[Epub] ➤ The English Civil War ➥ Tristram Hunt – Dailytradenews.co.uk

The English Civil War chapter 1 The English Civil War, meaning The English Civil War, genre The English Civil War, book cover The English Civil War, flies The English Civil War, The English Civil War 9da506ec616c7 A History Of The English Civil War Using First Hand Contemporaneous Accounts To Bring The Period And Its Characters To Life As Well As The Most Famous And Lively Documents, Diaries And Court Cases Of The Period, The Author Has Uncovered Less Known Sources Which Added Together Offer A New Angle On The Years Between And When Cromwell S Roundheads And Charles I S Cavaliers Fought Over Anglican Reforms And Scottish Rule

10 thoughts on “The English Civil War

An interesting read, showing letters, court documents and personal accounts of the Civil War which saw King Charles I lose his head Not overly detailed, aside from the personal accounts, but an interesting addition to any study of the Civil War.

A very important period of our history which I ve never felt fully to get to grips with This certainly helped Tristram Hunt s brilliant selections of contemporary accounts lovingly stitched together with his incisive and very readable commentary made this hard to put down.This traces the origins and development of a bitter civil war which killed of our people than the First World War It featured a foolish king whose most successful role was as a Christian martyr So many forces fighting for the nation s heart and soul The Divine Right of Kings v the various forms of Republicanism from repression to the most extreme forms of anarchy with a few bizarre religious practices thrown in Both Charles version of monarchy and the proletarian anarchists were ultimately defeated by the authoritarian regime of Cromwell, a mixture of repression and toleration unless you happened to be CofE.The bleakly grey years of Cromwell, king in all but name, paved the way for the Restoration and the advent of the Merry Monarch.

The English Civil War At First Hand The conflict that divided a nation, through the voices of those who were there In this books title is the only point at which I hold a criticism The civil war was a convulsion that erupted not just in England, but involved Scotland and Ireland too.For any reader drawn to the complexities of this period, Tristram Hunt s work is highly recommended.Throughout, Hunt s expert and clear narrative is enriched with the authentic voices from the seventeenth century The letters and speeches of Charles Stuart, parliamentarians, officers and soldiers of the various factions, religious tracts, broadsheet writings, diarists, poems and songs all serve to bring life and meaning to this world turned upside down It is easy to look back some three hundred and fifty years, with twenty first century hindsight, and judge monarchy and commons as extreme Also to view the explosion of religious sects as deluded, crazy folk I did relate and concur with the thoughts of Leveller Colonel Thomas Rainsborough in the Putney Debates, who s views took a further two hundred years to become law.All in all a very interesting and informative account of a brutal time, that gave birth to political, social and religious freedoms Yet also some scars that have still not been healed.

A collection of block quotes masquerading as a book.

I didn t love it although there are some very interesting a accounts I suppose I wanted on the military campaigns.

A concise history of the Civil War focusing on the people involved, I found this a good introduction to the subject.

I bought this book to help with my dissertation, and I m glad I did A pleasant read, with lots of good information in it Great for fans of history.

Fascinating to read the eye witness accounts of events and contemporary views of participants and observers from both sides in the conflict The author s joining narrative made it easy to follow the chronology of a complicated time but sometimes failed to provide an objective, evidence based analysis of an emotive subject.I found myself resenting Hunt s obvious bias towards the King s cause which for me crossed the boundary away from a strictly historical treatment of the subject matter.A good read and because so much of the book is quoting primary sources it deserves to be included in a bibliography of Civil War literature but do balance it with other books which are easily identified from the extensive bibliography.

I wanted to read a book about The English Civil War and knew next to nothing about the topic I was going to ead The English Civil War A people s History but went with this as it was thinner and was composed of first hand evidence This wasn t the best book to read as someone coming new to the subject It told the facts simply which I did want but there s hardly any authorial interpretation of events and there s just too much first hand evidence telling the story I know taht s the book s raison d etre but by the end of the book, which became quite a chore, I felt I d read lots of long documentary extracts very simply sewn together So now I have an introductory knowledge of what happened Where should I go next

snippets of as useful a selection of information you ll find anywhere but little in the way of original analysis or new interest The introduction makes broad sweeping claims and assumptions that plague any popular writing on the period which are tiresome for any academic to see continually reprinted This slender book may provide an interesting start point for any newly intrigued reader drawn to the c.17th but for those with an existing research interest in the era it may prove of little worth.