❴PDF / Epub❵ ★ Bobcat Author Rebecca Lee – Dailytradenews.co.uk

Bobcat pdf Bobcat, ebook Bobcat, epub Bobcat, doc Bobcat, e-pub Bobcat, Bobcat 19441b10285 Rebecca Lee, One Of Our Most Gifted And Original Short Story Writers, Guides Readers Into A Range Of Landscapes, Both Foreign And Domestic, Crafting Stories As Rich As Novels A Student Plagiarizes A Paper And Holds Fast To Her Alibi Until She Finds Herself Complicit In The Resurrection Of One Professor S Shadowy Past A Dinner Party Becomes The Occasion For The Dissolution Of Than One Marriage A Woman Is Hired To Find A Wife For The One True Soulmate She S Ever Found In All, Rebecca Lee Traverses The Terrain Of Infidelity, Obligation, Sacrifice, Jealousy, And Yet Finally, Optimism Showing People At Their Most Vulnerable, Lee Creates Characters So Wonderfully Flawed, So Driven By Their Desire, So Compelled To Make Sense Of Their Human Condition, That It S Impossible Not To Feel For Them When Their Fragile Belief In Romantic Love, Domestic Bliss, Or Academic Seclusion Fails To Provide Them With The Sort Of Force Field They D Expected

10 thoughts on “Bobcat

oh, canada you have created another great author in your great author factory i loved this collection so much, i read it twice actually, i had to read it twice because the netgalley nook version was full of flaws, so i felt i had to read it on the computer to make sure i hadn t missed anything, and i hate reading on the computer, so that alone should give you a sense of my affection for this.there are only seven stories, so they are kind of on the long side, but that works out well here, as she is given the space to really develop her ideas and characters there is something classic feeling to this collection she isn t one of those whizz bang authors who relies on stylistic flourishes to get the reader s attention she is like a rainbow, just hanging out in the corner of the sky what, who, me yeah, i know i am lovely, whatever there is one writerly tic that she has, and i am using that word without any of its negative connotations, but in a couple of stories she will just quietly run ahead of the words on the page and give a little preview of what is to come for the characters but quietly, usually in a sentence or two, buried in a paragraph of present tense and it is simple and subtle and very nicely done.there isn t a theme to this collection, although many stories involve dinner parties, infidelity, cultural clashes, academia, impossible relationships, language and the secrets it can hide the stories complement each other, without feeling redundant it is difficult to play favorites, but i think i like the first and the last story the best the first story just because it has so many killer lines in it People were soon going to be out in the streets and on the subway, making their way to our apartment They wouldn t want to picture their hostess like this emotional, insecure, lashing out at her husband You want the hostess to be serene, the apartment a set of glowing rooms awaiting you, quiet music pouring out of its walls, the food making its way through various complex stages in the kitchen the slow broiling fig sauce, the buns in the warming oven, the pudding forming its subtle skin in the chill of the refrigerator.and later Every dinner party by the end is a bit of a defeat After the halfway mark, when everybody is still in high spirits, some even intoxicated, and the dessert still hasn t arrived, there is a moment when it seems like we are the most interesting dinner party in Manhattan tonight, we love each other, and we should do this all the time, why don t we do this all the time Everybody is calculating when they can invite everybody to their house for the next dinner party But then there is the subtle shift downward Somebody is a little too drunk The bird, which was a bronze talismanic centerpiece, golden and thriving, is revealed as a collection of crazy bones A single line from the archeologist Ernest Becker often tore through my mind at the end of long meals, that every man stands over a pile of mangled bones and declares life good.but the story itself is fantastic as it tiptoes through the landmines of marriage and relationships and great unsaid truths, while side telling stories about what the human body and spirit can endure and whether it is better to respect traditions or to evolve with the rest of the world, and all of these pieces somehow come together in a final and quietly devastating conclusion greg will not like that a character mentions having been served fox meat at a dinner party, and dana will flinch at the amputee , but the rest of you should be okay with it.the last story is also spectacular, and involves a series of dinner parties that align with larger world events of recent years such as the starr report and hurricane katrina and bounces the characters forward in time to show the progression of several different types of relationships again, very quiet, very sparkling, and very very enjoyable i know i singled those two stories out as favorites but i think that was just because it is tidy to first and last it, and my brain thought it was true but then i remember slatland with its wonderful willful blindness and passive suspicion and the banks of the vistula with its well, that one is too complicated to get into in only a couple of sentences, and it s something that needs to be read for oneself, and DO YOU NOT SEE HOW EXCELLENT THAT COVER IS so go read it get outta here she will also not like the second story sorry, dana, this one isn t for you but you don t like short stories anyway, so it matters not one bit.come to my blog

