➯ Hacking: The Art of Exploitation Read ➸ Author Jon Erickson – Dailytradenews.co.uk

Hacking: The Art of Exploitation chapter 1 Hacking: The Art of Exploitation, meaning Hacking: The Art of Exploitation, genre Hacking: The Art of Exploitation, book cover Hacking: The Art of Exploitation, flies Hacking: The Art of Exploitation, Hacking: The Art of Exploitation 0f31a97c23119 Hacking Is The Art Of Creative Problem Solving, Whether That Means Finding An Unconventional Solution To A Difficult Problem Or Exploiting Holes In Sloppy Programming Many People Call Themselves Hackers, But Few Have The Strong Technical Foundation Needed To Really Push The EnvelopeRather Than Merely Showing How To Run Existing Exploits, Author Jon Erickson Explains How Arcane Hacking Techniques Actually Work To Share The Art And Science Of Hacking In A Way That Is Accessible To Everyone, Hacking The Art Of Exploitation, Nd Edition Introduces The Fundamentals Of C Programming From A Hacker S PerspectiveThe Included LiveCD Provides A Complete Linux Programming And Debugging Environment All Without Modifying Your Current Operating System Use It To Follow Along With The Book S Examples As You Fill Gaps In Your Knowledge And Explore Hacking Techniques On Your Own Get Your Hands Dirty Debugging Code, Overflowing Buffers, Hijacking Network Communications, Bypassing Protections, Exploiting Cryptographic Weaknesses, And Perhaps Even Inventing New Exploits This Book Will Teach You How To Program Computers Using C, Assembly Language, And Shell Scripts Corrupt System Memory To Run Arbitrary Code Using Buffer Overflows And Format Strings Inspect Processor Registers And System Memory With A Debugger To Gain A Real Understanding Of What Is Happening Outsmart Common Security Measures Like Nonexecutable Stacks And Intrusion Detection Systems Gain Access To A Remote Server Using Port Binding Or Connect Back Shellcode, And Alter A Server S Logging Behavior To Hide Your Presence Redirect Network Traffic, Conceal Open Ports, And Hijack TCP Connections Crack Encrypted Wireless Traffic Using The FMS Attack, And Speed Up Brute Force Attacks Using A Password Probability MatrixHackers Are Always Pushing The Boundaries, Investigating The Unknown, And Evolving Their Art Even If You Don T Already Know How To Program, Hacking The Art Of Exploitation, Nd Edition Will Give You A Complete Picture Of Programming, Machine Architecture, Network Communications, And Existing Hacking Techniques Combine This Knowledge With The Included Linux Environment, And All You Need Is Your Own Creativity

10 thoughts on “Hacking: The Art of Exploitation

My son swells with pride whenever I call him my little hacker His main goal is to find a way to play Minecraft or watch Minecraft videos on YouTube He has guessed the iPad and AppleTV passwords to achieve these goals Once he took my phone and texted this to my wife This is Todd What is the iPad password I was laughing too hard to scold him for that, though we did have a talk about social engineering afterwards Anyway, this book describes much sophisticated techniques starting with program exploitation techniques like stack and heap overflows and returning into system then moves on to network based techniques like port scanning, injecting code, and hijacking connections Then it covers related topics like avoiding detection, cracking passwords, and breaking into wireless networks.The networking stuff was already pretty familiar to me because I worked for a vulnerability detection company for about a year, and I ve screwed around with stuff like nmap and packet sniffing But the chapter that covers programming was very eye opening Just like I didn t feel like I understood networking until I was working with malformed packets, I don t think I really understood C until Mr Erickson walked me through the resulting machine code and how to use it to control the execution of a program That chapter alone is worth the price of the book and should be read by anyone with a passing interest in writing code.The quick walk through the math behind RSA encryption was eye opening as well, though I had to read it a few times despite the fact that it was clearly written It was interesting to get an update on password cracking, since I haven t run a password cracker since 1997, when I ran it on an etc passwd file and inadvertently discovered that one of the engineers was dating the office manager because they were using the same password.Highly recommended.By the way, if you are on a Mac then I recommend running the included CD which can easily be downloaded from torrent sites via VMware Fusion Just create a basic Linux machine or take an existing one and configure it to boot from the.iso image instead You will be able to run all of the exercises that way OS X doesn t come with objdump It has something called otool that I ve never used Plus OS X is 64 bit and it probably has modern security features, like randomizing the stack space, that will break some of the examples.

This book took me a long time to get through, longer than I care to admit, but I felt this journey paid mega dividends many times over I cannot think of a intellectually enriching book I have read in the past five or six years I read this book with the aim to learn about assembly language and broadly speaking the hardware software interface I learned than I ever cared to know about either of these things and so much It should be said, prior to purchasing this book, my experience in programming was limited to a class I took in high school and some MATLAB applications in college that is to say, I had never programmed in C, knew almost nothing about how computers actually worked, and had yet to spend a single second on Linux or the command line of any operating system.Since then I have become comfortably familiar with C, basic and nonbasic Linux commands, programming in VI, reading assembly and writing shellcode Ok, the last one is still pretty difficult I learned everything I know about file permissions, networks, memory allocation, and buffer overflows from this book These topics were explained well enough that I could probably explain the basics to just about anyone I get the feeling I have only scratched the surface of powerful tools like the GNU Compiler and Debugger and intend to learn about both in the near future.I recommend this book to everybody It will take a long time to get through and wont always be easy in fact, its almost never easy but if you learn a fraction of what I learned, you ll find this book is worth its weight in gold.

