[Reading] ➻ The Jungle Books Author Rudyard Kipling – Dailytradenews.co.uk

The Jungle Books pdf The Jungle Books, ebook The Jungle Books, epub The Jungle Books, doc The Jungle Books, e-pub The Jungle Books, The Jungle Books f157538614b The Jungle Books Can Be Regarded As Classic Stories Told By An Adult To Children But They Also Constitute A Complex Literary Work Of Art In Which The Whole Of Kipling S Philosophy Of Life Is Expressed In Miniature They Are Best Known For The Mowgli Stories The Tale Of A Baby Abandoned And Brought Up By Wolves, Educated In The Ways And Secrets Of The Jungle By Kaa The Python, Baloo The Bear, And Bagheera The Black Panther The Stories, A Mixture Of Fantasy, Myth, And Magic, Are Underpinned By Kipling S Abiding Preoccupation With The Theme Of Self Discovery, And The Nature Of The Law

10 thoughts on “The Jungle Books

My new favourite.Incredible 10 10Timeless So much thought and imagination Animal lover forever.Everything made sense, the laws of the jungle Can t rememeber the last time i read something so amazing and unique.I dont cry reading books but this nearly got me at the end.

eBookOnce again, I m struck by the savagery that resonates throughout Kipling s writing It would be so easy to think of The Jungle Book in a Disney fied light talking animals, singing, the rhythmic cadences of a fairy tale or lullaby But overarching all that is the ever present reminder that the world of the jungle is a world of nature, red in tooth and claw Mowgli is raised by wolves and instructed by Baloo for the explicit purpose of survival in a harsh world that actively seeks his death Kotick is born and raised amidst bloodshed from two distinct sources other seals and man Rikki Tikki Tavi subverts the traditional story of a pet protecting his master by making the masters little than incidental characters Rikki Tikki wants to protect them, but his actions are driven by instinct rather than any familial bond with the humans Even in the less obviously blood drenched stories, violence is a powerful force Toomai s journey to witness the dance of the elephants puts him at great risk of death.The story I found most interesting, however, was the one which closes the book, Her Majesty s Servants The characters of this particular story are the camp animals for an army, but paradoxically, these might be the most innocent characters in the whole book All their conversation is about war and its methods, but without any real recognition of what it means These animals have been tamed by man, stripped of their natural instincts, and so, with the exception of the elephant, they don t realize what war means, content merely to follow orders and limit their perspective to the specifics of their duties.And maybe that s the true lesson of The Jungle Book Yes, it s violent, endlessly circling and returning to the themes of death and danger, but in the world of the animals, death and danger exists because they are necessary parts of life Animals must eat, so animals must hunt and kill But for people, violence is stripped of that which makes it necessary Wars don t happen for food and survival they happen for sport and profit.Or maybe I m just a filthy hippie.

This was a Jepheny Mah Fah buddy read that we went into with great excitement and enthusiasm Can t Wait So looking forward to this I ve had this on my shelves forever, let s get started Woo Hoo Alas, it was on the disappointing side The hope was to get the original take on these stories that Disney has whitewashed on a couple of occasions and to that point it does succeed Sort of Kipling presents the adventures of a feral jungle boy and his bloodthirsty pals as they brutally live by the law of the jungle No singing No dancing No resulting cute plushy version of Shere Khan to wander around Disneyland only to get kicked in the faux tiger family jewels by a vengeful four year old, summarily filmed and get a gazillion hits on YouTube and every dude who watches gets to wince at the thank God that wasn t me implications Youch, shots to the groin just aren t funny But I digress.This volume is The Jungle Books plural, not The Jungle Book singular My favorite Mah Fah buddy reader of all time and Thunder Buddy for Life, Stepheny, was lucky to pick up The Jungle Book singular whilst I got stuck reading The Jungle Books Two Count em Two plural.It s also the smarty pants Penguin version, which includes a scholarly introduction by some elbow patched, flannel jacketed, pipe smoking ass who gets to discourse with pseudo intellectual insight what Kipling s underlying message was for these stories Plus, there are eight footnotes per page that direct you to the back of the book for even useless background on this tome The reader can repeatedly swing back and forth between text and appendix all the while humming Bare Necessities to him or herself.Also, kids, caveat emptor All the stories aren t about Mowgli and his savage, vicious pals Rikki Tikki Tavi is the best of a wan bunch of animal themed stories Kipling even throws in a Seal and an Inuit story to keep the reader off balance and question the rather poor choice of titles.Arctic Freeze your nuts off coldJungle Sweat your nuts off hotJust sayin.The Mowgli stories are the best things here but they re spread out through the two jungle books waves to his favorite Mah Fah buddy reader Stepheny, who owes him big time Baby Man Cub is rescued and raised by wolves Man Cub gets befriended by big bear and panther Bagheera, the best character, by far, in this book Man Cub wreaks revenge on evil human village Man Cub grows up to dominate and lead his jungle pals he has stare down contests with em Man Cub grows up, gets restless and clumsy read horny Does he leave the jungle to boogie elsewhere Maybe.Snakes are Our Anthropomorphic Friends Department As Stepheny and I will espouse with great conviction, snakes can be real pals Hi Ermot So why does Kaa the Python get such a bum rap in the cartoon and live action remake Sure he does his hypnotize thing but that s only to eat some annoying, poo flinging monkeys He and Mowgli are good pals and he helps the Man Cub on a number of occasions Man eating pythons are man s best friend Yes If I haven t mentioned it before, this isn t a kid friendly version of these stories So if you plan to sit down with your young un and read stories based on seeing the cartoon, just don t view spoiler Mowgli skinning the bloody hide from a barely dead Shere Khan will keep the kiddies in nightmares for years to come hide spoiler

