[Read] ➺ The Four Stages of Cruelty ➶ Keith Hollihan – Dailytradenews.co.uk

The Four Stages of Cruelty chapter 1 The Four Stages of Cruelty , meaning The Four Stages of Cruelty , genre The Four Stages of Cruelty , book cover The Four Stages of Cruelty , flies The Four Stages of Cruelty , The Four Stages of Cruelty 8d0cc37dee5b4 Ditmarsh Penitentiary Holds Many Secrets Within Its Walls A Maximum Security Prison, It Contains Every Breed Of Hatred, Self Destruction, Greed, And Regret Its Inmates Aren T The Only Ones Who Grapple With These Emotions Under Constant Threat Yet Given Absolute Authority, The Guards Routinely Cross The Divide Between Law Enforcement And CriminalityCorrections Officer Kali Williams Takes Pains To Avoid The Complicated Traps Of Inmates And Guards Alike Then A Young Inmate Named Joshua Comes To Her For Help He Claims That Another Prisoner Has Drawn An Elaborate Comic Book, Which Holds A Guide To The Illicit Underworld Of Ditmarsh The Struggle To Obtain The Information Encoded In Its Pages Has Been The Cause Of Ever Increasing Violence Throughout The PrisonAt First Kali Can T Take Joshua Seriously But Soon Afterward, The Artist Inmate Disappears Completely As She Retraces His Steps, She Enters A Labyrinthine World Inside The Prison With Unexpected Connections To The Outside World Along The Way, She Uncovers The Most Bewildering Secret Of All The Mystery Of Human Compassion, The Twisted Forms It Can Take, And The Violence And Redemption It Makes Possible

10 thoughts on “The Four Stages of Cruelty

Four Stages of Cruelty is a precise description of life behind bars as seen through both the prisoner s and the guard s viewpoints It s chilling Kali is one of the few female guard s at her facility and she feels like an outsider Nineteen year old Josh is one of the youngest and newest prisoners and is completely lost as he tries to settle into life behind bars Hollihan tells his story through both Kali and Josh s eyes though Josh s voice rings truer Josh s next door cellmate Crawley has drawn a cartoon booklet and when feels his life is endangered he gives it to Josh for safekeeping Josh doesn t know what the drawings mean but senses they re important so he tries to pass the booklet to Kali when she escorts him to his father s funeral Kali refuses to take it but continues to worry about its significance She begins to investigate as riots break out in the prison knowing the booklet and the escalating violence are related There are lots of twists and turns and a great ending in this book Hollihan is very successful in keeping the reader s interest though Kali comes across as a bit mechanical His play with who is imprisoned, the jailer or the jailed, is fascinating and clearly delineated the best part of the book in my opinion I can t wait to read from Hollihan.

Very interesting take on the Corrections Officer profession, however it s a difficult book to recommend I believe that in order for this novel to be appreciated, the reader needs to have a working understanding of the profession of a Corrections Worker in order to really understand the situations the main character is put into and how realistic and likely these situations are However, the book deals with corruption and what seems like the worst case scenarios of people employed into corrections It may be perceived as mildly insulting and a bit offensive to those who enter these dangerous environments everyday to deal with high profile offenders and keep them away from the public.The best advice I can give to people who choose to read this book is to recognize what you are getting in to, and understand it s somewhat hollywoodized to make an extremely corrupt jail environment Not all Corrections workers are like that, and the main character is closer to the rule, rather than the exception.

Interesting story from a woman CO point of view from inside a prison for males The only thing I really liked was a brief mention of my all time favorite book To Kill a Mockingbird That s about it Weird and it made me feel kind of depressed once I was done So so

Well written, sharp, clear prose that put me in mind of Richard Price Kali Williams, corrections officer and protagonist is an amazingly complex character The detail and attention paid to the prison atmoshpere is compelling and completely believable Prison stories are not easy to write, and many authors make the mistake of crafting wild, excessive characters to achieve credibility make you feel like you re walking those frightening corridors and navigating around characters who could eat you for breakfast In The Four Stages of Cruelty, the prisoners are calculating, ruthless and frightening and yet Hollihan succeeds in making them human, even likeable, without gratutitous vulgarity and line after line of hardman talk The plot, seemingly linear at first, is brilliant and convincing, as Kali Williams slowly peels back layers to reveal that the government, or corrections department, does not have control of Ditmarsh Penitentary.