I liked this book so much it pissed me off Rebecca Lee is a fantastic writer, her talent seeping through these pages like grease through a bag of Chinese takeout Her stories are perfectly paced, perfectly structured Every story pulls you into it quickly, effortlessly, strongly Descriptors are succinct yet commanding, characters pop with dimension, internal dialogue is authentically human she nails it all Long story short, this book is a grand slam.Except it still pissed me off This is the thing about short stories, especially ones as well written as this You get to the end and you re all, Fuck NO I can t believe it ends here Grossly unsatisfying You want , you need There s so much potential in these stories, in these characters, and all you get are teases perfectly constructed teases, but still teases nonetheless.Rebecca Lee why you gotta be such a tease

4 and 1 2 starsThese are beautifully written stories with striking metaphors and lovely epiphanies that caused me to page back and reread passages The elegance of the writing brought to mind Silk by Grace Dane Mazur Lee s narrators look out windows to see beyond what is being framed, and that is what the author does for the reader In the final story, Settlers, with the first mention of Hurricane Katrina, I as a New Orleanian felt wary, but my trepidation was calmed by the ending, which reflects back emotionally to the beginning of the story and also to the first story, Bobcat Repetitions occur across a couple of stories characters with facial tics and narrators who dream a whole relationship with the person they are looking at in a matter of seconds but to be completely fair, each repetition is somewhat different from the other and all are wonderfully done Every story is from a first person POV, and only one narrator is male I couldn t help wondering what Lee, as good as a writer as she is, might do with third person as well There are some typos for example, stream when what is meant is steam that I hope the press will correct for any future editions.

Excellent collection of short stories told from the first person point of view, many taking place on mid west college campuses Relationships are key My person favorites are the title story and the final, Settlers , both of which are somewhat domestic but by no means ordinary, Lee has a way with language.A couple of the stories, while clever and interesting, also bothered me on some level I find difficult to define These were Slatland and Fialta The word which continues to run through my mind is brittle is that my reaction to the style, the characters or both I m not sure and I can t define it than that right now Perhaps at some point I ll give this another reading to check my reaction again.3.5 to 4

This collection was a stunning discovery included in a recent Powell s Indiespensable installment and I am so happy I decided to give it a try, not being particularly attracted to this genre I read most of these incredibly elegant and heartbreaking short stories on a plane and only looked outside my window once to take a picture of the most extraordinary cloud formations I had ever seen from the air.When reading George Saunders Tenth of December , I have to admit that I often felt as if I was flying high above the stories, watching them from above, slightly removed from their world I read from a distance.With Rebecca Lee, every single story pulled me in from the first lines like the best novels do and I inhabited their world fully, completely engrossed in the characters and the situations Her intelligence is sizzling and her powers of observation endless.I absolutely loved this book.

The six stories in Bobcat are well written with careful, elegant prose that was, at times, so perfect it surprised me The dialogue is snappy, authentic, and witty, and the story lines and structure are complex enough to be interesting on a distant, intellectual level I read a few of these twice, and though I never felt an immediate emotional response or a lingering sense of poignancy, I did very much admire the author s attention to detail You can tell a lot of work went into crafting these stories.I wish, however, that she had varied her narrative style and tone from story to story Five of the six stories in Bobcat are told in the first person POV by female narrators, and the sixth story, and incidentally, the last one is told in the first person POV by a male narrator The voice is so similar from story to story, it read like the same character, which I interpreted probably incorrectly as a character version of the author I ve read other story collections told largely in the first person, and I ve had the same complaint, so maybe it s a matter of personal preference I think it wouldn t be an issue if these were read as they re meant to be read singularly with time for reflection rather than back to back as I seem to do.

despite this sort of thing not really being my bag, i was encouraged after a few stellar recommendations from friends generally, i have a strong distaste for such fiction and was reluctant to even give it a go thus my criticisms spring mostly from a place of both anticipated and reconfirmed aversion.nary a single one of the seven stories in this collection moved me in the slightest i was, on occasion, impressed with some of rebecca lee s prose, as well as by a few of her sentiments, but overall was left underwhelmed and frustrated tales of academia, marriage, and infidelity interest me little, tedious and banal as they often are these stories seem too constrained, as if any unmitigated emotion or flourish had long been burnished away by one workshop too many you can feel it as you sketch plans, the drag in the hand, the worry, the tower of babel anxiety as the building grows too high there ought not to be too much hubris in a plan but this is not a simple directive either, since a plan also needs to be soaring and eccentric and confident but still humble a perfect architect might be like a perfect person, the soul so correctly aligned that it can ascend with humility humble and dashing, those two things, always and forever.

I desperately wanted to like this book, but felt bogged down the further I went with the unevenness and the flimsiness of the stories The characters were never compelling indeed, less than an hour after finishing the book I d have difficulty in differentiating the characters from each other The first story, Bobcat, was probably the strongest although the unexpected conclusion really wasn t that unexpected Johanna Skibsrud, the Giller winning author, gave the book this cover copy Alternately poignant, searingly intelligent and laugh out loud funny and I left wondering if we read the same book Rarely did I care much as to the outcome of the characters, heart strings were not pulled and at no point was there anything approaching humor It is perhaps the most misleading cover quote I ve seen lately.

