[Reading] ➶ River God Author Wilbur Smith – Dailytradenews.co.uk

River God summary River God, series River God, book River God, pdf River God, River God 1da1c33469 For Tanus, The Fair Haired Young Lion Of A Warrior, The Gods Have Decreed That He Will Lead Egypt S Army In A Bold Attempt To Reunite The Kingdom S Shared Halves But Tanus Will Have To Defy The Same Gods To Attain The Reward They Have Forbidden Him, An Object Prized Than Battle S Glory Possession Of The Lady Lostris, A Rare Beauty With Skin The Color Of Oiled Ceder Destined For The Adoration Of A Nation, And The Love Of One Extraordinary ManInternational Bestselling Author Wilbur Smith, Creator Of Dozens Of Highly Acclaimed Novels, Draws Readers Into A Magnificent, Richly Imagined Saga Exploding With All The Drama, Mystery And Rage Of An Ancient And Bygone Time, River God Is A Masterpiece From A Storyteller At The Height Of His Powers

10 thoughts on “River God

The mist clears, the clouds roll out and the fog lifts, looking down, the Nile appears Its blue waters, dominate the desert land, like a Lion, over a savanna And the hot sun, is always shining, bringing excruciating heat, which not even the Egyptians can tolerate too long The scene, ancient Egypt, the life giving river flows leisurely by, going north But no human knows where it begins, in the south, if it does have an end there The eunuch slave, Taita, loves Lostris, daughter of the evil Grand Vizier, Intef, of the kingdom of Upper Egypt and owner of gentle Taita Lord Intef, has his chief guard Rasfer, beat his slave brutally, for minor infractions, and Rasfer loves his workThe weak, tired Pharaoh, has let Lower Egypt, the delta kingdom, slip away , and now there are two Egyptian nations, in the 18th century B.C But Taita has a viable rival, the imposing warrior, Tanus, rising star of the army, and he has noble blood, in his veins The handsome eunuch is a genius, seemingly able to invent anything, he set his mind to except one The intelligent man, has such an overpowering love, for the lovely Lostris, she adores him too Hapi , the River God, is her patron He is happy, being a lowly slave, as long as he sees her every day Naturally Lostris, loves Tanus, and he, reciprocates The slave s best friend is, yes, that same man, this strange triangle will last, all their lifetimes But during the feast of the great God, Osiris, in the exotic city of Thebes, with 250,000 souls , the largest on the face of the Earth The king sees the daughter of the Vizier, in a play, written by Taita, inside the sacred temple The teenage beauty, enchants him, the old Pharaoh Mamose, the VIII, marries her She the heartbroken girl, becomes one of his 200 wives, he has no sons but many daughters, the dynasty must continue Tanus, is devastate, along with her comes Taita, and becomes very useful to the Pharaoh, in his Nile River palace, on an island, many miles from Thebes The talented slave, even begins to like the pleasant monarch, physician to the mighty king, architect to the building of his tomb Which almost bankrupts the wealthy , desert kingdom, scribe, inventor, and fortune teller, he can do anything He wished, it was true Ruthless invaders from the east, the Hyksos, barbarians, invincible, with never seen animals horses , pulling countless, strange vehicles chariots Having destroyed the red kingdom of the north, sacking its capital, Memphis, killing the usurper king, and now are coming up stream , in war galleys With thousands of troops, by land , too, the white kingdom of the south, is doomed After a bloody, battle defeat, the southerners must flee up the river In their own boats, the fleet slowly turns away, heading southerly, from their island headquarters, a paradise in a turbulent world, green, with trees, in Egypt The palaces are abandoned, Taita, Lostris, Tanus, the Pharaoh s son, and many thousands of others, are on board As the Hyksos, pursue them, never stopping , the chase, and still a vague plan, to return someday Floating, forever floating , the royal galleys, go up the endless river

