❰KINDLE❯ ❄ The Devil In Pew Number Seven Author Rebecca Nichols Alonzo – Dailytradenews.co.uk

10 thoughts on “The Devil In Pew Number Seven

Sometimes an author has a good story that would have worked well in 10,000 words This is one of those stories.Alonzo gives a personal account of a nasty man in a tiny NC town who tried to literally bomb her family into leaving the church where her dad was a pastor The story itself in short form is pretty gripping The author uses her personal experience to appeal to others to forgive those who have wronged them I appreciate the heart of the book very much, but it suffers from glaring problems.The story is so long winded and poorly written that I found myself skipping huge swaths of text just to move on to the next point If you ve ever read an essay by a young student who s trying to stretch a too small story to fit a long assignment, you have read this book The writing style combines folksy metaphor with artless foreshadowing and burdensome repetition The sentimentality of the story telling got nauseating after a while But to be fair, I did stick with the book long enough to find out what happened to the family It s not the story that I have a problem with, it s the telling.In short, this tale would have formed the basis of an excellent article in Christianity Today on the subject of forgiveness As a book, it s a horrible example of nonfiction writing.

I WANTED to like this book The story itself is genuinely interesting a pastor and his young family move to a church in a small town and are terrorized by a crazed community member who didn t like their brand of Jesus A TRUE story involving bribery, harassment, tire slashings, shootings, murder attempts, and bombings, oh my The narrator, however, ruins the entire story Perhaps it was ruined because I listened to the audiobook, which was read by the author For at least half the book, the author sounds on the verge of tears, which after the first several hours is just friggin irritating The other half is spent in screechy exultation of whoever is being glorified at the moment Told by the pastor s oldest daughter, the story is ruined by the syrupy sweet hero worship and brain washed Bible thumping that invades every other sentence The author can t add a single detail without adding a glorious power of Jesus or Lord s sweet loving mercy Her Mama and Daddy the way they are referred to for the entirety of the book, despite the narrator being nearly 40 are described as the world s most perfect parents to a ridiculous degree For example, when the author is 7, she makes mud pies on the seats of the church bus Her Daddy catches her and her Mama gives her a good scrubbing to get the mud off Typical childhood story, right Nope The story is pages long, devoted to praising her parents for not loving her any less for doing it Seriously In what universe would it be normal for parents to love their 7 year old less because she made a mess That doesn t make them divine, or Christ like, or saintly It just makes them parents of a small child Nevertheless, the entire book is told in excruciating, glorifying detail as if every mundane event were evidence of her parents perfection The whole book is filled with this suffocating sentimentalism that, halfway through the second chapter, had me wishing that the family s house would just blow up already to put an end to the whole business Unfortunately, the family s torture lasted for than 7 years, meaning the reader s torture will continue for many nauseating chapters Yes, the STORY is heart wrenching and tragic But the BOOK is a nightmare of intolerably poor writing that should have been scrubbed by at least 38 editors before being considered by publishers Further, the entire book is an infuriating description of poor parenting and the stupidity that results when faith overcomes logic Your house is blown up What do you do Stay because Jesus told you That makes sense Blown up again Shot at Blown up again Again and again until you ve been bombed TEN TIMES, had your child s bedroom shot at while she slept, had your tires slashed, had your dog killed, spent years sleeping with an armed guarded on your property due to constant threat Listen, what exactly did these people THINK was going to happen Seems to me Jesus wasn t testing their resolve he was sending them WARNING GTFO NOW signs that they should have heeded years ago If you can find a Cliff Note s version of this, the plot is interesting and worth skimming But the hysterical tone, the religiously inspired stupidity, and the narrator s incessant apotheosis will ruin the story for anyone except maybe a bored Freudian.

