❮PDF / Epub❯ ☆ Temeraire: In the Service of the King ✪ Author Naomi Novik – Dailytradenews.co.uk

10 thoughts on “Temeraire: In the Service of the King

Being a fan of Patrick O Brian and the Aubrey Maturin series as well as Bernard Cornwall s Sharpe books, I was intrigued with Naomi Novik s Temeraire series On the whole, I would give it a C B First to the good stuff Novik is a good writer She manages to capture the flavor of the Napoleonic era often than not though she can t hold a candle to O Brian s evocation of early 19th century Britain She s also created likable characters in William Laurence and Temeraire Now the bad stuff and bad here is only relative There were two areas that spoiled my complete enjoyment of the novel First, the physics of dragon flight There are no fantasy elements in the novel beyond the existence of dragons but, even here, they are naturally occuring animals, not magical beasts and there s even a faux scientific report to the Royal Academy about dragons So, one expects that the accepted rules of physics, gravity, etc., are going to be obeyed But I couldn t really accept the idea of whole crews of men climbing over flying dragons like seamen in a ship s rigging even allowing for air sacs that reduced the dragon s weight, the sheer tonnage should have kept them on the ground or at the very least extremely unwieldy in flight And that s another thing, these air sacs are mentioned several times but never explained Are they full of hydrogen Helium Some other lighter than air gas God knows, if they re full of hydrogen, then these dragons are flying Hindenburgs and no sane person would ever go into combat with them particularly combat where guns are present The second thing that bothered me about the series was that the implications of dragons and men interacting with each other are not really explored Essentially, Novik has lifted British seamen from ships of the line and put them on dragons of the line If humans have been dealing with dragons and vice versa since at least Roman times there s no specific mention of Westerners dealing with them any earlier than that, though you would imagine they did it would have had to profoundly change society In religion alone do dragons have souls Did Christ or a draconic Christ minister to dragons In a Medieval society, these questions would have mattered Would a highly intelligent species which dragons, by and large, appear to be really have put up with humans manipulating their breeding, etc., until Temeraire comes along in the 19th century I just can t help but think that the dragons are simply window dressing a cute twist on the Napoleonic Wars theme Those two caveats aside, however, I would recommend the Temeraire series to interested readers but don t expect too much.

If this collection had contained only the first book, it would be way up there in the five star range Instead it s a collection of three books with an unfinished storyline, and Books 2 3 aren t especially satisfying in of themselves As much as I love books set in this general timeframe not to mention Temeraire himself for me those two books were simply too caught up in the exacting presentation of the larger story arc The first book, however, was self contained, and a delight in every way, and is the reason I finally settled on four rather than three stars From the book s voice to its thoughtful consideration of the dragon logistics to Laurence s unabashed adoration of his dragon companion not to mention the wonderful Temeraire himself it was a sorry it ended page turner Go read it

The Napoleonic Wars is my favorite time era in Britian sp after the Victorian Era, so imagine my surprise when I found a book series that basically just adds dragons to it I was hooked from chapter one It was amazing This particular book incorporates the first three books in the series I love the writing and the main character, Temeraire He s an amazing dragon and I love what Naomi Novik has done with him and all the other dragons she created I also love that his captain, Will Laurence, used to be a Navy man so that when he goes into harness with Temeraire he s just as new to the whole experience as the reader I look forward to the second half of this series, as it looks to be just as good I would recommend this series to anyone who likes dragons, the Napoleonic Wars, or just a great fantasy adventure series with a slight twist.