How can you possibly resist a book about ancient Egyptians River God was a pleasure to read At over 600 pages it still managed to keep the action flowing right until the end and it doesn t hurt that Taita is one of the sweetest and most likable characters I ve come to know in a long time.At first I wasn t too sure about this book I bought it on a spur of the moment and didn t know what to expect from it Taita comes across as a priss to begin with, and there is that question of how Egyptian society flourished for thousands of years without him, considering the fact that he invents just about everything But the fact that he s a slave, and a eunuch, set him apart from the prototypical hero He s not exactly what you d expect from a slave, however, as he s well loved and respected and wields a good deal of power and influence And his his being a eunuch means the book isn t filled with the gratuitous sex scenes which plague so many others of its ilk He was lovely Smart, resourceful, gutsy and loyal, and definitely not suffering from that irksome macho man syndrome He might be a bit vain, but we get to see his flaws too And he s pretty Don t give up if the first few pages don t grab you immediately It should grow on you.The action just kept coming, and it s been a while since I was so hooked on a book, constantly wanting to know what happens next It was an epic Seriously I loved it Though the writing was a little cheesy at times, but it was still readable so that s a very minor quibble There s something for everyone in this book There were battles, wars, murders, marriages, medical emergencies, animals, gods, births, deaths, journeys, friendships, enemies You won t have time to get bored.I can t vouch for the book s historical accuracy, although obviously I would expect Taita s story to be completely fabricated, but it didn t seem too far off the mark in general aspects of Egyptian life Besides, authors are allowed to take liberties in historical fiction.I m not sure how quickly I ll rush on to the next books in this series, if only because I want to preserve the memory of Taita as he is in River God But this will certainly be a re read somewhere down the line.

This was so good, I stopped reading a Malazan book to focus on itHigher praise was never given.

I don t usually advocate the burning of books, but in this guy s case I ll make an exception He has some of the worst, turgid, clich ridden prose in the English language This guy must have a clich macro programmed into his computer Oooh I need a clich What one shall I use I think I ll use F7 I do not know how this guy got published, not even once but multiple times If you come across a book written by this guy take it to a safe place douse it in gasoline and set fire to it You will be doing a small part in making the world a better place.

This book as written by Cecil B DeMille.Enter TAITA, dark haired, gorgeous, excellent physique, good at everything TAITA I am a eunuch but you can t tell, because i do weight lifting every day.TAITA postures significantly His expression is sombre, profound, behind his back the nile flows, a crocodile ambles out of the bushes.Enter LOSTRIS, nubile and gorgeous, dressed in saffron director s note for God s sake, increase her age to 18, not even Game of Thrones got away with sexually portraying a 14 year old girl LOSTRIS I am Lady Lostris, daughter of the Evil grand Vizier I curse my luck for having been born so beautiful, so accomplished, and so utterly implausible,the daughter of a stereotypic villain but I rely wholly on my friend and teacher Taita, who cannot be accused of pedophilia, having been incapacitated in adolescence.Suddenly enter TANUS, big and blond, holds out his arms to LOSTRIS, his arms full of longing.LOSTRIS Oh, Tanus TANUS Oh, Lostris The two clutch each other in their arms.TANUS I love you, Lostris LOSTRIS I Love you, Tanus, but we cannot marry, because my stereotypical evil vizier father hates you, and will kill you But it will be all right, because TAITA will fix it with his many awesome skills and magical clairvoyance.Enter INTEF and PHARAOH, concealing themselves in the corner, their faces in shadow, connive.INTEF Oh, Pharaoh, in among all my other villainous schemes, I have found the time to propose that you marry my beautiful nubile daughter Oh, by the way, if you could kill off Tanus for me That d be great, thanks Ominous music sounds as the wedding scene unfolds with at least three thousand extras, we can reuse the set of Cleopatra for that, or something LOSTRIS I want to die LOSTRIS clutches a dagger in her shapely white hands, poising it dramatically over her throat this is not in the book, but it makes good cinema TAITA My Lady I can predict the future I predict immense grossing at the film release Please do not die Also, I predict thatin five years you will be a convenient widow LOSTRIS Okay TANUS and TAITA ride through a wind swept desert, in the background, military march sounds Enter a squad of ROBBERS, and a fight scene ensues TANUS in close shot, with his face set in determination, sword stabbing into an adversary, TAITA, in close shot, his face sombre The ROBBERS are defeated.TANUS Lord Pharaoh, we found the head of the bandits PHARAOH You did Crap I wanted you to die Well, okay, who is it TANUS points a ponderous finger at INTEF while drumrolls beat in the background INTEF is dragged off and executed plan for an additional three thousand extras here.LOSTRIS Tanus.TANUS Lostris.Fade to black.PHARAOH I have a son dies For the next twenty years things develop exactly as you would expect them to.TANUS Luke, I am your father The End.Reviewer s Note The book would not take much adjustment in order to make such a film In fact, the writing is evocative of ponderous Hollywood close up shots, emotional drama with all the most cliched loves, temperaments, betrayals and twists who didn t see the issue of Lord Intef vis a vis the robbers coming and characters that are FABULOUS, with all caps.I struggled through it, I am still not sure how.

