[Ebook] ➩ A History of the Christian Church Author Williston Walker – Dailytradenews.co.uk

A History of the Christian Church txt A History of the Christian Church, text ebook A History of the Christian Church, adobe reader A History of the Christian Church, chapter 2 A History of the Christian Church, A History of the Christian Church a6371b Since Publication Of The First Edition In , A History Of The Christian Church By Williston Walker Has Enjoyed Outstanding Success And Recognition As A Classic In The Field Written By An Eminent Theologian, It Combines In Its Narrative A Rare Blend Of Clarity, Unity, And Balance In Light Of Significant Advances In Scholarship In Recent Years, Extensive Revisions Have Been Made To This Fourth Edition Three Scholars From Union Theological Seminary In New York Have Incorporated New Historical Discoveries And Provided Fresh Interpretations Of Various Periods In Church History From The First Century To The Twentieth The Result Is A Thoroughly Updated History Which Preserves The Tenor And Structure Of Walker S Original, Unparalleled Text

About the Author: Williston Walker

Is a well-known author, some of his books are a fascination for readers like in the A History of the Christian Church book, this is one of the most wanted Williston Walker author readers around the world.

10 thoughts on “A History of the Christian Church

One of my brothers worked for a great books college where no history to speak of is taught The students work solely with original texts, delving deeply into some seminal issues, but have little sense of how they fit together Unless they do the contextual study themselves and get a sense of human history and its dynamics, they end up with too much appreciation of the Platonic notion that somehow ideas are superior to and independent of their instantiations, that thinkers are superior to and independent of their material roots, that they are participating in some grand dialog transcending space and time.This criticism can be applied to myself by means of an analogy Just as it is misleading to think, say, that you can read and understand Plato without knowing the history surrounding the Peloponnesian Wars, so it is naive to believe that you can understand another culture without knowing its language s Although I started thinking myself an historian as a high school freshman, I ve never been good at the memorization required for learning foreign languages and, so, have never really acquired any except, perhaps, American Sign Language and that was picked up at home by using it than by classwork.Viewed from the outside, many of the dogmas and doctrines of the Christian churches seem psychotic, divorced from reality Viewed contextually in their historical context they begin to make sense One of my complaints about an otherwise fine school is that Union Theological Seminary did not have us do our three semesters of required Church History courses at the very outset, but allowed me to wait until I was already well into the M.Div program A lot of the philosophy theology coursework would have been easier, would have made sense, if I had read Walker s History of the Christian Church or Kelly s History of Dogma beforehand or alongside the foundational texts.One of the fun things about general histories, particularly those which treat of matters never studied systematically before, is that you discover so much which is familiar It s like looking up a word you ve seen, even uncertainly employed, over the years and finally discovering its etymology and range of meanings You have that pleasant Aha experience which encourages the faith that this big wide world of ours actually might make sense given enough effort It certainly appears richer, pregnant with signification and meaning.David Lotz, teacher of the second of our required Church History courses, the one on the late Middle Ages and the Reformation, was one of the contributors to Walker s amended text Although neither a colorful individual nor particularly entertaining lecturer, rather a dry expositer of facts and rather exacting examiner, I very much enjoyed his class because the combination of his demands and the great mass of material we were forced to face led to a semester of discovery upon discovery.I still think a lot of religious dogma and doctrine is weird, but Walker and Lotz have greatly contributed to a faith that, with effort, it can all make sense.

This was the text book for a class on Church History while I was in college Most of my text books I chose to sell back to the school or to other students, but this one I gladly kept It is a wonderful book written on the history of religion and then men who shaped the religions of the world.

I invite readers to checlk out my book review of Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo in this website

A solid but dated study of the Christian church As a one volume treatment, the depth is limited Still it is a great introduction.

Like many Christians, I feel as if I know far too little about the history and development of my own faith tradition Thus, I was looking for an overview of Christian history, and this seemed to be one of the authoritative and definitive texts It has been around for a while and I know a number of pastors and theologians who have it on their shelves as a core text The plethora of authors on the front cover will tell you how old it is and how often it has been expanded and revised The edition I read was copyright 1985, but the original author died in 1922.Given the immense scope of what the book covers, it is remarkably lucid and readable Walker and his collaborators describe the historical events of the Christian faith as well as the political, social and economic events that affected the development of that faith into an organized religion and church They start with the Apostles and move through the early church years to the Roman Catholic Empire Roman Catholic Church and on to the Reformation and Protestantism Given the length of the book just over 700 pages , it is impossible for too much detail to be offered, but the key dates, events and personages are given thumbnail sketches and the major inflection points, controversies and schisms are all covered.At times, I was a little frustrated because the book would jump backwards or forwards in time to pick up another angle on a particular era e.g while this was going on in Rome, this was happening in Africa Because I read the book in small chunks, it became harder to sync up certain actions, events and players especially when juxtaposing theological controversies with political actions There is just too much content and remembering each name, place and incidence becomes challenging, if not impossible.I was struck by a couple of things while reading this One was that there has long been a huge messy intertwining of temporal and spiritual power in the history of religion Christian or otherwise We still wrestle with this topic today, especially in the US, as political candidates and business leaders are sometimes judged on their faith and values Some feel that it is good to know what a politician or businessperson believes about God while others think that such disclosures have no place in public life But our conversations and conflicts around faith in the public sphere are nothing like the outright wars of the Middle Ages as popes and kings went into battle to seize or retain power.The other thing that struck me was how much things remain the same Some of the theological arguments of the early years of the faith the nature of the Trinity, our understanding of the nature of Christ, the exact mechanism of atonement are still being argued today, 2000 years later What disheartens me is that many of my fellow believers have no idea that the conversations we re having now aren t original and that there are ideas to call on from earlier eras.So, for anyone who wants to better understand the history of this messy, sometimes sad, beautiful, frustrating and inspiring thing called the Christian church, Walker s book may be a good place to start It s a bit dry and it is certainly written at a 30,000 foot level But it provides the reader with the overview needed to have a general working knowledge and perhaps to begin deeper study.

I bought it fir a quarter at a yard sale Excellent for a textbook Dry and historical, but super well researched This book was my first experience into a bigger world of Christian history It was accessible and easily digested for a novice I d still be referring to it, but I have since loaned it away Never to be heard from again.

I read to p 279, which is the end of Period IV and the end of my required reading for the St Stephen s course While it s full of information, this book is very dense and slow reading, and the author at times seems to assume a lot about the background knowledge of the reader Let s just say I m glad to be moving on.

An excellent history of the Christian Church.

The most informative, insightful, comprehensive church history combined with good writing A classic.

Excellent concise treatment, from New Testament times to the 20th century.