[Download] ✤ Deconstructing Penguins: Parents, Kids, and the Bond of Reading ➸ Lawrence Goldstone – Dailytradenews.co.uk

Deconstructing Penguins: Parents, Kids, and the Bond of Reading chapter 1 Deconstructing Penguins: Parents, Kids, and the Bond of Reading, meaning Deconstructing Penguins: Parents, Kids, and the Bond of Reading, genre Deconstructing Penguins: Parents, Kids, and the Bond of Reading, book cover Deconstructing Penguins: Parents, Kids, and the Bond of Reading, flies Deconstructing Penguins: Parents, Kids, and the Bond of Reading, Deconstructing Penguins: Parents, Kids, and the Bond of Reading 6da77d5951da5 Books Are Like Puzzles, Write Lawrence And Nancy Goldstone The Author S Ideas Are Hidden, And It Is Up To All Of Us To Figure Them Out In This Indispensable Reading Companion, The Goldstones Noted Parent Child Book Club Experts Encourage Grownups And Young Readers Alike To Adopt An Approach That Will Unlock The Magic And Power Of ReadingWith The Goldstones Help, Parents Can Inspire Kids Lifelong Love Of Reading By Teaching Them How To Unlock A Book S Hidden Meaning Featuring Fun And Incisive Discussions Of Numerous Children S Classics, This Dynamic Guide Highlights Key Elements Theme, Setting, Character, Point Of View, Climax, And Conflict And Paves The Way For Meaningful Conversations Between Parents And Children Best Of All, The Goldstones Note, You Don T Need An Advanced Degree In English Literature Or Forty Hours A Week Of Free Time To Effectively Discuss A Book With Your Child This Isn T Crime And Punishment, It S Charlotte S Web

10 thoughts on “Deconstructing Penguins: Parents, Kids, and the Bond of Reading

To let you know where I m coming from, I m a homeschool parent, I studied literature in college, and I m a writer And this book made me want to run headfirst into the nearest wall.The Goldstones premise is that when an author writes a book, they start out by thinking of some moral lesson they want to impart, then create a plot around it If kids are trained like dogs to sniff out the protagonist, antagonist, setting, climax, and other stuff that makes me sleepy, they can then peel all that away to find this object lesson Or something As a writer, let me tell you that this is crap Books are not a mystery with a single correct answer tucked away inside for children to find like the prize in a Crackerjack box They re stories Messy works of word art that mirror life and make us feel things All the things, if a book is particularly good.Sure, they d be much easier to teach if, like the Goldstones claim, you could sort them neatly into checklists using supposed clues left by the author and then find the shining, perfect moral in the middle, but they just don t work like that And no, I won t be shutting down my daughter s questions about her books if they lead to dead ends or superficial observations that don t make steady identifiable progress, like they advise The idea makes me feel vaguely ill, in fact I also won t be following their advice to never let my daughter read books that aren t really hard and don t provide fertile ground for handy charts I mean, heaven forbid she enjoy a good story without having to come up with insights about character, plot, and even the author s motives And let me tell you, no one can know the author s motives Half the time, even the author has no idea Stories that are created because the author had some kind of motive to teach kids a lesson usually suck If I want someone to beat me over the head with morality about something or other for several hours, I ll call my mother.Also, for some sick reason the authors feel the need to give away the ending of every book they discuss, so if you haven t read one of them yet, skip that section.

The authors are book collectors who have been conducting a popular parent child book club series in a public library in Connecticut This book describes their experience with the book clubs and shares their program Each chapter incorporates brief summaries of the books they shared at their meetings and a description of how they focused their discussion to help readers think critically about the books They lean very heavily on classic titles for young people, and they take issue with the premise popular in some circles that it doesn t matter what young people read so long as they do read They choose books with strong messages or important questions they layer in ambiguities and complexities for older children Deconstructing Penguins, the book s main title, references Mr Popper s Penguins, a book they use in their group It is an effective attention getter, but what prompted me to pick up the book and read was the subtitle Parents, Kids, and the Bond of Reading. As a teacher of middle school students who are developing their reading skills, I am always looking for any new ideas about how to encourage parents to bring reading into their relationships with their children in a positive way Unfortunately, while this book addresses the bond some parents and their children do share, it had nothing to say on the topic of encouraging the development of bonds where they do not already exist Parents and children who choose to read the same book together, planning thereafter to attend a voluntary Saturday afternoon book club in a public library, are already pretty thoroughly bonded in a relationship where the parent cultivates the intellectual growth of the child It is great that these parents and children share these books and the book club unfortunately, this book says nothing about how to plant a seed where the parent does not relate to reading with a child in such a great way.That said, the descriptions of the authors discussions with children and parents were instructive I have already borrowed some of the phrasing from their description of the elements of plot that lesson seemed to be helpful to my students, who are now discussing and writing about protagonists, antagonists, and the contested action between them, with greater fluency The book could also be useful to someone unfamiliar with the classic books for grades two through five, as the summaries they provide are well written.

Love this idea of a Book Detective book club Wish I was taught to read and critique books in this way I ve always had troubles taking a book to the next level after comprehension I love how the children and parents participated together and opinions accepted as equals A wonderful way to develop a love of learning and close relationships between book and child, parent and child, and adults and child I am so inspired now use the tools provided and share with family and friends.

