30 is wowzers It is hot and sexy without any explicit details If there was ever a scene that you want, need, ache to have end in hot animal sex, it s chapter 30.Overall, I can t wait for the second book This one ended surprisingly well, albeit maybe a bit quickly I can t say I love the final scene, but I can live with it Especially if I go reread chapter 30 I guess it will have to do until the next book comes out.

Would have been five stars if it wasn t for the overly used trope of a promiscuous hero

I would love it if you visited this review at my blog FANGS, WANDS and FAIRY DUST NO PEACE FOR THE DAMNEDMegan Powell47 North Publishing7 10 2012Book obtained at BEA No remuneration was exchanged and, except as noted all opinions herein are my own Magnolia Kelch is no stranger to pain Beautiful and powerful, she s spent her entire life at the mercy of her sadistic father and the rest of the Kelch clan, who have tortured her and tested the limits of her powers After one particularly heinous night that leaves Magnolia nearly dead, she finally sees her chance for escape But this first taste of freedom is short lived when she collides with Thirteen, head of the Network a secret organization dedicated to fighting supernatural criminals who recruits her into the group Even as she s coming to grips with this new life and the horrific memories that still haunt her, she s conflicted by her growing attraction to fellow team member Theo and the emergence of new, untested abilities After months of grueling training, her loyalty to the team is tested when she learns her target is the Network s most wanted the Kelch family Revenge may course through her veins, but so does the blood of the Kelches And opposing her family may cost her the thing she treasures most After all, Magnolia is still a Kelch And the Kelch are damned meganpowellbooks.comThis recently released novel is compelling and in many respects is well written I found myself identifying, to a point, with Magnolia, who has never fit in To a point But, the lack of detail detracted from the story Magnolia is a survivor, the ultimate survivor But she really doesn t seem to have much of a personality and, maybe she wouldn t after what she went through Why is her family powerful and evil How did they get these powers The story jumps around revealing dribs and drabs of mysteries, only to launch further mysteries along the vein of the plot of LOST.I think there s a mystical component to Magnolia s family s power, but I am not sure Why are the Kelches the way they are What is the source of their misogynistic behavior Is their goal world denomination The story is told from Magnolia s point of view, speaking to the reader like confidants But it s as if we should understand already, as if her past, and her family s was some kind of inside story and we were on the inside.The story is filled with suspense and action I m never sure from where Network evolved How did Magnolia learn to fight To train others to fight If she was stronger why hadn t she escaped before Why do people become devoted to her immediately And, what is the connection she feels to another agent I feel like there was a book before this one that needed to be read Basically, I am saying it was an enjoyable book and I wanted to see how the immediate situation resolved, but there was too much mystery and not enough world building Maybe future books in the series will have explanatory information This is a story about evil, inexplicable evil and how something decent can survive in it I want to know the rest of Magnolia s story, but I want to understand her world as well.

Magnolia Kelch has spent her whole life being tortured by her sadistic father, uncles and brothers Ever since they discovered that she is impossible to kill they have subjected her to horrific experiments and never ending pain When she finally manages to escape from the family estate she is rescued by Thirteen, leader of the Network, an organisation created to fight against supernatural terrorists The Network s biggest target is the Kelch family and Magnolia has vital information that could help them finally bring down one of the most dangerous supernatural crime families But can Magnolia bring herself to turn against her family even after everything they have done for her and even if she does will the Network trust the information she gives them I love urban fantasy so was keen to try Megan Powell s debut novel No Rest for the Damned This is the first book in a new series although no release date has been confirmed for future books at this time This wasn t a perfect start to the series but it definitely has potential and I will be reading the next book to see what happens to Magnolia next The story is quite dark in places and the flashbacks we see of the torture that Magnolia was put through was quite disturbing, this isn t a book I d recommend to the particularly squeamish.I found the abilities that Magnolia and her family have interesting I always like reading about psychic gifts but most of them are powers I have come across before so they don t stand out as particularly unusual I would have liked of an explanation about how they came to have these gifts and also about how many other people in the world are also supernaturals, this was never really made clear and it would have added an extra layer to the story if we had been given information.Magnolia herself was likeable enough but I found her frustrating at times She showed her amazing ability to kick ass occasionally but there were times when I felt she was a bit too quick to accept orders from members of the Network Considering her history with her family I expected her to be either into getting revenge or alternatively less willing to face them she seemed to sway between one and the other and I felt she would have had a much firmer opinion about what she wanted to do I also hoped we would be offered of an explanation for the fact that she constantly had a bottle of whisky in her hands and couldn t go than two minutes without drinking from it Towards the end of the book it was implied that she drank to drown out the voices she could hear in her head she was a powerful psychic who could read the minds of everyone in a rather large area around her This made a lot of sense but I would have preferred if the explanation had come sooner and was in a bit detail it would have made me sympathetic with Magnolia right from the beginning.I like the idea of the Network and the characters we were introduced to have potential but I never really felt like we got to know any of them well enough, there were too many people for so little page time and I had trouble remembering who was who If you can t remember who a character is it is hard to care much about what is happening to them and that was one of the problems I had I do think that the group could be really good once we get to know them better though I am interested to find out about Thirteen, he often thinks of his daughter when he looks at Magnolia but when he sees her with Theo he acts like a jealous potential boyfriend which I found slightly disturbing I m hoping that things will become clearer regarding their relationship in future books I found it hard to become invested in the romance between Magnolia and Theo because the attraction between them has a supernatural element to it that is never explained I am curious to see how that plays out in the future but I hope the series doesn t change to focus mainly on the romance.Overall I feel that No Peace for the Damned didn t quite live up to it s potential but was far from a bad book The book definitely had a readable quality that made it a page turner and I read it in just two sittings Considering this is a debut novel I have confidence that the series will only get better with each book and I m definitely planning on reading the next instalment to see if I m correct.

