✻ [BOOKS] ✯ Love and Louis XIV: The Women in the Life of the Sun King By Antonia Fraser ❅ – Dailytradenews.co.uk

10 thoughts on “Love and Louis XIV: The Women in the Life of the Sun King

Did you know that Louis the XIV used to be given an enema on a regular basis Or that no matter one s suffering, they we re bled from their arms or their legs Now that is some horror stuff right there I can only appreciate the age I m living in, with all its advances in medicine.This book is than just a look at the women in the Sun King s life It contains references to his military expeditions and the life quality of the common folk I find Louis a very self centered man he had been raised to be as such and I like him less than before reading this book I think Antonia Fraser wanted to paint him as a not so cruel, selfish person, but that s what I understood while reading Love and Louis XIV The Women in the Life of the Sun King All he ever did, he did it for he s ego, with little thought to those who actually formed the country the everyday man or woman who found sustenance harder while his army was playing at war.I think I better understand why the people hated the nobility with each passing year and why the French revolution came to pass.

Busty young princess Marie Ad la de set tongues and codpieces wagging today as she made her first appearance in court looking dressed to kill in a daring figure hugging gown The saucy Savoyarde 34 20 34, after corset was presented to future hubby the Dauphin but onlookers said her Alpine attributes also had the King giving her the royal once over Official courtiers were unavailable for comment, but sources close to Versailles told us She may only be 11, but that s hardly likely to stop Louis Frankly, if we didn t keep a steady supply of hos round here, I honestly worry he d start humping the furniture House of Bourbon said another House of Whore bon, like This book is essentially a Louis Quatorzian tabloid.The problem I had with it was that it felt a bit too light to be valuable history, but at the same time not quite salacious enough to be enjoyed as just good gossip Antonia Fraser s approach is to tell the story of Louis XIV s reign through the women that were close to him from his mother Anne of Austria, through his wife s and mistresses, down to his beloved granddaughter in law Adelaide but although it does contain quite a few fascinating anecdotes, overall I felt I didn t finish the book much enlightened than before I started.It does drive home to you quite how much Louis, for want of a better word, slutted it up at court The very fact that there was a semi official position for his ma tresse en titre, complete with suite of royal apartments, kind of amazes me what on earth did the queen think of it One of many fundamental questions that this book doesn t really address They all lived in each other s pockets, so nothing can have been a secret, yet the fiction had to be maintained The queen on one occasion actually walked right past the room where Louise La Valli re was going into labour with Louis s love child Are you all right the queen asked, seeing this girl clearly in some pain Louise, panicking, called back, Colic, Madame, an attack of colic My favourite mistress was Fran oise Ath na s, a.k.a Madame de Montespan the only one who seems to be enjoying herself, she had a famously sparkling line in conversation and also Fraser seems weirdly shocked by this liked sex a whole lot She s described as having long blonde hair, a pouting mouth, and eyes that were huge, blue and very slightly exophthalmic , all of which makes me think casting directors should be calling up Amanda Seyfried.Ath na s happened to be married already her husband, despite being advised that if your wife s cheating on you with the king you should probably just keep quiet, kicked up a huge fuss about it and ended up getting exiled from court Back on his estate, he pulled down the gates to his ch teau, telling everyone loudly that his cuckold s horns were now too big to fit through them Classy way to handle it.Dominating the latter parts of the book is Fran oise d Aubign , Madame de Maintenon, who was older than Louis and clearly of an emotional support for him than a sexual fling Indeed she didn t really want to be a mistress, as such, preferring the role of religious advisor and loyal friend but, as Fraser puts it, she decided that a best friend s duty to Louis XIV did unfortunately include sleeping with him, in order to prevent other frivolous, less religiously focused people doing it without her own pure motives Louis probably married her in secret after his first queen died.Perhaps my favourite character at court was not a mistress at all, but Louis s sister in law a German princess known as Liselotte She was rather overweight and hated almost everyone, especially the royal bastards whom she referred to cheerfully as the mouse droppings in the pepper While all around her were consumed with etiquette and courtesy, she was scribbling happily during a particularly nasty cold that she probably looked like a shat on carrot , or enjoying impromptu farting competitions with her immediate family the winner could make a noise like a flute I shall look like a shat on carrot Occasionally I questioned Antonia Fraser s methods She has an admirable desire to make her story readable and compelling, but sometimes she takes liberties to get the job done Consider this passage Louise flung herself trembling on the ground before him Only then did his glacial reception she had defied his explicit orders to stay at Versailles convince her of her terrible mistake How much inquietude you might have spared me, had you been as tepid in the first days of our acquaintance as you have seemed for some time past You gave me evidence of a great passion I was enchanted and I abandoned myself to loving you to distraction The poignant words were those of a young woman in the celebrated best seller of the time, Letters of a Portuguese Nun They might have been spoken word for word by Louise.Wha You can t do that You can t just borrow lines from a novel and say, Wow, historical figures might well have said something a bit similar at least not without a lot of care and signposting This is not cool.If I look out of my kitchen window, I can see the building where Louis XIV was born now an overpriced hotel My daughter plays in the enormous gardens of what was once the royal ch teau of Saint Germain en Laye So this is a place and period I am particularly interested in, and this book does give you a few clues as to the interesting mixture of sexuality reined in by religious fervour that prevailed at the Sun King s court But in the final analysis, I find myself craving something a bit detailed and critical.tl dr Phwoar what a scorcher

In my post Versailles TV series hangover, I wanted to read this to get a sense of the historical reality behind the fiction sadly, though, this is not Fraser at her best The narrative feels unfocused in comparison with her Mary Queen of Scots and The Gunpowder Plot, and that seems to be because she changed the remit of the book mid way She originally planned to write about Louis mistresses, then widened it to also cover his relationships with other women his mother, Anne of Austria his daughters the wife of his grandson The result is a book which feels messy in its organisation and skimpy in its details The first two sections that take us from Louis birth to the death of his wife Marie Therese are the most pulled together the latter two sections that take in his later crisis of conscience and move away from the gallant image of the virile, playboy Sun King are less coherent Ultimately, Fraser seems to want to say something about the position of a certain class of women during Louis reign but the narrative itself is organised around his life, and the two imperatives seem to be at odds with each other.This is interesting and entertaining enough, but ends up being a somewhat mixed and chaotic enterprise.