This book is a good introductory in the subject for mainly two reasons One is the fact that the book is clearly written and builds up gradually so you re not required to have too much information about the subject before starting to read Second being the Livecd you can download and which works as a testing platform when you re learning the basics of programming or studying different kinds of exploits.I enjoyed reading and practicing while reading and my only beef with this book is that in my opinion there were too many source code listings in the book Since all of the sourcecodes were in the Livecd I don t really understand why the author didn t just cut out the important parts of the sourcecodes and commented them in the book but instead pasted whole sourcecodes It s a considerably minor thing but still while progressing started to hinder the reading experience.All in all this is a very good and informative book with clear explanations and the fact that it came with a Livecd you could test and see the same results as in the book gives good hands on experience.

First of all, let me say that if you have a 64 bit computer here is what you need to know The liveCD that comes with the book ONLY works on 32 bit computers Luckily, I have a pentesting machine that I have Kali Linux running on The website for the book has all of the source code, so I just downloaded it and run in on Kali and it was perfect for me I think the only extra thing I needed to download was Perl type sudo apt get install perl without the quotes into the command line for those of you unfamiliar with linux.That being said, using linux and the programs along with the book is extremely important Without it I was completely lost, but once I starting going along my comprehension went through the roof This book is fantastic for learning how to write your own exploits, especially buffer overflows I learned so much about assembly language and how C programs actually work on the CPU level I also loved learning how to spoof packets.However, this is a downside to this book, and its that it is NOT a beginner s book There is plenty in this book that I will have to read again once I get further in my IT career I am Cisco certified, therefore the networking stuff was great for me, however Shellcode and some of the really in depth programming stuff was interesting but over my head There are sections of this book to teach you the basics, but its not enough, I see them as of refreshers for people who haven t programmed in a while like me.

Good book Mostly about C and overflow based attacks, which can be kind of confusing if you were looking for a high level book

While other books merely show how to run existing exploits, Hacking The Art of Exploitation broke ground as the first book to explain how hacking and software exploits work and how readers could develop and implement their own In the extensively updated and expanded second edition, author Jon Erickson again uses practical examples to illustrate the most common computer security issues in three related fields programming, networking and cryptography Includes a live CD, which provides a Linux programming environment and all of its benefits without the hassle of installing a new operating system.

Hacking is the art of creative problem solving, whether that means finding an unconventional solution to a difficult problem or exploiting holes in sloppy programming Many people call themselves hackers, but few have the strong technical foundation needed to really push the envelope.

Rather than merely showing how to run existing exploits, author Jon Erickson explains how arcane hacking techniques actually work To share the art and science of hacking in a way that is accessible to everyone, Hacking The Art of Exploitation, 2nd Edition introduces the fundamentals of C programming from a hacker s perspective.

Use it to follow along with the book s examples as you fill gaps in your knowledge and explore hacking techniques on your own Get your hands dirty debugging code, overflowing buffers, hijacking network communications, bypassing protections, exploiting cryptographic weaknesses, and perhaps even inventing new exploits This book will teach you how to

Program computers using C, assembly language, and shell scripts

Corrupt system memory to run arbitrary code using buffer overflows and format strings

Inspect processor registers and system memory with a debugger to gain a real understanding of what is happening

Outsmart common security measures like nonexecutable stacks and intrusion detection systems

Gain access to a remote server using port binding or connect back shellcode, and alter a server s logging behavior to hide your presence

Redirect network traffic, conceal open ports, and hijack TCP connections

Crack encrypted wireless traffic using the FMS attack, and speed up brute force attacks using a password probability matrix

Hackers are always pushing the boundaries, investigating the unknown, and evolving their art Even if you don t already know how to program, Hacking The Art of Exploitation, 2nd Edition will give you a complete picture of programming, machine architecture, network communications, and existing hacking techniques Combine this knowledge with the accompanying Linux environment, and all you need is your own creativity.

This book primarily focuses on teaching buffer overflow exploits under Linux.the techniques shown in the book will not work on most modern Linux distributions without crippling the security features that are baked into them ASLR, stack canaries, DEP, etc the book focuses on teaching you the concepts without having you worry about turning off security features on Linux While most of these techniques are outdatedThe book does not cover Windows exploitation at allafter all i enjoyed reading it and wish i had read it long time ago.

I had read part of this book at university, years ago While it is no longer up to date and maybe most of the exploits and techniques described have been patched for years, the concepts and general strategies still apply.If you re looking for a general overview of security buffer overflows, encryption, passwords, wireless networks, network enabled apps , I think this is still a great resource.

Far from comprehensive, and not a how to book for burgeoning hackers Excellent coverage of buffer overflows, including sample code in C to bring it to life Some interesting discussion of SSH man in the middle and WEP attacks The remainder of the book is standard but good coverage of programming, networking, and crypto.

this is a very good book on the subject of hacking it covers all of the fundamentals in great detail with plenty of diagrams and code examples that make the text easy to follow Topics covered include buffer overflows, writing shellcode, and even some wireless hacking.