The title had put me off this book but I decided to read it in the end Labeling someone as the Devil may help to sell books catch a readers eye but i m not sure that it s justifiable especially in light of what subsequently happens in this book.The author relays events beginning when she wasn t even born She uses journals diaries and later records her own memories Her Christian parents move to a small town for her father to take up a pastoral position in a church On arrival, however, they find that the church is essentially controlled by one man who isn t actually even a member He uses his connections in high places and money to dominate the church scene and later according to the author pursues a relentless campaign of harassment against the Pastor and his family in an attempt to run them out of town Later in the story a further incident occurs involving another man from the community resulting in the death of several people These incidents seem to be only tentatively linked but are clearly traumatic for the author.I found the writing style difficult The author goes into a lot of detail about her childhood and other events in her life that didn t have any bearing on the main events of the book Having worked in law enforcement I found some of the events described hard to believe from a criminal justice perspective the frequent use of dynamite to blow up various items in the vicinity of the author s house seemingly with no real efforts by the perpetrator to cover his tracks hide what he was doing Surely this is a serious failure by the police as the offender was known to all and also living in the community This serious harassment continued on and off for years including one event where shots were fired INTO the victim s house narrowly missing various people living there It all seeemed a bit unlikely and also that the other side of the story needed to be told.I was saddened to read of latter events the serious decline in the mental health of the Pastor But I wasn t surprised after all that had been endured.I wondered at the end of this book what the purpose was in writing it The author details her faith in Jesus and her parents also seemed to have a strong faith throughout There are several chapters at the end on the subject of forgiveness in relation to what had happened.Maybe this felt disjointed as it was written from the perspective of the author as a child I don t think the publicity the author and her family received in recent years necessarily helped her I m not sure what to think about this book other than to say that I don t agree with the title Probably the best word for the series of events as described by the author is odd There was a scene where her dead mother appears to one of the perpetrators in a vision to offer forgiveness, the author comments that this is just like her mother to do something like thati would question the authenticity of that account.The book is fairly clean free of bad language and sexual content but there is obviously a lot of violence.

Few books have touched me like this one If I had to summarize it in two words, it would be Forgiveness personified The book begins by Rebecca telling her story In a short time her life went from being a daughter of a happy country preacher, to a living hell when a power hungry man realizes he can t rule the young preacher and decides it s time for him to go The preacher is determined not to be driven away by the vindictive man, but to serve the congregation he loves and tough it out The man in row seven is relentless and steps up the campaign of persecution.I m not going to give away many details since it would detract from the book, but I have to say that the story is compelling and impossible to put down It begins with a ring side seat, but by the midpoint of the book, you re no longer an observer, but part of the family At times the story becomes almost too painful to bear I found myself asking, How can she write in such an upbeat tone while expressing such great loss and pain at the hands of another person It would be a while before I found the answer to this question.At one point I was tempted to put the book down because of the personal pain she shared Not many things can affect me this way, but I found myself asking, how can it get any worse What is the point of sharing this series of tragedies Why should any family have to endure this Then Rebecca turns the corner at the end of the book When she encounters the man who caused so much harm, Rebecca is faced with the challenge of forgiveness Having the example of her father s forgiveness in the face of such persecution set the example, but now she had to learn to do this in her own life In the final pages I found myself saying that enduring the pain of reading her story was worth it While the hand of providence didn t erase the pain, God s work certainly made it clear that it was all worth it and served a purpose As the reader, I experienced a glimpse of the pain and triumph of the lifetime of struggle this family endured Because of that glimpse, I see the confidence the believer has when they remain faithful and trust the Lord to reveal the power of life changing forgiveness Both in the lives of the forgiven as well as the forgiver are changed.Though this is a tough read, I believe every person should read this book It s a story of living faith and forgiveness personified It truly shows how forgiveness is possible and that there is no situation that justifies dismissing the command to forgive I was so moved by the joy of redemption at the end that it made the difficulties of the story worth the endurance And this is for me as a mere reader How much true is that for the author who actually lived this story I highly recommend this book

This story has multiple levels to it that all lead to the murder of a preacher s wife, attempted murder of the preacher, and the children who live through the aftermath of witnessing all this.In the beginning, we re introduced to the couple who would fall in love, start a family, and who see their mission in life as helping revive people s faith in God Unfortunately, for them this led them to a town where a man couldn t stand losing power This man named Mr Watts terrorized this family in order to get them to leave town The couple, who I do respect for being true to their calling, refused to leave the town as they felt they needed them and God It bothers me that the parents didn t move their kids away from this man who literally set multiple bombs around the church and preacher s home If I had kids I wouldn t let this clearly mentally disturbed Mr Watts near my family In the end, he didn t need to be near this family to wreck havoc on their lives It s terrifying how Mr Watts was able to talk to a man afraid of losing his wife and telling him that all will be well if he gets rid of the preacher and his family AND the man actually does it.This is a tragic and interesting true life story but the writing lacked some unity for me Mrs Nichols Alonzo shares her family s story in detail but it s not vivid enough I m not sure if Mr DeMoss watered down the details or if it was too sensitive a subject for Mrs Nichols Alonzo to fully share That being said, I respect the tameness as I m not sure how I d feel about sharing the biggest tragedy of my life in a book for all to read Still this book was just okay for me The writing mixed with the not so great narration of Mrs Pam Ward just made me lose some interest in the book Mrs Ward s voice had an accent that fit where the story takes place but it made me lose focus due to her monotone reading.