Once I got started I couldn t put it down You can tell because I effectively read it in 1 2 days I got sucked into the fantastical world where dragons talk Laurence s affinity for Temeraire is so sweet and endearing, as is Berkley s camaraderie with his dragon and Captain Harcourt with Lily I want a talking dragon Watching Laurence and Temeraire s relationship evolve throughout the book, in a time of war no less, was fascinating U learn with Laurence about dragons and their peculiarities The one thing I thought this book didn t need was to be in a historical setting with Napoleon It was quite jarring and didn t even really seem to matter to the plot Overall though, an enthralling beginning.

loooove, love, love this series these dragons are lovable, funny, smart the adventures both the riders and their dragons face had me up all night, literlly could not sleep until i finshed the book i read the first 3 books in a weeks time its been along while though since i did, but i remember temaraire and the rock well still giggling can t wait to finish 6, 7 and enticipating publishment of 8 in 2013 only reason i have not read them all yet is, i am not rich enough to support my reading addiction lolto many other books to be read, i read and listen audiobooks to at least 1book a week but this story is one of my all time favs

I generally do not review my books in writing I am a speak about the book fan, but honestly for those of you into alternate history fantasy BTW, this has been only my second foray into it this series was amazing Novik has a way of captivating you with her writing and this series hooked me When I finished the last book, I wanted Time to find out what she is working on next, I think I have another favorite author.

Only on Chapter 2, but so far I m really enjoying it I was wary of talking dragons and dragonriders since I hated Pern, but I like the different, historical milieu and the characters so far are way likeable than Anne McCaffrey s.

My sweethearts 3 3 3

I borrowed this from my friend and I couldn t put it down

This is three books in one volume, and I read straight through all three as one I shall attempt to discuss them both singularly and individually here, but make no promises as to the cohesion of my arguments Consider yourselves forewarned.First and foremost, the narrative of this tome is, in style as well as content, very British By this I do not only mean that it follows a main character in Captain William Laurence who is a British naval captain at the outset of His Majesty s Dragon, but also that the prose itself is gobsmacked by British style and sensibilities The author wrote this very clearly with the intention of having it read like a Victorian era British novel, minus a few small details in nomenclature and dating If you read and enjoyed the Master Commander series by Patrick O Brian, this will appeal to you The setting is the same The Napoleonic Wars Not only is the reader struck by the very similar opening of both books, but the characters seem to be virtually interchangeable This notion is very quickly dispelled when the narrative introduces the reader to the fantastical element in the form of a large dragon egg captured by the British ship.The narrative swiftly and deftly maneuvers the reader into understanding that this world is not the world we live in, but one in which dragons exist and have existed the entire time Rather than telling a story of a familiar world suddenly invaded by or exposed to dragons, this narrative instead offers the tale of a world in which dragons are part and parcel to the whole It is our world, if we d had dragons all along In this way the narrative allows the reader to play into the fantasies of dragons without the necessity of explaining how the population adapted to them, or is adapting The world of the dragons is explored through a main character who is foreign to the details of being a dragon rider, but not to the world in which dragons exist Much like the world of Pern that Anne McCaffrey made so real, dragons belong to their own class, and those who live with them are likewise a class unto themselves But whereas in O Brian s books the world is historical and in McCaffrey s books the world is fantastical, Novik s world is a blend of the two, exploring the what ifs of a world at war and using dragons against dragons as pawns in the grand designs of their masters.Unfortunately, the narrative across all three books suffers from a few great gaping problems Firstly, by writing in the style of a British novel, Novik made a mistake that is either very large or very small depending on how you read, but nothing in the middle Her over use of the colon and semi colon creates a visual challenge to the text, forcing even a reader who is accustomed to such punctuation to stop and re read lines over again I have not seen so many of those punctuation marks in any reading outside of instant messaging with friends who over use emoticons In both the colon and semi colon s cases, they are marks best used sparingly and with a deftness of skill that Novik simply did not wield in these books The compound sentences run on for far too long, creating a rambling sense in the narrative that, honestly, could easily have been edited so far down as to make all three books into two, or perhaps one.Here lies the second problem The details are so often told, instead of shown to the reader that the narrative takes breaks to describe events, places, or people, in ways that are distracting to the plot There are paragraphs detailing landscapes or events that were skipped over and are then summarized that collapse a time of weeks or months into a paragraph or a line break, when the entire diversion was unnecessary and could simply have been alluded to or hinted at through dialogue or action in the next scene There is one use of obscene language in Black Powder War that stands out starkly because it is the one and only time that language occurs, and it comes from a throw away character never heard or seen again in other words, it didn t need to happen at all It felt at times like this narrative was a pay by the word scenario, much like the novels it seeks to emulate I think the narrative would have been much better served if written in the lines of The French Lieutenant s Woman, which was a historical novel in a modern modality of story crafting By narrating the 19th Century plot in a 19th Century style, too many times all three novels suffered from digressions and distractions.Similarly, the characters are almost to a one archetypal The gruff captain who has a change of heart with his change in occupation, remains otherwise rather stalwart in his behavior and thinking While his knowledge base expands considerably along the three novels, experiencing dragon riding, then Africa and China, and then through the Ottoman Empire and across Europe, the overall details of his character remain unchanged I did not feel that he grew as a human being for all the learning that he did His concerns were the same, his goals were the same, his word choices were the same at the end of The Black Powder War as they were at the beginning of His Majesty s Dragon Similarly, characters who are antagonists are antagonists the whole way through, never surprising the reader with an unexpected twist beyond what is blatantly hinted at along the way Supporting characters such as the first lieutenant aboard the dragon are similarly stunted John Granby is a wonderful character until he has his change of heart in His Majesty s Dragon Once he decides that he likes Captain Laurence, all is well and stays well between them.And there is an issue of believability even beyond the whole dragon thing The protagonist is a captain aboard a very remarkable dragon, but that his exploits should take him into the company of the Emperor of China, the Ottoman Sultan, the royal family of Prussia, Napoleon himself, is simply too contrived There were too many moments in the novels where I simply wanted to say Oh, well, of course, as some improbable situation somehow arose as the only viable option This is to say that the actions were not thoroughly earned by the narrative or the characters Their exploits and adventures were not deserved, and their reactions did not warrant the responses they got in turn It was a tale of heroism, adventure, and fantasy, but the fantasy extended into the human characters believability for me far too often, and strained the limits of credulity as well as suspended disbelief.And yetand yet, I cannot help but want to know what happens next Despite the narrative being unengaging, despite the characters being flat and unbelievable, despite the prose being dense and antiquated, the world is so lush, so verdant and abundant with life and imagination, the details so perfect and encompassing, and the cliffhangers so strong and suspenseful, that I want to read the next book This is a guilty pleasure reading for me, to be sure, I will not credit it as high literature even as fantasy, but it manages to overcome a rather substantial series of hurdles and still be satisfying.

