❴PDF / Epub❵ ☂ The Red Badge of Courage Author Stephen Crane – Dailytradenews.co.uk

The Red Badge of Courage files The Red Badge of Courage, read online The Red Badge of Courage, free The Red Badge of Courage, free The Red Badge of Courage, The Red Badge of Courage 21829bf1f Henry Fleming Has Joined The Union Army Because Of His Romantic Ideas Of Military Life, But Soon Finds Himself In The Middle Of A Battle Against A Regiment Of Confederate Soldiers Terrified, Henry Deserts His Comrades Upon Returning To His Regiment, He Struggles With His Shame As He Tries To Redeem Himself And Prove His Courage The Red Badge Of Courage Is Stephen Crane S Second Book, Notable For Its Realism And The Fact That Crane Had Never Personally Experienced Battle Crane Drew Heavy Inspiration From Century Magazine, A Periodical Known For Its Articles About The American Civil War However, He Criticized The Articles For Their Lack Of Emotional Depth And Decided To Write A War Novel Of His Own The Manuscript Was First Serialized In December By The Philadelphia Press And Quickly Won Crane International Acclaim Before He Died In June At The Age Of

10 thoughts on “The Red Badge of Courage

I feel almost guilty about how much I disliked this book I know it s an important piece of literature, that it changed the way people viewed war, it s an American classic, etc etc But I could NOT stand it I thought it was boring and I didn t really care what happened to the main character I was totally distracted by how the author called him the youth instead of his name and I had to have my brother in law explain to me what the point of it was since I just couldn t tell Maybe my tastes will mature someday, but I wouldn t count on it.

The Battle of Chancellorsville in northern Virginia 1863 is one of the bloodiest 24,000 casualties of the war between the states, the focus of this novel Henry Fleming a naive restless farm boy not yet a man from New York State, goes off to fight during the American Civil War Against the tearful pleading of his widowed mother not to, Henry out of patriotism or boredom wants to join the Union Army Many months pass of training and marching before Fleming gets into action Some of his friends, boys he grew up with are in the 304th regiment with him Camp life is very harsh living mostly in dirty tents little food and nothing to do, unsanitary living conditions, the constant marching to different sites the veterans call the newcomers Fresh Fish Wondering if he ll be brave or a coward in the conflict dominates his thoughts, finally the youth sees the ugly war The charging yelling mobs of rebels from out of the woods brings fear to his very soul and Fleming caring little about glory, his friends or the regiment runs away , runs like the little boy he really is only just wants to surviveMeeting many wounded soldiers in the back of the line Some who will not live long, including his close friend who Fleming watches fall mortally down on the ground, they ask him uncomfortable questions where was he hit Leaving them as fast an unobtrusively as possible, wandering around aimlessly Henry heads for a nearby forest trying to get away from the savage war The sounds of brutal battle are muted by the trees only a short distance from the struggle, as if all the world was a peaceful quiet place, a sanctuary for him to calm his shaky nerves But Henry can t get far from reality, a Union soldier propped up against a tree stares with his dead eyes at the miserable deserter An insect crawling over his ghastly face, Henry decides to get back to his regiment yet ironically is hit in the head, with a rifle butt by a vicious man fleeing in a blue uniform, Fleming was in the way, causing blood to flow freelyHis desired Red Badge of Courage Arriving home helped by an unknown soldier nobody had noticed his cowardliness they thought he was dead, bandaged his war wound Next day another scrimmage Fleming feels different, comradeship with his fellow soldiers close as brothers now Henry never experienced such emotions before, even leads the charge has he become a man

2.5 starsIntellectual Thomas thinks this story changed people s perception of war and made them think about the individual psychological processes involved in combat He thinks that this book had a nice flow of thought that concluded with the narrator learning to be less whiny.Thomas Thomas the college student Thomas that has almost no free time to read for fun, and therefore only wants to read satisfying books feels that The Red Badge of Courage was super frustrating in that its author, Stephen Crane, clearly had never gone to war before writing this book Thus, the novel s imagery and overall characterization of the narrator came across as juvenile and simplistic Thomas Thomas regrets that he has nothing novel to contribute about The Red Badge of Courage, and he apologizes for using the third person to entertain himself enough to complete this review.

This book made my heart race and made me hear gunfire.I think Crane manages to create the perfect visceral novel Sure there is symbolism if you want it, but at its core this book is about experience.Like a delicate flower, this book is easily ruined by too much prodding attention Just read it, take it in, let yourself get dragged into the story and imagery Don t think, don t read it closely to prepare for a paper or discussion, just experience it.I would never teach this book in a class I would just mention it as one of my favorites and possibly leave a few copies around.

Most novels about war are broad, sweeping stories that try to capture the big picture of what happened But what s it like for the individual What were they thinking, feeling, and experiencing That s what Stephen Crane brings to life in this book He shows the fine line between courage and cowardice that exists in everyone An American classic that has never been out of print.Revised December 2017.

