❰Reading❯ ➶ Out of the Past Author Patricia Wentworth – Dailytradenews.co.uk

10 thoughts on “Out of the Past

Frank Abbott says, I shall be off by an early train, so I thought I had better come and pay my respects tonight and let you know how the Cordozo affair has panned out Miss Silver thinks, Really, these modern expressions Derived, of course, from the gold mining industry, and in its way expressive, but one could hardly approve it I had to laugh because Miss Silver reminds me of myself at times like this occasionally jumping on my high horse or a soap box in defense of the English language Ha On the other hand, I am also known to make up new words here and there and tweak the noses of those who don t like the way I place my participles, or would like to see less or adjectives and or adverbs.And then there is Miss Silver s love for Lord Tennyson s poetry I have only read bits here and there, but any reader of Miss Silver s investigative adventures can attest to her mind expanding Tennyson quotes I have wondered if she memorized all of his works in their entirety because she can present one of his quotes for nearly every eventuality.There are a couple of very good Tennyson quotes in this novel, although I decided not to include any in my review because they could be construed as spoilers I like how this novel starts off as a family saga where we learn a great deal about the family and their closest friends As we move into present time, the story expands to include several friends of the family as house guests The overflow go to stay in the large rooming house next door where Miss Silver and her favourite niece are enjoying a pleasant holiday.One person who is connected to most of the others in the story turns up like the proverbial bad penny, three years after everyone was sure the person was settled and happy elsewhere The malice starts small, and always with a smile and then grows in increments until it mushrooms into a big canopy that covers nearly everyone in the two households containing owners and guests.Then, like dominoes going down, a suspect list for murder takes its toll on the inhabitants of the two dwellings Nerves are stretched tight, and no one knows for certain who they can trust Somehow, Frank Abbott and Miss Silver need to right those dominoes, examine each one carefully and find out who the culprit is before they are driven to strike again.A great story, a great plot, and keen insight into each of the book s characters can be found here I enjoyed this one a lot

Out of the Past Miss Silver, 23 by Patricia Wentworth.This has to be my favorite Miss Silver to date All the characters are introduced to the reader with their past lives in detail and how they relate to the others Excellent mystery and I might add may be compared to any of Agatha Christie s Miss Marple books.Carmona is staying at the estate left to her husband James by his late father They had been married a short time however, Carmona had been engaged to another man who left her at the altar and drifted off to south America without a word Three months after that deplorable experience she married James Suddenly Alan Field appears at the door with no other explanation other than he s decided to pay everyone a visit Mr Field does really care that not everyone is thrilled to see him or to welcome him back He apparently has other motives for his trip to pay his respects to his old chums That motive would be money and he is bound and determined to get as much as he can even if that means blackmail.So enjoyed this Miss Silver and can highly recommend it to any mystery lover.

Out of the Past Miss Silver 23 , Patricia Wentworth

This features one of the most deserving victims in the entire series.

I thought this was a pretty average Miss Silver outing Not the most intriguing of plots or selection of characters and it lacked some of the sparkle of the other books in the series.

Giving this 4 stars because I like the style and the period If you ve read all the Miss Marples, you could do worse than starting on Miss Silver Clever characterization, slightly severe detective Silver , a bit of police procedure, and no desultory, obligatory sex scenes Seriously If I wanted to read sex, I read a book about sex So many novels and films seem to have a checklist and pointless sex which lends itself to neither character or plot advancement is on it Along with unnecessary physical description of characters If being a tall blonde in designer shoes is IMPORTANT to the plot, fine Tell me If it isn t, it s just tedious I can t count the ARCs I ve tossed back because I ve had to read about what the protagonist looks like wears eats drives on the first page or two.

Enjoyed again in 2019.Six people have very strong motives to murder a rotter who has come back into their lives after jilting his fianc e and disappearing for three years He needs money, and blackmail is his method Luckily Miss Silver is staying at a boarding house close to the mansion where most of the cast are living visiting.A good average Patricia Wentworth whodunnit.

Just arrived from Finland through BM.A story where there are too many suspects of a murder crime, which calls for revenge, betrayal and blackmail.This is the 23rd book of Miss Silver series and reminds me the famous detective women created by Dame Christie Miss Marple These old ladies, who nobody notices, are the key personages who are able to solve very entangled murder mysteries.

When Miss Maud Silver goes to the Channel coat for a short holiday with her niece, she hardly expects to become involved in the murder of Alan Field, a young ne er do well who has just returned from South America after a three year absence When Field s body is found in the Hardwicks beach house, they and their guests are all logical suspects Several of the individuals on the scene an indistinct wife, a taciturn and strong willed widow, and a jilted former lover all have sufficient motives for murder Inspector Frank Abbott of Scotland Yard enlists the aid of Miss Silver, who, armed only with her knitting needles and years of long experience in observation of human nature, makes some startling deduction and reveals the culprit to the authorities back coverI ve adored the Miss Silver series ever since I discovered it years ago The basics elderly spinster who solves mysteries in English villages or small towns, seems a duplication of Miss Marple Imho, Patricia Wentworth s characters and plots have much depth than the Miss Marple series, especially Miss Silver you can imagine her as your maiden aunt with no trouble at all I think I have every Miss Silver book, and one of these days I m going to treat myself to a lovely binge of reading them all again in order.

A large number of suspects a vicious blackmailer lead Miss Silver on a twisted path to find the truth

Out of the Past download Out of the Past, read online Out of the Past, kindle ebook Out of the Past, Out of the Past 3a403a63eb57 James And Carmona Hardwick Are Spending The Summer Playing Host To Numerous Friends And Relatives In An Old Hardwick Family Residence By The Sea The Arrival Of Alan Field, A Devastatingly Handsome Though Shady Figure From Carmona S Past, Destroys The Holiday Atmosphere In The Ugly Old House And Replaces It With Mounting Tension, Culminating In Murder Fortunately For The Hardwicks And Their Guests, Miss Silver Is Present To Unravel The Secrets From The Past Secrets The Killer Will Stop At Nothing To Keep Hidden