❮BOOKS❯ ✴ Uproot ✪ Author Jace Clayton – Dailytradenews.co.uk

10 thoughts on “Uproot

I ve been an admirer of Jace Clayton s work since he put the first DJ rupture mix GOLD TEETH THIEF mix up for download A superior tastemaker, he s also an extremely astute observer of technology, culture and human behaviour, and all that comes out in this focused collection of essays exploring the way digital and analogue technologies interact with different strata of different cultures.He doesn t shy away from the potentially deleterious effects of technological change especially when drive by corporate interests but he presents a consistently upbeat view, especially when observing how technologies are upended and creatively misused.

A great read for every person interested in this weird thing called world music There s a lot of traveling, listening, DJing, preaching, criticizing, and commenting here And yes, a contemporary music business is extremely complicated.

Number of times this book made me cry four.I intend to re read it to capture the most wonderful quotes.

Open all borders

I read a lot of music books, but Clayton s take on the present state of music is astute and will no doubt wind its way into my teaching and scholarship I especially loved the chapters on Red Bull and Tribal.

i loved this book he writes really well and provides music from all over the world on this flat plane just as his subject, the internet, does his judgments mostly land on corporate sponsorships and record labels throughout the book i loved the chapter on world music world music 2.0 and the excerpt on omar souleyman exoticism the souleyman thing is really great because sometimes the press and branding with souleyman seems facile, the pursuit of the exotic, or that sometimes it s some sort of badge of cultural awareness, digital trophying, e colonialism, somehow helping a wartorn nation by streaming one guy from it, idk i think he s fair throughout, but some might think he s pretentious because he says there s other dabke artists who are better who deserve the attention, but it s mired in the greater point of western exoticism he has a great and thorough accompanying listening guide on his website for everything he references the autotuned north african music is cool also im gonna stop playing guitar because all my western music isnt complicated enough because it doesnt have unceasing polyphony and polyrhythm or quarter tones so, if anyone wants a piece of shit epiphone sg or some behringer pedals, they re yours actually, if anyone wants my identity, my social security number is

Full of rich vignettes examining the intersections of music, technology and culture I really liked the threading and layering of autobiography, travelogue reportage and nearly academic writing, but found that the moments of self awareness through the book were occasionally self serving The author does call out his positionality to some degree, but I would have liked him to spend time being explicitly reflective about his own case as a taste maker and cultural flaneur, now author and self positioned cultural mediator What does he make of this persona And it surely is one that s been cultivated For all it s beautiful threads I finished this book being a little unsure about where Clayton stands on this, and a number of other issues he raises through the book what does he actually think of corporate sponsorships Is M.I.A actually a sell out or just an always already opportunistic bricoleur A singular opinion on these things may be there, but I feel like he took a bet each way on most issues Given the ethos of the topic, that s probably the point The writing on the various places and societies he selects to include are where this book excels The self assuredness of the writing meant I felt like I d learned a lot from the book I have a list of bands and artists to research Still, I m not really sure what the author learned in writing it.

Long form music journalism is hard to come by these days, and full volumes of music focused nonfiction that aren t historical or biographical are nearly nonexistent I didn t expect much of Uproot, and was expecting of a discussion of Napster and Pitchfork like all the other 21st century music books I was very wrong this collection is a vibrant, energetic approach to the very concept of music, through the exploration of global dance music, electronic and otherwise I can t think of anyone who wouldn t find something to love here Open format DJ You ll love and take professional benefit Travel aficionado Clayton s tales of personal encounters in Africa, Asia, and Central America are engrossing and enlightening General music listener I honestly haven t read any writing about music that expresses such unbent glee about each detail, such enthusiasm for local and folk genres otherwise unloved in the West I was lucky, especially given the acknowledgement directed toward public libraries, to find this in my local stacks Maybe it s in yours, but if not, it s well worth the money for your own copy.

Better read with headphones on Every chapter brought with it a piece of music, old and new, which left me searching for it wherever it was available see, Spotify and YouTube, totalitarian as they might be, don t have all the answers Highly informing without sounding condescending, it breathes optimism For sure, there are rants about the way things are right now, but there s also hope, fueled by travels and enlightened by sonic visions, that things can be different Definitely a good thought in these turbulent times Also, as good books should be, it was fun Reminded me of the Mudd up days, when you had to wander around The Internet instead of heading to the same destination everyone is hanging out at.

As much as The Song Machine TSM depressed me about the state of music, Jace Clayton s Uproot restored my hope in music made and listened to for the joy of music rather than money ala TSM The intersection of music with digital production and DJing around the world is really cool, and the website that accompanies the book has an excellent listening guide that I listened through as I read the book, and was exposed to a great deal of interesting music from around the world.The early chapters are the strongest, but the whole book is excellent.

Uproot download Uproot , read online Uproot , kindle ebook Uproot , Uproot 1c550149e84f In Jace Clayton Was An Unknown DJ Who Recorded A Three Turntable, Sixty Minute Mix And Put It Online To Share With Friends Within Weeks, Gold Teeth Thief Became An International Calling Card, Whisking Clayton Away To Play A Nightclub In Zagreb, A Gallery In Osaka, A Former Brothel In Sao Paolo, And The American Museum Of Natural History Just As The Music World Made Its Fitful, Uncertain Transition From Analog To Digital, Clayton Found Himself On The Front Lines Of Creative Upheavals Of Art Production In The Twenty First Century Globalized World Uproot Is A Guided Tour Of This Newly Opened Cultural Space With Humor, Insight, And Expertise, Clayton Illuminates The Connections Between A Congolese Hotel Band And The Indie Rock Scene, Mexican Rodeo Teens And Israeli Techno, And Whitney Houston And The Robotic Voices Is Rural Moroccan Song, And Offers An Unparalleled Understanding Of Music In The Digital Age