Ancient Egypt mesmerizes me and I loved Wilbur Smith s River God Taita is a very likable character and narrates the story Not an everyday model hero for sure as a slave and a eunuch But he s brilliant, spirited and above all loyal, even if a little vain and I specifically like flawed heroes I can t judge it s historical accuracy and I read it as a work of fiction I m not knowledgeable about Ancient Egypt, but I don t think it matters here It was a great adventure to read the Egyptian Court decamps up the River Nile in their boats after the ruthless invasion by the barbarians Hyksos Many years go by, and the Egyptians build a life in exile until they can finally return and reclaim their home There are bloody battles, impossible love fulfilled and the coming of age of a new generation And as we follow the river with Wilbur Smith s master writing, 600 page turner, we follow along an incredibly enjoyable road trip story Recommended

River God is one of those historical novels that broke open a whole new world to me I have been to Ancient Egypt, lived, lost and triumphed there, and then resurfaced in my own time as if coming out of a vivid dream The images are still with me, but what makes it truly wonderful is the main character, Taita He is the star of this book, not the two star crossed lovers who dominate the book description Taita is a slave, a eunuch, but a highly educated and privileged one He s an artist, an inventor, a scholar, a physician, a strategist, and He s a genius at the middle of everything important, driving it all from the humble position of a trusted, good natured slave Taita can do almost anything, think a way out of most situations and turn them somehow to advantage But there s a sense of tongue in cheek to his abilities at times that makes me think he s laughing at himself just a little even though his attitude is one of natural superiority He thinks the world of himself, but is also compassionate and selfless What a great character I loved seeing events through his eyes, seeing his curiosity and his innovations and ideas, and what fruit they bore I loved the steadfastness and depth of emotion that he felt for those he loved, and those relationships made the history much poignant in the end.Yes, Taita s pretty much perfect, and Tanus and Lostra are also beautiful, godlike, and amazingly talented and well loved Readers who prefer their characters to have many shades of gray might have some qualms This is not full of gritty realism, but is akin to a heroic epic with characters that are larger than life In a time when heroes could be elevated to god status in the eyes of the people, I didn t find this to be out of place.I almost forgot to mention the adventure, the machinations, the betrayals, the hunts and the battles Life on the Nile is wrapped all around it, teeming with life yet unmarred by humans There are many opportunities for barbarism and civilization to clash and mingle There are gruesome deaths aplenty that don t allow you to forget the savageness of the times including many animals Just in case you think it might be boring following the life of a noble slave genius I was mesmerized.