I think the subtitle of this book is uninformative, a lost opportunity to really tell people what it s about Parents, kids, and the bond of reading Sounds lovely But what does it MEAN People, this book is awesome It s about teaching kids to be book detectives, how to find out what a book is REALLY about It teaches you how to guide kids through a discussion of a book, identifying the protagonist and antagonist, what their conflict is about, how the setting and other elements contribute, and what the author is really trying to tell us And it uses truly great books to do this, like Charlotte s Web and Animal Farm Yes, Animal Farm For kids.

A great inspiration for parent kid book club It makes the kids think and teaches them how to interpret what the author is talking about This book will definitely help me have meaningful book discussions with my kids.

You can read all of my reviews on my blog Cover2CoverMom Blog 3.5 Stars This was a very interesting little book about a husband wife team that run book clubs for parents their children The Goldstone team encourages book club members to be book detectives and work on breaking down books into their elements characters protagonist vs antagonist, setting, themes, etc to really dig into what the author was trying to convey with the books they read.The authors go through and talk about a selection of the books they frequently utilize in their book clubs in detail laying out questions they frequently ask how they get members to think like a book detective I would like to warn readers that Deconstructing Penguins includes spoilers of all the books discussed, so if you do not want to be spoiled for these books, you might not want to pick this up.I did think this would be a beneficial book for ELA teachers, librarians, parents, or youth book club leaders to pick up I really loved the idea of a parent child book club as a way for parents to not only bond with their children, but also allow parents to instill a love for reading in their children.My only criticism of the book would be that I STRONGLY disagree with the Goldstone s on their opinion on which books children should be reading What children read is important The theory that it doesn t matter what your child reads as long as he or she is reading something is plain wrong I strongly disagree with this statement I subscribe to the theory that it doesn t matter what your children read as long as they are reading, whether that be graphic novels, comic books, sports magazines, etc The whole point is to instill the love for reading into children so that they will grow up to be life long readers Allow those comic books and graphic novels to be gateways to fiction novels Allow sports magazines to be gateways to nonfiction books.

The best part is that every September, the experience renews itself brb, sobbing.

If you are not yet involved with a parent and child reading group this book is going to make you want to begin one or join one Not only that, it s going to put plenty of tools in your belt to pull it off with success I loved all the examples they used Admittedly I was surprised at some of their selections, but I am duly persuaded that they will all work if approached as presented here.In fact, one afternoon my sixteen year old mentioned that she needed to write an essay on agency or free choice Having just read the chapter involving their discussion of THE GIVER by Lois Lowry I was primed to dive into a discussion involving some of the distopia novels we ve read THE GIVER not having been one of them for us By the way, this chapter was tantalizingly titled Obvious Characters, Contrived Endings, and Convenient Plot Devices with the subtitle Grading the Author.A nice feature of Deconstructing Penguins are the book summaries which they include and their thoughts on how they go about selecting books to discuss Even though only Lawrence Goldstone is credited as author this is definitely the combined work of a husband and wife team Our library recently launched a monthly mother daughter book group night for which I ve volunteered to help lead the discussion of FROM THE MIXED UP FILES OF MRS BASIL E FRANKWEILER by E L Konigsburg Happily, there is a sample discussion of this title included in the chapter Crisis and Conflict Identifying the Climax.Another personal observation I d like to include is that I appreciated the approach they used for discussing Jack London s CALL OF THE WILD with fourth graders directly on the heels of reading and discussing ANIMAL FARM by George Orwell which they treat at length in their chapter Putting It Together What is the Book Really About My daughter was required to read CALL OF THE WILD in middle school and found the book to be very distressing Had her reading been followed up with a discussion such as is demonstrated here she would have come away with quite a different take on the work.I absolutely LOVED their chapter on poetry, or Songs Without Music as they put it I wanted to copy the entire twenty page treatment and mail it to my father, who was my mentor into poetry.In their book discussions the Goldstones welcome remarks from both the parents and the children Participants gain a respect for one another The playing field is leveled and all come away enriched Three cheers for this work May it help launch a parent child book discussion wave that swells to critical mass

This book takes you through protagonist and antagonist characters it s deeper and subtle than I ever realized , how to discover a fiction author s reason for writing a book, how to run a parent child bookclub, AND a bunch of individual books that they love to read with elementary age school kids and why I really love booklists I didn t know Jack London was a socialist These authors say that Buck going to be head of the wolf pack was London s way of saying that employees are suppressed and kept from being who they really are by their employers THe title refers to their very first bookclub being about Mr Poppers Penguins I missed the fact that what made Mr Popper different from his sleepy town is that he had a dream There s a lot of great discussion that can go on around that I missed it entirely wondered why so many people liked it I hope I can read and think differently about fiction having read this book.

This is a great how to book for leading book discussions, especially with children It is neat to learn from books at multiple levels I can see how discussing the books we read can really make the impact they have on our lives solidified and applicable.I was also impressed that book discussions with children AND parents together can have an even greater impact.One statement that really stood out was that it DOES matter WHAT children read Some say that it doesn t matter what kids read as long as they are reading However, there is a lot of fluff and junk in the world If we want to encourage thinking and values, we parents need to care what our children read Help them choose good books worth reading and read it with them And then discuss the ideas in those books And live the principles we learn.