The Red Badge of Courage, Stephen CraneThe Red Badge of Courage is a war novel by American author Stephen Crane 1871 1900 Taking place during the American Civil War, the story is about a young private of the Union Army, Henry Fleming, who flees from the field of battle Overcome with shame, he longs for a wound, a red badge of courage, to counteract his cowardice When his regiment once again faces the enemy, Henry acts as standard bearer, who carries a flag 1998 1335 245 1374 157

I found it disappointing that The Red Badge of Courage, an American classic, was dull, had poor pacing, and lackluster characterization There might be historical value in this novel, written by Stephen Crane who was born nearly five years after America s civil war ended, but there is little to enjoy The novel does focus on the psyche of the protagonist so then on the war itself, but I found myself not caring I didn t care for the characters nor did I care about the battles or the war I told myself that I would give the novel a fair review only by reading it in its entirety, which led me to gloss over the last few chapters as to end the torture.I debated giving two stars as there was one scene that I noted as compelling the scene where Henry Fleming watches Jim Conklin struggle to continue marching while Jim is dying of wounds from the battle This was a moment where Henry experiences firsthand that war is hell However, one powerful scene cannot resurrect this lifeless corpse of a book I pity the High School student that is assigned this book and question the teacher that does the assigning.

When Henry Flemming set off to join the war, he perhaps did not have a clear picture of what lay before him, what his decision meant Like every other young man across the divide of time and circumstance he envisions his return as a hero an achieved man but does he pause to consider the damn hardship of the battlefield Perhaps not At some point he actually runs, but his conscience torments him A series of happenings accidental i think push him back to track, and there he tries to prove his manhood.I find that the power of this war novel is not really in the story, but in how it is rendered Crane s prose though at some point overly descriptive is to the large extend exquisite So also his portrayals of the internal conflict of this youth The Language is beautiful, and makes this, a not so simple and straightforward novel, a worthy read.Cool line He turned now with a lover s thirst to images of tranquil skies, fresh meadows, cool brooks an existence of soft and eternal peace.

Here is a recreation of my brain while reading this book Alright, it s about time I read this and so far, okay I like the prose, I like the prose, I like theumSTOP TALKING Stop talking to each other Shutup I can barely understand you UGH Thank you Nice proseniceokay, nevermind Boring Boring Boring Boring Gross I hate fight scenes Boring AND gross Gross AND boring Stop fighting Stop talking Get on with itthis is boring Overall, I d have to say that the dialogue between the characters was a little too realistic and I found it difficult to switch between Crane s lovely prose and the uneducated, written dialect of the Union soldiers or sojers, depending on who you ask The last time I remember struggling so much with written dialogue was when I read Beloved by Toni Morrison, except in the case for that book, I was utterly enchanted by the characters and this time around Not so much So in all, it became an issue of not caring enough to WANT to understand what they were saying.Also, I hate battle scenes and fight scenes I generally skim or skip fight scenes in almost all the books I ve ever read the one exception probably being Gabaldon s description of Culloden in Dragonfly in Amber because I don t LIKE to picture gore I m not comfortable with violence, real or imagined because it gives me nightmares I don t read or watch horror that involves excessive amounts of blood pouring out of bodies and pooling on the ground and our punching people out and whenever my husband watches a war movie, I have to cover my eyes during the battle scenes.Unfortunately, 80% of this book WAS a battle scene or related to battle in some way, shape or form so I couldn t skim The fight scenes bothered me and the parts that weren t about battle were boring I have no desire to read this particular classic ever again.

Tolstoi made the writing of Stephen Crane on the Civil War seem like the brilliant imagining of a sick boy who had never seen war but had only read the battles and chronicles and seen the Brandy photographs that I had read and seen at my grandparents house. Ernest HemingwayI think Hemingway s quote sums up the book pretty well The Red Badge of Courage was written when Crane had never seen battle it is the product of a young man s imagination he was only in his early twenties , trying to vividly capture the experience of war As a result, the story has elements of both realism and impressionism it alternates in a space between dream and reality, seeming by turns prosaic and surreal It is a decidedly well done piece of writing, though I can t see it evoking much feeling in modern readers The prose is stylish and forceful the dialogue is consistently good the portrayal of the protagonist s emotional state is done with skill Still, all told, it does feel a bit like a writing exercise than a piece of literature I can imagine the young Crane setting himself the challenge of mentally constructing a battle as vividly as possible, feverishly writing down his daydreams For such a young man, the writing is done with considerable polish and verve it s a shame he died so early If you listen carefully, you can hear aspects of both Hemingway and Steinbeck presaged in this work At the time, writing battles this way as a phantasmagoric sequence of images wasn t really done and since its publication, the book has had a tremendous influence I think one of the reasons a modern reader will feel numb to its charms is that this book had a huge influence on the modern war movie As in so many cinematic battles, the political and strategic aspects are deemphasized completely, leaving only the soldier with his gun, his guts, and bullets whirring all around him It s a shame Crane didn t live longer this is no masterpiece, but it shows enormous potential.