I don t know that I am totally unbiased in my review of this book, as just from a glance it held many of my favorite things history, courtly drama, France, clever women in high places, gorgeous color photo sections, and Antonia Fraser I read her Marie Antoinette The Journey at the beginning of 2016 and was extremely impressed, and I found my reaction to be the same here I was thoroughly entertained throughout.

A detailed look at the reign of Louis XIV and the various women in his life The list begins with his mother, Anne of Austria, who acted as regent when Louis assumed the throne at age four and then ends with his last mistress, Madame de Maintenon In between we get details of his first love, a couple other maitresses en titres, his wife, daughters, and in laws My favorite of the bunch was Mary Beatrice d Este, who was the wife of the exiled King James II When the king had to leave his country, he took his wife and daughter to the French court, where they lived under Louis s protection for several years Mary Beatrice, apparently, was very intelligent in addition to being beautiful, and she and Louis were very close Fraser doesn t think they ever slept together I vote doubtful , but their relationship was still very interesting.Information about each of the women is pretty evenly distributed, but Fraser spends the most time with Maintenon makes sense, since they were together the longest Fraser thinks they actually got married in secret after Louis s wife died, but I m still not convinced Fraser s evidence is basically, they were around each other all the time so you know, why not, and also once Maintenon was painted wearing royal ermine And I have to point out this book is, all things considered, kind of dull If you re a history nerd like me this won t bother you, but still For every interesting story Fraser gives us dirty details, people That s what we want , there are pages of boring politics Yes, Louis was involved in lots of wars, but let s try and keep the book s title in mind, Fraser As Louis himself once said, Whores over wars, bro Whores over wars citation needed

Lady Antonia Fraser is an accomplished historian her Tudor books have enthralled me for years I chose her to introduce me to the French court sadly, a disappointment This book is focused on King Louis XIV and the women he loved in his life It begins well, with a focus on Louis XIV s mother and regent Anne of Austria Anne was a pious and effective ruler, and she left her son with a profound belief in the Catholic Church Partly through her influence, Louis abandoned his love affair with Marie Mancini and married the Spanish Infanta Marie Therese After a short period of romance, their marriage was stable, if loveless Louis was in love with Louise de La Valliere, a young woman as passionately in love with God as she was with Louis They had several illegitimate children together before Louis s attention passed on to the far glamorous Francoise Athenais de Rochechouart de Mortemart Athenais was dazzling in beauty and wit, and reigned Versailles for about ten years After a short affair with the beautiful but dim Angelique de Fontanges, who died bearing his child, Louis moved on to his illegitimate children s governess, Francoise de Maintenon She was three years older than he, with no connections, wealth, or reputation, and yet Louis was true to her until his death In fact, it is rud that after the death of his queen, he married her in a secret, morganatic ceremony Whatever the case, Louis s remaining years were spent in the War of the Spanish Succession wherein he tried to put his grandson on the Spanish throne and eventually Philip V did reign and marrying his grandchildren by his mistresses to his grandchildren by his wife Creeeepy.There was a real lack of quotes or letters in this book After reading the whole thing, I had as little understanding of Louis s character as at the start The women do not shine through either I was confused by the many titles and the incredibly similar names Marie Jeanne, Marie Anne, Anne Marieugh , a situation made worse when a character would be named on pg 100 and then reappear, with no explanation, on pg 300 Overall, a frustrating book about a fascinating period.

Antonia Fraser is known for her impeccable research and ability to bring history to life Love and Louis XIV is no different I thoroughly enjoyed this review of the women who influenced the Sun King and recommend it.

Love as presumed by casual browsers of the title, and Love as meant by the author may differ The book covers his friendships, flirtations, infatuations, in law relations, marriage and perhaps pseudo marriage and his views of the female obligation to sacrifice for international diplomacy By the standards of his cousin, Charles II of England, Louis XIV was the much responsible adulterer.Fraser demonstrates how Louis early bond with a loving mother an exception for a time characterized by royal nurseries was replicated in his intimate relationships with women There is an interesting symmetry that you come to understand as the story evolves.The best part is the end when Fraser gives analysis of Louis and his attitude towards women and his basic generosity.My only criticism is that the genealogical chart is difficult to read A different lay out would have helped.This book doesn t try cover the weighty historic issues which are well documented in many other sources This book brings something new to the table Like all Fraser books, it is very well researched and readably presented.

Louis XIV and the women in his life I had expected this book to be interesting and entertaining, but I found it chaotic and at times boring The subject matter is simply too broad Fraser doesn t only look at relationships between Louis and his wife and mistresses, but also his mother, daughters and in laws It would have been better to focus on only a few women and really explore those relationships thoroughly.This is the second book by Antonia Fraser that I ve read and both were rather disappointing I have no intention to read a third.

Wella few historical inaccuracies But aside from this I like the format of the novel many mentioned there was a lack of structure the further into the book which is true , but I felt this just mirrored Louis life in love and with the women at court In the beginning it was incredibly structured and as those who were mistresses and wife s fell from favour his lovers and his ways became erratic I just felt that this structure followed the pace of his life so it didn t bother me so much I love anything from this era and want to read fiction related to Louis Atenais but I cannot seem to find muchrecommendations welcome