❰Download❯ ➻ Daily Life in the Medieval Islamic World Author James E. Lindsay – Dailytradenews.co.uk

10 thoughts on “Daily Life in the Medieval Islamic World

Re read the title, because the next time you ll see anything resembling it is on page 88 Lindsay gives precious few details on actual day to day activities and he had 800 years spanning 3 continents to do it Factoids sparsed out Yemen the Arabia Felix or Happy Arabia of classical geographers was exceptional in just about everything Unlike the Bedouin who lived in tents or the residents of the oasis settlements of Hadiz Yemen built dams in the valleys in order to catch annual monsoon rains produced an agricultural bounty simply impossible elsewhere in the peninsula Paper production exploded the first paper mill in the Islamic world was established in Baghdad in 794 95 its many uses spread from Baghdad throughout the region and ultimately via Muslim Spain to Europe Medieval Islamic rulers minted three types of coins a gold coin was called a dinar, a silver coin was called a dirham and a base metal coin usually copper was generally called a fals Since at any given time one could find merchants from a host of Afro Eurasian cities in the markets of the medieval Islamic world, one of the most important men in any market was the sayrafi, usually translated as money changer Because weighing individual coins was a rather tedious and time consuming affair, it was standard practice for coins to be bought and sold in purses that were sealed by the government assaying office with the exact weight indicated on the outside Like the sayrafi, the muhtasib or market inspector was essential to the smooth functioning of markets that public morality in the very public space of the market was upheld The diet of even the lowliest peasant in the medieval Islamic world was generally varied and quite healthy, certainly far healthier than what most classes had access to in Europe In the countryside women generally ground the flour In the cities there were mills that ground flour for sale Some urban marriage contracts have survived that specify that the bride usually from a wealthy family was to be exempt from grinding flour Since only the wealthiest individuals could afford to have an oven built into their residences, foods prepared at home had to be taken to a local bake house There were shops that sold breads, pastries, and sweetmeats, as well as restaurants where one could purchase all sorts of prepared dishes Ancient Greek, Persian, and Sanskrit works on philosophy, medicine, mathematics, astronomy, geography, and other sciences were translated into Arabic between the 8th and 10th centuries The 9th century mathematician al Khwarazmi played a major role in the introduction of Hindu numerals into the Islamic world This numbering system was later adopted and modified in the west in what are now known as Arabic numerals Cheetahs were often used when hunting larger game such as gazelles, antelopes, deer, wild donkeys, and wild boar As sharia developed, the Quranic punishment of lashing was changed to death by stoning, a punishment that parallels the Biblical practice.

Daily Life is a little scholarly than I was hoping for, but that comes out sounding like a bad thing Since my ulterior motive was research for my novel, I d hoped for daily living gems that couldn t be found in other scholarly works There are a few of those in this book no tea no coffee but I think I would ve been better off reading this book earlier in my research rather than later.

This book was an interesting read but I hadn t learned much Everything written I already had some idea and I was hoping I would learn something entirely different But if you are completely ignorant of this time period and of Arab culture, I strongly recommend you read I couldn t help but notice a slightly bias tone in the author s writing, disliked that greatly but it can be easily ignored.

This book by James Lindsay effectively and informatively summarises daily life in the Medieval Islamic world He begins by first explaining key topics of the Islamic culture and religion, such as a brief overview of the prophet Mohammed, his key battles, the different branches of Islam, etc The book then moves on to specific topics, such as life in the cities, etc.The first chapter is very much an historiographical summary of Lindsay s sources It is quite detailed, so if this kind of thing isn t really for you, you may at first wonder what you have bought or whether or not the rest of the book is worth reading As soon as chapter 2 begins, the book takes on a traditional History book feel I found it a very informative book and I think it would be very useful to Islamic History Beginners wanting a brief but detailed introduction to how the ancestors of present day Muslims lived I also think it would be a good tool for revision The reason I give it 3 stars and no is because I personally found Lindsay s style very hard going The History itself is very interesting and not at all hard to take in, but for my taste, the style leaves quite a lot to be desired.

I read it critically as a Muslim myself, seeing how this Islamic period is portrayed in Western literature.The book puts forward a secular investigation on a society underpinned by a common faith This secular view will never provide the full and accurate pictureWithin this context, the author made very good observations and avoided making unsupported assumption The author also quoted translated Quranic verses where appropriate.

Denny writes a very thorough summary of Islam Although often criticized as a non Muslim writing on Islam, there can be little doubt about his comprehensive and refreshingly objective knowledge of the subject It is probably one of the best resources for reaching western academics and students whose focus is on the Middle East My only critique is the cost of the book.

I certainly had good details but I was hoping for bathing, taxes, education, etc I had found out most details through my own amateurish research.

Daily Life in the Medieval Islamic World download Daily Life in the Medieval Islamic World, read online Daily Life in the Medieval Islamic World, kindle ebook Daily Life in the Medieval Islamic World, Daily Life in the Medieval Islamic World 287864c5ec51 From The Time Of Its Birth In Mecca In The Th Century CE Islam And The Islamic World Rapidly Expanded Outward, Extending To Spain And West Africa In The West, And To Central Asia And The Indian Subcontinent In The East An Examination Of The Daily Life In These Islamic Regions Provides Insight Into A Civilized, Powerful, And Economically Stable Culture, Where Large Metropolitan Centers Such As Damascus, Baghdad, And Cairo Thrived In Many Areas, Including Intellectual And Scientific Inquiry In Contrast With Medieval Europe, There Is Little Common Knowledge In The West Of The Culture And History Of This Vibrant World, As Different From Our Own In Terms Of The Political, Religious, And Social Values It Possessed, As It Is Similar In Terms Of The Underlying Human Situation That Supports Such Values This Book Provides An Intimate Look Into The Daily Life Of The Medieval Islamic World, And Is Thus An Invaluable Resource For Students And General Readers Alike Interested In Understanding This World, So Different, And Yet So Connected, To Our OwnChapters Include Discussions Of The Major Themes Of Medieval Islamic History Arabia, The World Of Islamic Origins Warfare And Politics The Major Cities Of Damascus, Baghdad, And Cairo Religious Rituals And Worship And A Section On Curious And Entertaining Information Author James E Lindsay Further Provides A Focused Look At The Daily Lives Of Urban Muslims During This Time Period, And Of Their Interactions With Jews, Christians And Other Muslims Timelines, Tables Including A Calendar Conversion To Align The Islamic Lunar And The Christian Solar Dates, And A Dynastic Table Highlighting The Major Genealogies Of The Ancient Ruling Families , A Bibliography, And A Glossary Of Important Dates And Technical Terms Are Also Provided To Assist The Reader