[Download] ➸ Notes on Nursing: What It Is, and What It Is Not ➽ Florence Nightingale – Dailytradenews.co.uk

Notes on Nursing: What It Is, and What It Is Not summary Notes on Nursing: What It Is, and What It Is Not, series Notes on Nursing: What It Is, and What It Is Not, book Notes on Nursing: What It Is, and What It Is Not, pdf Notes on Nursing: What It Is, and What It Is Not, Notes on Nursing: What It Is, and What It Is Not cfe9ba116b My Heart Always Sinks Within Me When I Hear The Good Housewife, Of Every Class, Say, I Assure You The Bed Has Been Well Slept In, And I Can Only Hope It Is Not True What Is The Bed Already Saturated With Somebody Else S Damp Before My Patient Comes To Exhale In It His Own Damp Has It Not Had A Single Chance To Be Aired No, Not One It Has Been Slept In Every Night From The Best Known Work Of Florence Nightingale , The Originator And Founder Of Modern Nursing, Comes A Collection Of Notes That Played An Important Part In The Much Needed Revolution In The Field Of Nursing For The First Time It Was Brought To The Attention Of Those Caring For The Sick That Their Responsibilities Covered Not Only The Administration Of Medicines And The Application Of Poultices, But The Proper Use Of Fresh Air, Light, Warmth, Cleanliness, Quiet, And The Proper Selection And Administration Of Diet Miss Nightingale Is Outspoken On These Subjects As Well As On Other Factors That She Considers Essential To Good Nursing But, Whatever Her Topic, Her Main Concern And Attention Is Always On The Patient And His NeedsOne Is Impressed With The Fact That The Fundamental Needs Of The Sick As Observed By Miss Nightingale Are Amazingly Similar Today Even Though They Are Generally Taken For Granted Now To What They Were Over Years Ago When This Book Was Written For This Reason, This Little Volume Is As Practical As It Is Interesting And Entertaining It Will Be An Inspiration To The Student Nurse, Refreshing And Stimulating To The Experienced Nurse, And Immensely Helpful To Anyone Caring For The Sick

10 thoughts on “Notes on Nursing: What It Is, and What It Is Not

A piece of history, I enjoyed reading nursing pioneer Florence Nightingales account of nursing in a time when the profession was not widely respected or even considered to be a feasible career The language is, of course, typical of the era of which it was written in which requires an amount of concentration by the reader to fully understand the overall message I read this from a purely historical interest point of view while I was training as a nurse myself It s interesting to see what aspects are still applicable to nurses today.

I read this purely for the historical aspect of nursing I didn t expect that I d get a good laugh every few pages Florence Nightingale was one sassy sarcastic lady Ms Nightingale is my 18th century spirit animal Besides the humor that I so enjoyed, it was an interesting perspective on some aspects of nursing during the 18th century Im convinced that if every medical professional had the forethought and common sense nursing perspective, as Nightingale called it, the world would be a much better place.

I loved this peek into the world of nursing through the eyes of Florence Nightingale Nightingale lived during the Victorian Age during the Industrial Revolution in the mid 1800 s She witnesses to hearing a call of God when she was 16 which eventually led her into ministering to the sick.Possessing superior administrative skills and viewing nursing as an art not just a science she has stated that, Every woman is a nurse Common sense natural health suggestions were presented in each chapter such as the importance of light, proper nutrition, and complete consideration for the one ill in regards to noises and environment Proper air ventilation and cleanliness without harsh smells were touched on as well as warmth and quiet for the ill were deemed crucial to one s quality of health As a mother, I am a nurse and benefitted from the notes of Nightingale This little classic should be required reading to all going into the ministry of serving the sick.

Since I am studying nursing, this was a really interesting read Written by the lady who made nursing a respectable career, I enjoy comparing the methods she was inspired to use vs the way we do things in our day Her language is very Jane Austen like.and to the point The most interesting point I learned was her belief that the quality of air we breathe is the single most important thing to making a sick person healthy and keeping healthy people healthy Further, she says that even in the winter, we should always have a window open day and night, to keep air flow in our homes despite the cold Hmm The first thing I did after I put the book down was ran and opened all my windows.rain schmrain

Admittedly, I probably find this book a bit fascinating than the average person as I am nurse, yet it is an interesting snapshot of the medical practices of Flo s time Of course, much of what Ms Nightingale wrote about is completely irrelevant or incorrect by today s standards However, her focus was on caring for the entire well being of her patients Modern nursing not only owes much to Nightingale s work, but would do well to better implement some of her words into practice today.

I read this book because I am a new nursing student It was very interesting to learn many of today s nursing procedures started with Florence Nightingale She truly was is the foundation of nursing Simple things like clean beds and clean clothes, opening windows and airing out the room, basic commonsense with regards to food and nutrition and amazingly enough, even sunlight plays a role in healing Very good read.

Yeah I get it ventilate the room, wash your hands, change the patient s sheets, keep the chamber pot empty.There is no doubht that nursing would not be what it is today with out Florence Nightingale, but this book was so preachy and nagging I will definately save it as a citation source for later work, but not something you want to read again or ever.

Every nurse should read this to remind us where nursing has been, how far we ve come and what has not changed at all Florence Nightingale had incredible foresight not only in nursing but in public health.

Florence Nightingale s tips on the many varied aspects of nursing Not, as she explicitly states repeatedly throughout the book, a guide to be used for training a hospital nurse, but a guide for the private nurse The nurse, either paid or voluntary, who is called upon to look after a patient a mother nursing a sick child, a relative called upon to look after an invalid, or a private nurse hired to take care of a patient in a private home Nightingale points out that while the intention may be good, in most cases, this form of nursing is sadly lacking in even the very basics that most hospitals have as part of routine systems As part of this, she covers everything from ensuring fresh air and ventilation the importance of cleanliness in food, air, and water going even into great detail about what type of chamber pots to use, how to clean them, and so on food for patients what signs to look out for in patients that could indicate their state of health or not She even touches on topics such as reading to patients with tips on speed, topic, even with recommendations visitors to a patient the importance of a window with a view on the outside world what bedding is best for the sick, and how the bedding as well as the bedstead should be handled, aired and cleaned What makes this book interesting is that it offers insights into both the world of late 19th century health and sanitation that dreaded deadly night air as well as into Florence Nightingale s own mind and psyche While much of what she says is obviously horrifically outdated even the layman now knows differently and scientifically perhaps on what was back then even unknown to medical science what stands out vividly is Ms Nightingale s no nonsense attitude, so at odds with prevailing norms for how women should think and behave For instance Let no one ever depend upon fumigations, disinfectants, and the like, for purifying the air The offensive thing, not its smell, must be removed A celebrated medical lecturer began one day, Fumigations, gentlemen, are of essential importance They make such an abominable smell that they compel you to open the window I wish all the disinfecting fluids invented made such an abominable smell that they forced you to admit fresh air That would be a useful invention.Recommended if you want a glimpse into either Ms Nightingale or the times she lived in Or, of course, if you re a nurse or interested in medical professions, especially their history.

Required reading for class.