Three and a half stars really Maybe even four A prison novel isn t exactly holiday week reading and, as usual, I read this one with repellant fascination I think the reviews here do it some injustice, though it s not that nasty It s almost of a crime novel with a mystery at the center, told mostly from the interesting point of view of a female corrections officer in a men s facility It s also extremely well written, enough so to say that this is one of the better crime debuts of the year, one that was sneaked into publication in mid December, which is odd, considering the subject.Kudos to the cover artist, who brilliantly captures the book.

This is not typically the sort of book I d read, a seemingly violence studded thriller with a mystery at its core, I was wowed It truly engaged me It opened my eyes to another world, the underbelly of prison life It wasn t pretty, but it was a fascinating story of survival and morality, told through the eyes of a female corrections officer who discovers surprising criminal alliances that involve her fellow officers and the inmates.Must read

This is a gripping and visceral book A literary achievement unlike anything I ve ever read Agree, though, that its content and situations make it difficult to recommend per se.

I was reluctant to read this book because I thought it was going to be a sad story without much action about a young convict that I was supposed to feel sorry for Why did I think this I dunno, the cover Once I began, though, the plot just took right off and I barely gave a shit about the kid Graphic and fast paced, this book would make a great movie.Every so often, I hear someone on NPR rave about a crime fiction author Lee Child and Carl Hiaasen come to mind I go and read the authors and I m utterly disappointed because the writing sucks even in the best of them and they aren t very creative I feel like I can hear the authors brain scraping an empty plastic bucket looking for fantastic plot devices.This book, though, is the one I was searching for It is well written and delivers the grit and adventure of the crime genre without the baggage of that genre I enjoyed the feeling of not knowing what would happen next I enjoyed the author s clever turns of phrase and I did care about the main character, a woman corrections officer.The prison had this magical realism quality to it This made me not able to completely trust the world it was set in For example, I couldn t trust that the inmates wouldn t wake up one morning with the ability to fly because so many unlikely privileges were delivered to them I heartily recommend it and my copy is already in the hands of one of my co workers.

The narrator, a 39 year old female correctional officer CO , is wonderfully realistic Her past, her present, are skillfully rendered such that her values and ideas align with what we know of her The place she works, a maximum security prison is almost as realistic Her colleagues and the men under her supervision are mostly fully realized If this were only a novel of the experiences of a beleaguered CO, and the prison at which she works, it would be quite extraordinary.But Hollihan grafts on to this story a preposterous plot about a comic book and its role in prison corruption and a sort of buried treasure I m also a littler blinkered by the fact that this prison s inmates are all white men Maybe here are U.S prisons like that But the appalling statistics of racial disparity in who gets sent to prison suggests that this is a wee bit of fantasy.Oh, and the title of the novel it refers to a quartet of engravings done by British artist Hogarth depicting one man s life from horrific childhood to his eventual hanging for murder Perhaps a sensitive reader than I can parse how it applies to the novel The book is divided into four sections Stage One, Stage Two, etc But I couldn t figure out how the stages in the novel differed from one another or how they referred back to the Hogarth engravings.

Joshua Riff, a 19 year old convict at Ditmarsh Penitentiary, puzzles Kali Williams, a 39 year old corrections officer, in Hollihan s impressive first novel, a complex and atmospheric thriller The other COs are protecting Josh by keeping him segregated in the infirmary next to an enigmatic inmate, Jon Crowley Josh has been helping Crowley illustrate a densely symbolic comic book based on prison life called The Four Stages of Cruelty, which conjures up history from Ditmarsh s dark past When Crowley disappears, Williams investigates on her own The clues take her beneath the prison to the long abandoned isolation chambers that older convicts refer to as the City, and from there things really get interesting Hollihan manages to combine a labyrinthine plot, full of intrigue, secret societies, and arcane lore, with a nuanced, character driven narrative that provides insights into prison life while keeping readers guessing until the last page.Although I really loved the writing, I was still disappointed Kali let me down as a detective probing for the secrets of Ditmarsh Perhaps she wasn t as strong of a character as I had hoped All the characters were sad, depressed, dark, and crippled I was hoping Kali would come out stronger and smarter but I didn t really get that.