[Reading] ➾ The Zen of Recovery ➵ Mel Ash – Dailytradenews.co.uk

The Zen of Recovery explained The Zen of Recovery, review The Zen of Recovery, trailer The Zen of Recovery, box office The Zen of Recovery, analysis The Zen of Recovery, The Zen of Recovery 4328 In This Compelling Blend Of East And West, Mel Ash Shows How Zen Mind And Practice Connect To The Heart Of Recovery Courageously Drawing From His Own Experience As An Abused Child, Alcoholic, Zen Student, And Dharma Teacher, Ash Presents A Practical Synthesis Of AA S Twelve Steps And Zen S Eightfold PathYou Don T Have To Be Buddhist To Appreciate The Healing Power Of The Zen Of Recovery The Book Makes Zen Available To All Seeking To Improve The Quality Of Their Spiritual And Everyday Life It Also Includes Practical Instructions On How To Meditate And Put This Book Into Action Its Message Will Help Readers Live Profoundly One Day At A Time

• Paperback
  • 256 pages
  • The Zen of Recovery
  • Mel Ash
  • English
  • 02 June 2019
  • 9780874777062

About the Author: Mel Ash

Is a well-known author, some of his books are a fascination for readers like in the The Zen of Recovery book, this is one of the most wanted Mel Ash author readers around the world.

10 thoughts on “The Zen of Recovery

I should probably just make this an always reading b c every so often I get all whacked out w o the external chemicals and need to remind myself that this usually an intimate relationship too is recovery, growth, change, etc Since I ve dropped all the supernatural stuff, this is about the only 12 Step related book I can read without wanting to poke my eyes out except for Living Sober Trade Edition, which is good because it s practical, not dogmatic , and even with this one I have to remind myself to read and interpret symbolically though it s not too hard to do with Buddhism.

Feeling different is one of the symptoms of your human disease Only by being one among many do we find true recovery of our human nature p.5 When asked if he was a god, Buddha replied that he was not Are you a saint, then he was asked He replied that he was not a saint either Then what are you I am awake, was his answer p.8 I simply disappeared for a second in a void of complete surrender, egolessness and nonsuffering p.25 We sleepwalk through the scripts and sets of our lives, only dimly recalling their vague outlines and meanings Always living for a better tomorrow or running from a numbing past, we inhabit this present moment like a shabby motel on the way to somewhere else p.31 An extreme virtue consists in killing one s passions A deeper virtue consists in balancing them Quoting Albert Camus, p.35 Be lamps unto yourselves Rely upon yourselves Seek salvation in the truth alone Everything is transient and passing Seek diligently your own liberation Quoting Buddha, p.41 If you decrease the population of dysfunction and pain by only one, meaning yourself, you have already made a giant step in saving the whole world p.61 First, we must admit the wrongdoing in regard to ourselves, that above all else we were the primary recipients of the worst actions of our disease and that we harmed ourselves nearly irrevocably with the denial of our true, original nature Our other actions were simply the mindless thrashings of a wounded animal, not malicious or intentional p.75 We have to empty ourselves of even our darkest secrets in order to become filled with potential Otherwise we remain tainted vessels, poisoning every new experience with our denial p.76 Zen stresses our obligation to spread the message and save all beings from suffering It is not for ourselves alone that we get better p.87 Even on our deathbeds, most of us refuse to stop our denial and wake up, still holding resentments and suffering as though they were some great treasure and our own invention and unique infliction p.88 Whenever we believe a person, place or situation to be bad or good, we are cutting ourselves off from half of true experience p.105 We follow the thoughts and opinions of this mind wherever they take us But we don t have to We can merely be aware that we re thinking in the same manner that we re breathing and let it go at that Thought comes Thought goes Just like the beat of our heart Your heart will probably let you down a lot less than your thinking You already know this to be true for yourself p.108 We lived in this dream world full of anger and resentment that the real world just didn t understand and wouldn t let our dreams come true.In our dreaming, we were beautiful, successful women or handsome, wealthy men or anything other than what we really were suffering, disease ridden people in the death grip of fatal illusions p.119 This world seems to demand conformity and normalcy of us Even our friends and teachers reinforce the idea that just being ourselves, with no apologies, is somehow dirty Forget them Cut them loose p.136 My inner being became to open and vulnerable that it was hard to tell the difference between a healing and a wound p.173 If we hold our teachers, sponsors and even counselors to some kind of spiritual yardstick, I fear we ll all fall short, students and clients included Most spiritual teachers are teachers because they ve recognized their own shortcomings and will readily admit them A true teacher will not claim to be the only store in town selling this product, or badmouth his competitors wares p.194 How can we ensure that our personal awakening and healing don t degenerate into a self absorbed, narcissistic isolation p.199 Whose recovery is this You have an obligation to share You have an obligation to get better and recover your true self and become a real human being This is your real purpose in being alive You have the obligation to extend your recovery to all beings and all things Together we get sick, both as addicts and as a species Together we can get better p.201 I don t call my Higher Power anything at all My collection of bargain basement bodhisattvas and Salvation Army saviors reminds me that if I do so, I m already dead and defined, unable to flow with the ever changing and passing world The God that can be named is not God p.215

There was some good material in the early parts of this book, those that dealt with the Steps and the author gave us his take from what would be his personal Zen Perspective The sections titled reflections and directions were a bit facile and pretentious in parts I experienced sections of the book in those parts as the author being teacher rather than relating his experience in a very personal way, at those times the material just didn t have any weight for me It s not that what was being put was false it just didn t connect with me, it seeme strained and forced in parts seeking to impress maybe me rather than Mr Ashe but it would have been a better book if he had kept it condensed around the issue of the relationships between the 12 steps and Zen and left the raves for midnight coffee crawls with the groupies.

I have had this book since about 1993 I skimmed through the author s take on the 12 steps back then, then put it on the shelf Now I am reading it, very slowly, letting it sink in About half way through I am slowly gaining some understanding of the basic ideas he is putting forth I have a hard time imagining what my life would be like if I did not attach values to everything that happens Good and bad, positive and negative are my go to judgements To detach from emotionally judging and qualifying everything seems hard to do But he keeps repeating that the way to this is to meditate and be aware So that is what I am doing.Finished it, some ideas have been permeating my daily life Lots of food for thought,

I enjoyed listening to the audiobook version of the Zen of Recovery Ash has a compelling life story and does a very good job in making important connections between the twelve steps and a non theistic approach to recovery and to Zen in general As a nice side benefit, I also really enjoyed learning some things about the Korean school of Zen.If I were to be in the position to give the author some feedback, I d probably tell him after heartily thanking him for making an important contribution to the literature of recovery that his earnest, altogether sincere but excessively exhortational prose style wore thin after a while To paraphrase the counsel of an old time Zen master, While you were busy preaching, you already received thirty blows.

I don t really agree with a lot of his views on Buddhism and on recovery, but all in all I m glad someone attempted this, and this is a hell of a lot interesting than most related books appear to be.

Some people say Bill W studied Buddhism Nah, there are universal truths common to AA Buddhism.

Just what I needed Anyone in or out of recovery could benefit from this awesome book I can t wait to read it again Awesome.

I read this book as a part of a meditation meeting.

Good stuff