Temeraire: In the Service of the King download Temeraire: In the Service of the King, read online Temeraire: In the Service of the King, kindle ebook Temeraire: In the Service of the King, Temeraire: In the Service of the King 01621d487ece Together In One Volume, Here Are The First Three Novels In Naomi Novik S New York Times Bestselling Temeraire Series, Combining The Gripping History Of The Napoleonic Era, The Thrill Of Anne McCaffrey S Dragonriders Of Pern Books, And The Excitement Of Patrick O Brian S Seafaring Adventures In His Majesty S Service Also Includes An Exclusive Original Temeraire Short Story Capt Will Laurence Is Serving With Honor In The British Navy When His Ship Captures A French Frigate Harboring Most A Unusual Cargo An Incalculably Valuable Dragon Egg When The Egg Hatches, Laurence Unexpectedly Becomes The Master Of The Young Dragon Temeraire And Finds Himself On An Extraordinary Journey That Will Shatter His Orderly, Respectable Life And Alter The Course Of His Nation S History Thrust Into England S Aerial Corps, Laurence And Temeraire Undergo Rigorous Training While Staving Off French Forces Intent On Breaching British Soil But The Pair Has Than France To Contend With When China Learns That An Imperial Dragon Intended For Napoleon Temeraire Himself Has Fallen Into British Hands The Emperor Summons The New Pilot And His Dragon To The Far East, A Long Voyage Fraught With Peril And Intrigue From England S Shores To China S Palaces, From The Silk Road S Outer Limits To The Embattled Borders Of Prussia And Poland, Laurence And Temeraire Must Defend Their Partnership And Their Country From Powerful Adversaries Around The Globe But Can They Succeed Against The Massed Forces Of Bonaparte S Implacable Army