I was strange, beautiful, ethereal I was a monster. Dark, intense, and incredibly disturbing No Peace For the Damned is an urban fantasy debut with a large dose of horror As a reader who is fascinated by gore and violence and protagonists who straddle the line between good and evil, this was an immensely enjoyable read.Powell has created a world where supernaturals possess a wide variety of abilities telepathy, telekinesis, rapid healing, invisibility, enhanced strength and speed, and The potential powers seem limitless The story centers around one particular supernatural family that strictly uses its power for evil The Kelches.The story s protagonist, Magnolia, is a mistreated member of the Kelch family who finally escapes after years of being subjected to severe abuse, torture, and cruel experimentation She meets a man named Thirteen who leads a team that is a part of the Network, a group dedicated to stopping supernaturals who abuse their powers Coincidentally, Thirteen s objective is taking down the Kelch family and to accomplish that goal he needs Magnolia s help.I have to admit that I loved Mag s character from the very beginning She s strong and resilient with a quick temper and extreme power She s made real and vulnerable by the very raw, painful emotions and memories she experiences through nightmares and thoughts of time spent with her sadistic family.Throughout the story, Magnolia struggles through many changes and new experiences She has a man that shows her kindness and affection for the first time in her life, team members that treat her with open hatred and hostility, and a stranger whose presence affects her so powerfully that it feels supernaturaland dangerous.As the story progresses, Mag is pulled deeper into the Network s operation against the Kelch clan and you get the idea that she s going to cross paths with them eventually I ll admit that the thought of Magnolia being placed anywhere near her family again had me nervous and on the edge of my seat Powell paints such a vivid, terrifying picture of these merciless monsters that you can t help but to feel the need to scream at Mag to run the other way But at the same time, a small part of me wanted to witness her testing her abilities against them since they were no longer able to hold her back.The story overall could have benefited from world building There are too many questions about the Network and supernaturals in general But even without this information, I would still add this debut to my list of favorites Mag s attempts at starting a new life, the glimpses in to her haunted memories and the progression of her supernatural abilities all had me eager for No Peace For the Damned had me hooked from the very first page and I would recommend this to any reader who enjoys the darker side of urban fantasy.http www.addicted2heroines.com 2013

No Peace for the Damned summary pdf No Peace for the Damned, summary chapter 2 No Peace for the Damned, sparknotes No Peace for the Damned, No Peace for the Damned 768b02b Magnolia Kelch Is No Stranger To Pain Beautiful And Powerful, She S Spent Her Entire Life At The Mercy Of Her Sadistic Father And The Rest Of The Kelch Clan, Who Have Tortured Her And Tested The Limits Of Her Powers After One Particularly Heinous Night That Leaves Magnolia Nearly Dead, She Finally Sees Her Chance For Escape But This First Taste Of Freedom Is Short Lived When She Collides With Thirteen, Head Of The Network A Secret Organization Dedicated To Fighting Supernatural Criminals Who Recruits Her Into The Group Even As She S Coming To Grips With This New Life And The Horrific Memories That Still Haunt Her, She S Conflicted By Her Growing Attraction To Fellow Team Member Theo And The Emergence Of New, Untested Abilities After Months Of Grueling Training, Her Loyalty To The Team Is Tested When She Learns Her Target Is The Network S Most Wanted The Kelch FamilyRevenge May Course Through Her Veins, But So Does The Blood Of The Kelches And Opposing Her Family May Cost Her The Thing She Treasures Most After All, Magnolia Is Still A Kelch And The Kelch Are Damned

• Paperback
  • 254 pages
  • No Peace for the Damned
  • Megan Powell
  • English
  • 14 May 2018
  • 9781612183602

About the Author: Megan Powell

Born and raised in the Midwest, I have a strange affinity for State Fairs and basketball humor When not writing I am often found reading, usually feeding my paranormal romance addiction I love cheap coffee with tons of sugar and can eat no bake cookies by the dozen Exercising isn t bad, but I m pretty sure dieting is the work of the devil.