[Reading] ➷ Three Plays of Euripides Author Euripides – Dailytradenews.co.uk

Three Plays of Euripides summary Three Plays of Euripides , series Three Plays of Euripides , book Three Plays of Euripides , pdf Three Plays of Euripides , Three Plays of Euripides 6ce8f8b1ac Best Ebook, Three Plays Of Euripides By Euripides This Is Very Good And Becomes The Main Topic To Read, The Readers Are Very Takjup And Always Take Inspiration From The Contents Of The Book Three Plays Of Euripides , Essay By Euripides Is Now On Our Website And You Can Download It By Register What Are You Waiting For Please Read And Make A Refission For You

10 thoughts on “Three Plays of Euripides

Besides, you are a born woman feeble when it comes to the sublime,marvelously inventive over crime.Oh Medea, you emerge as the force in this tumultuous collection and such a distinction is not lost on the gore spattered pages where it take an epic hero to return a lost love from the dead to a shitbag husband Alcestis and then later a hallucination to inspire an incestual dismemberment Bacchae My reading of Medea is anchored by her being foreign born, a stranger whose displacement is opened wide by her jackass husband and his efforts at social elevation through snagging a new bride of royal and white stock There is something to be said for the original Lady Vengeance Her vision and pluck are to be respected even if we cower and squirm before her monstrous deeds She maintains a grace evn in the darkest light.

THE BACCHAEI bought this trio of plays mainly for The Bacchae , as Donna Tartt hinted this was an influence for her book The Secret History a story of classical Greek students who attempt to recreate some ancient rites in the Vermont woods I began the story expecting scenes of wild revelry in the mountains I had assumed that Dionysus represented laid back festivity and if he had a flaw it was debauchery to excess But it turns out he also has a jealous side as vengeful as any Old Testament deity that comes out in this play view spoiler.The scene in which the Maenads decimate a man as a wild animal would, ripping him limb from limb, in a trance of Dionysian super strength was really something to read And very helpful in illuminating one crucial scene in The Secret History. hide spoiler

The BacchaeDionysus, the god of wine, prophecy, religious ecstasy, and fertility return to his birthplace in Thebes in order to clear his mother s name and to punish the insolent city state for refusing to allow people to worship him The background to his return is presented in the prologue, in which Dionysus tells the story of his mother, Semele, once a princess in the royal Theban house of Cadmus She had an affair with Zeus, the king of the gods, and became pregnant As revenge, Zeus s jealous wife Hera tricked Semele into asking Zeus to appear in his divine form Zeus, too powerful for a mortal to behold, emerged from the sky as a bolt of lightning and burnt Semele to a cinder He managed, however, to rescue his unborn son Dionysus and stitched the baby into his thigh Semele s family claimed that she had been struck by lightning for lying about Zeus and that her child, the product of an illicit human affair, had died with her, maligning her name and rejecting the young god Dionysus.

Of all the collections of Greek plays I ve read so far, this one was probably my least favorite I really liked Alcestis, Medea was alright, and I disliked The Bacchae These felt a lot darker than Sophocles or Aeschylus the vivid imagery and gore involved probably attributed to that Medea and Agave both go on something of a murderous rampage and it is just horrific I think it was difficult to be sympathetic to these characters, too, due to the emotionless way they kill of course, that changes for Agave once she comes out of her stupor and realizes what she s done I also found it interesting how Dionysus was portrayed in such an evil, merciless way For those who believed in the gods, this must have been a terrifying warning.

Alcestis 3 starsMedea 5 starsThe Bacchae 3 stars

Having read The Bacchae for a class and enjoyed it greatly, I took the time to read the other two stories and was not dissapointed in the least Euripides presents us with three very fascinating tales, all tragic in their own ways I can t help but question the theory that frames tragedy as Greeklike tragedy of necessity It is is shame it had to happen, but it in fact had to happen this way vs the Christian tragedy of opportunity It is a shame it had to happen, because it truly could have ended differently Euripides as a writer mingled very human flaws with excellent high drama such that the plays were all gripping and thought provoking As for the translation, I trust in the judgement of the Classics faculty in agreeing that this version was well executed Commentary often brings up the meter and intent of the original Greek, with notes on omissions.

A review from my old blogThis is my first time reading any of the classic Greek plays I have to say that I was not disappointed I have read the Iliad and the Odyssey before and appreciated the great writing evident within but the gore really turned me off.The plays by Euripides are free from gore but not from classical mythology and the great writing The pathos of the husband in the first play I forget the names losing his wife yet still remembering to show hospitality is such a great story Then in the end when his act of hospitality which everyone else looks down upon turns out to be the thing that brings his wife back to him from the dead I absolutely fell in love with the play Such good writing I recommend these plays to anyone interested in the classics.

Though I d read Medea and Bacchae before, this was my first leap into Euripides lesser known Alcestis Loved all three Compared to his competitors Sophocles and, to a lesser extent, the aged scratch that, DEAD Aeschuylus , Euripedes seems much casual Rather than leaning his weight on the Choruses exhaustive declamations ahem Aeschulyus or crafting interrogative stagey dialogue among his characters to share the plot, the playwright seems to enjoy the process of allowing his characters interactions to unfold Resultantly, the content however grisly is peppered with lots of humanistic dare I say, funny moments.

I read The Bacchae years ago, when I was in college I always liked Euripides progressive attitude towards women When so many contemporaries wrote disdaining things about women, he took a much equal view I enjoyed reading these.Despite many writers or translators instances on only hearing plays read out loud, the existence of subvocalisation hearing the words you read in your mind in your own voice makes that less necessary.

Only having read The Bachae, I don t know if I would read the other two Of course, Euripides is one of the wild and crazy mythological writers, but I found some of the reading to be of a chore than an entertaining experience Perhaps it is the tragedy that I was not a fan of when the main characters wind up exiled and turned to serpents or sacrificed at the hands of their mother for a bitter god who couldn t leave any disbelievers alone even if they were his own family.