There are books that we read and, while we are reading them, we catch ourselves wondering if it is worth continuing, but we push on through because we occasionally catch a glimpse of something that pulls you along and teases you with a bit of hope That was my experience with Bobcat and Other Stories, a short collection of short stories by Rebecca Lee Years ago, when it was released, it was hailed by many as a bright and shining example of the talent Canada produces It has largely been set aside since then, though it would be extreme to say it has been forgotten every now and then you see the collection pop up in a new edition or on some list of the best short story collections of the past decade, or something of that sort What caught me was the comparison it received, from at least one reviewer, to the works of Munro one of my favourite living writers and Chekhov one of my favourite dead writers.So I picked it up the other day and started reading the first story, Bobcat And I read through it quite quickly Surprisingly quickly It was decent enough Nothing particularly brave, but it had a few screws that turned in a nice direction, even if they didn t end up getting deep enough into the wood to actually construct a story So I leapt into the next story I found myself with a similar feeling And then the next And then the next I should have been suspect when, in one day, I read through five of the collection s six stories, than 160 pages, and put the book down to go to sleep with desire to finish the book than to really examine whether or not the stories were any good And maybe two of them were good, the first and the last, with the 4 in between being slightly worse, but not in and of themselves bad In each story, told from a first person perspective in a voice that sounded similar, with other characters that felt similar, with scenarios that felt a bit too similar, with a few metaphors or were they symbols that were repeated a few times, in each story there was a promise of something that could have been good or maybe even very good, and then, in each story, before the ending arrived, and just as the ending was arriving, everything seemed to fizzle out No great insight or importance was shared Nothing was really acquired I didn t learn much, and nothing felt revelatory which is to say that nothing was necessary Why did I read this After finishing the fifth story the other night and before picking up and finishing the sixth story today I read through the short biographical blurb about Rebecca Lee at the back and discovered that she is a graduate of the Iowa Writers Workshop I don t know if that is a good thing or a bad thing, but for some reason I think it is a thing that shouldn t necessarily be included in your writing bio I also think that it is a fact of her life that is obvious in her writing writing that, at times, gets to be too damned writerly about small details that one suspects only writers who spend their days composing sentences in their mind while walking the dog notice, all the while trying to come up with the most original way to describe something that is almost entirely ordinary And I would say that a surprising amount of space, a lot of words, are devoted to those ordinary things that she wants use to believe are filled with importance Maybe they are Sometimes in the hands of an exceptional writer they are Here I wasn t convinced And, going back to the Iowa Writers Workshop which has a particular history of teaching mediocre writers good writing tips which they don t then turn into good writing most of the time the stories felt like assignments, something that filled a particular goal for a particular teacher and which didn t in fact enhance art.That isn t to say that the writing here is a complete failure There are sentences and descriptions of ordinary things that are quite lovely, that are quite impressive, special, and in the struggle of making true art, of becoming a writer whose descriptions, like those of Steinbeck or Golding or Lessing or Achebe or Woolf, are truly revelatory, you need to write a lot of bad ones You need to find your groove, as it were Hell, I m trying to find my groove, as it were But here, all too often the descriptions are just a fancy effort to sound like a good writer rather than actually be a good writer Does that make sense Do you understand what I m saying I don t know, if I were Rebecca Lee, or if I were her editor, I would have called upon these six stories as her first ones to publish in a collection.The problem, of course, is because of Munro, that great matriarch of Canadian literature, the one that lords over our landscape I hold all short stories up to her standard, which isn t ultimately fair, but is the only standard the literature should be held up to that of pure, clean, wonderful excellence If I hadn t taken the time, while cycling home from the cafe where I finished the collection this afternoon, to unload it from my backpack and load it into one of the free front yard libraries that dot my neighbourhood, it would be interesting to sit back with the best of these perhaps Bobcat, perhaps Fialta and with the best of Munro damned near anything from any of her collections, but for a fair comparison let s choose Walker Brothers Cowboy or The Office or Boys and Girls from Dance of the Happy Shades, her first story collection and write a nice essay about what makes Munro so good and Lee so, seemingly, mediocre.But mediocre is a mean word And neither is it the most honest one Because Rebecca Lee very well could write something lovely you can see it in her that she has it but she has to get out of her way for it to come out.

Seven stories of desire versus contentment and the things that keep people together or drive them apart The title story is a knockout this one alone is worth the price of admission However, the last story echoes the first, and the five tales in between are strangely repetitive, most with Midwestern North American narrators and 1980s university settings Moreover, all seven are in the first person I would have appreciated variety of perspective.First things first, though the excellent Bobcat The narrator is a pregnant city lawyer preparing for a dinner party She and her husband are serving the sort of dishes you might find in a 1970s cookbook terrine, roast and trifle The old fashioned fare contrasts perfectly with the unorthodox relationships around the table two of the women are about to lose their husbands to mistresses The story gets its title from another party guest who was mauled by a bobcat on a mountain pass in Nepal The bobcat is a symbol of everything lying in wait for us some of these shocks may be blessings in disguise, but to start with they will be painful.See my full review at The Bookbag.