Yeah, yeah, ignore the White Man s Burden stuff Kipling is one of the best storytellers who ever lived, and neither the author s obnoxious politics nor a complete butchery of this wonderful wonderful story in its many terrible movie incarnations can take away the fact that the Mowgli stories of this and the Second Jungle Book are some of the greatest tales ever created Read this, for real It s a classic.

My Mom bought me The Jungle Book from her school and for years I didn t read it.Not until the summers of 2015 came and I promised myself that I m going to complete that years Goodreads challenge After reading the book, I remembered the days I used to watch the animated version on TV Everything was perfect Thank you Rudyard Kipling.

Whilst I think it is important to note and be aware of Rudyard Kipling s acknowledged support for imperialism and colonialism when reading any of his works these aren t themes which I found to be particularly evident let alone prevalent throughout this book Whilst we may find his politics distasteful at best and abhorrent at worst, I do think it is valid to judge a book or any other work of art outside of and standing alone from the artists political moral beliefs specifically and perhaps only when those views do not as in this case overwhelm or define the art which is produced On to the book Difficult at first when reading the first Mowgli stories for those of us who know and love the 1967 animated Disney version not to picture the animated characters in the context of the original stories However, it transpires that the original book stories have little or nothing to do with the animated Disney film other than character names and the sporadic jungle setting Once I was able to transcend that brief initial barrier to the imagination, I was then able to immerse myself fully in these stories to their full extent.As far as rating the book goes, this was challenging as the stories varied from anything between 2 and 5 stars hence my eventual 4 star rating To give some idea, I have listed the stories that I thought the most successful and enjoyed the most, as well as some that I found somewhat tedious and ultimately pointless.Favourites not in any order The White SealRikki Tikki Tavi Toomai of the Elephants The Miracle of Purun BhagatHow Fear CameThe King s AnkusQuiquernThe Spring RunningKaa s Hunting Tiger Tiger Most definitely bottom of the list Her Majesty s ServantsThe Undertakers I didn t enjoy much of the poetry in between all the stories with the odd notable exception.Overall and bearing in mind the number of great stories vs the number of ones that I think really should have been left out, this is a generally great collection of stories which creates a fantastic anthropomorphised world not just of the jungle but of many other scenarios outside of significantly remote from the jungle as well which came as a surprise This is written with such skill and creativity in some cases creating and resulting in some almost perfect short stories.

2.5 StarsI liked some stories than others The first few were my favorite and then I got bored Half read, half listened to on audio b c it seemed every time I picked it up, I fell asleep.

Probably the first books that I read in English Can t wait for the upcoming movie.

Thoroughly enjoyable Thank you, Karen, for this.

I read this to Nick because I read it myself as a first grader Yes, I was a precocious reader Since I haven t even glanced at it in the quarter century of intervening years, it was interesting to come back to it In some ways I was disappointed as an adult reader The formal, quasi Elizabethan language the animals use to talk to each other struck me as pretentious, which I don t believe was at all my original reaction There was that almost total lack of female characters that is almost inevitable in books meant for boys, which ticks me off every time Kipling s imperialism and unconscious racism were also sadly clear to me By racism, I hasten to add, I do not mean hatred I mean an unthinking assumption that white people, specifically the English, are inherently better than brown people, specifically Indians, in certain ways The imperialism clearly arises from the same source In fact I think Kipling loved India, including the people who lived there He just thought they weren t quite his equal These things bothered me, but at the same time I don t want to be too hard on him The man was writing over a hundred years ago, after all He was a product of his time, and really, I think his attitudes were better than most of his contemporaries.In spite of all this, there were many things to admire about these stories They are undeniably exciting, with a fully realized, exotic setting Riki Tiki Tavi was just as good as I remembered it The Mowgli stories were melancholy and violent than I remembered, but that s not entirely a bad thing It didn t bother Nick any, certainly, and it meant I enjoyed them than I might have otherwise Nick s opinion may matter the most And he loved it Maybe not as much as Harry Potter, but he was totally into the book The parts that bothered me didn t impinge on his mind at all All he heard was a series of cool stories about tough little boys and brave, noble animals.