ONE OF THE BEST ADVENTURE NOVELS OF MODERN TIMESOnly drawback it s long, too long, but for sheer imaginative scope, Wilbur Smith s River God tops everything I ve ever read The story is narrated by the charming eunuch slave Taita, whose secret passion for queen Lostris surprises until we learn Taita reached manhood before being castrated in order to render him safe for service in the harem He retains his passion, artistic drives and incredible ego, and the exercise of these alone are entertainment of the highest order After his responsibility to the queen, Taita s primary task in life is to oversee the creation of the treasures the pharaoh will carry to the next life Along the way if you believe Taita s egotistical and often condescending reports and I loved believing he engineers the cutting of stones for the pyramid, personally carves the most exquisite of the golden treasures to be entombed with the ruler, influences most of Pharoah s decisions, protects his friends and destroys his enemies and oh yes, devises equipment and tactics which make the army invincible Ultimately, however, the Hyksos arrive, an enemy whose primary weapon the horse is unknown The hoard drives toward the capital city, defeating the Pharoah s forces wherever they are met and finally it is necessary for Taita to oversee putting everything of value aboard barges and direct the flight to the south In the high place where the Nile valley ends and the vast plain of Africa begins, Taita and the remnants of the royal family go into hiding while Taita, deprived of his pyramid, struggles to conceive a way to create a safe tomb Here, unfortunately, Smith has essentially exhausted his story material The lengthy narrative covers decades, and becomes a relatively colorless telling of events and as the end sections set up the precedents for The Seventh Scroll, second novel in the sequence , of unfortunate necessity everything must be kept suitably vague We never learn where the pharaoh is finally buried, and the whole story kind of subsides rather than coming to a rousing end It doesn t matter What has already gone has left the imagination reeling and sated There s also the story that awaits in The Seventh Scroll I had no idea what it would be, but let me tell you, it knocked my socks off If you are tired of the same old same old, I suggest you buy River God and treat yourself to a read that will stir your imagination like no other If Wilbur Smith lived on Lake Ontario, he d have written The Secret Ever Keeps He lives in Africa, so I had to do it for him If you love Smith, you ll love The Secret Ever Keeps.

A decent story about life in egypt around 2000BC is marred by hamfisted writing I didn t hate the book, but i sure hated parts of it In general the story isn t bad, but the writing made me cringe at best, and annoyed or angry at worst It is full of 2 dimensional characters who never change or change from one flat personality to another , constant deus ex machina in the form of actual egyptian gods and somewhat creepily sexual writing that is out of place and excessive.River God is narrated by a slave Taita, who, the way the book tells it, is the pinnacle of human life He is amazing at everything he does and touches writing, invention, music, invention, military strategy, architecture, sculpture, invention, painting, invention, science, weather prediction, cartography, astrology, fortune telling, invention, etc etc etc etc etc He is annoying in that he s in no way modest since he s narrating, he constantly tells you how good he is at everything, not that he s trying to brag And i shouldn t forget to mention how amazingly beautiful he is, irresistible to men and women Basically if Taita had not existed, Egypt would have collapsed 4000 years ago.The writing is better than the DaVinci Code, but not by much.

Ho riletto questo bellissimo romanzo dopo oltre vent anni dalla sua uscita era il 1993 e io comprai la prima edizione Primo capitolo di un avvincente serie di cinque romanzi incentrati sulla figura di Taita, uno schiavo eunuco che grazie alle sue abilit in fatto di medicina, pittura, ingegneria, tattica militare e tante altre arti, riesce ad emanciparsi e ad ottenere la libert per mano della sua stessa adorata padrona, nel frattempo diventata moglie a malincuore del Faraone Mamose, ma da sempre innamorata di Tanus, il pi forte guerriero d Egitto Tutta la storia raccontata dal punto di vista di Taita, un po come se il libro stesso fosse una sorta di diario personale in cui come in quasi tutti i libri di Wilbur Smith troviamo inganni, guerre e tradimenti ma anche, e soprattutto, A con la A maiuscola quello bellissimo ma struggente non ci sar il lieto fine tra la regina Lostris ed il suo amato Tanus Infine, c da apprezzare l ottima descrizione dei luoghi, delle situazioni spettacolare la narrazione in presa diretta della guerra contro gli Hyksos e dei personaggi ma, allo stesso tempo, come non criticare ed l unico elemento negativo di tutto il volume la troppa dovizia di particolari nelle scene di sesso o violenza