The Devil in Pew Number Seven isn t your typical true crime story It is a story about the power of forgiveness.Back cover blurb Rebecca never felt safe as a child In 1969, her father, Robert Nichols, moved to Sellerstown, North Carolina, to serve as a pastor There he found a small community eager to welcome him with one exception Glaring at him from pew number seven was a man obsessed with controlling the church Determined to get rid of anyone who stood in his way, he unleashed a plan of terror that was devastating and violent than the Nichols family could have ever imagined Refusing to be driven away by acts of intimidation, Rebecca s father stood his ground until one night when an armed man walked into the family s kitchen and Rebecca s life was shattered If anyone had a reason to harbor hatred and seek personal revenge, it would be Rebecca Yet The Devil in Pew Number Seven tells a different story It is the amazing true saga of relentless persecution, one family s faith and courage in the face of it, and a daughter whose parents taught her the power of forgiveness.WOW What a phenomenal story of faith and forgiveness From page one I was entranced by this very real, very true story I rejoiced in the triumphs, I sat on the edge of my seat during the chilling terror, I cried through the heartache, and I sobbed through the ending.Rebecca Nichols Alonzo takes us deep into the lives of her family Growing up as a pastor s daughter, Rebecca learned from the crib God s love and faithfulness, even during times of shear terror.In a world where an eye for eye holds precidence, Rebecca s father lived out the Biblical adage, turn the other cheek The Nichols instilled their love for God and their neighbor into their children, bringing about one of the most powerful testimonies I ve ever heard.Rebecca is truly living out Esther 4 14, For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father s family will perish And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this Rebecca s testimony, just as was her father s ministry, is for such a time as this No matter what sort of pain you ve expereinced, whether from a cutting remark or from child abuse and everything in between, The Devil in Pew Number Seven is a must read

This story has multiple levels to it that all lead to the murder of a preacher s wife, attempted murder of the preacher, and the children who live through the aftermath of witnessing all this.In the beginning, we re introduced to the couple who would fall in love, start a family, and who see their mission in life as helping revive people s faith in God Unfortunately, for them this led them to a town where a man couldn t stand losing power This man named Mr Watts terrorized this family in order to get them to leave town The couple, who I do respect for being true to their calling, refused to leave the town as they felt they needed them and God It bothers me that the parents didn t move their kids away from this man who literally set multiple bombs around the church and preacher s home If I had kids I wouldn t let this clearly mentally disturbed Mr Watts near my family In the end, he didn t need to be near this family to wreck havoc on their lives It s terrifying how Mr Watts was able to talk to a man afraid of losing his wife and telling him that all will be well if he gets rid of the preacher and his family AND the man actually does it.This is a tragic and interesting true life story but the writing lacked some unity for me Mrs Nichols Alonzo shares her family s story in detail but it s not vivid enough I m not sure if Mr DeMoss watered down the details or if it was too sensitive a subject for Mrs Nichols Alonzo to fully share I respect the tameness as I m not sure how I d feel about sharing the biggest tragedy of my life in a book for all to read Still this book was just okay for me The writing mixed with the not so great narration of Pam Ward just made me lose some interest in the book Mrs Ward s voice had an accent that fit where the story takes place but it made me lose focus due to her monotone reading.

I have really struggled about how to review this book Although the story was fascinating and deserves to be told, I didn t enjoy the way in which it was put into print.First of all, the title, The Devil In Pew Number Seven , is focused mainly on the man who terrorized them while their dad was the pastor of a small town church but the climax of the story had nothing to do with him at all I kept reading thinking there would be a connection between the two but there was none They were two totally unrelated although equally as horrifying stories that occured in her childhood I feel the book should have been titled with something general about her childhood rather than an inference to a specific person in this case.Second, there were details in the book that were confusing and or unrelated to the story For example, the story of the gas station attendant who shot a customer in the beginning of the book It was included so I thought this man would reappear in the story somewhere but again, it never happened Also, the author explains at one point why they decided to move back to their home from the safe, secluded trailer that they were staying in There had been no attacks while they were there and everyone began to feel safe She explains that they decided to move back to their home because their mom wanted to entertain during the Christmas season What If I knew there were bombs blowing up at my house which endangered my children, I would certainly not move them back there so I could do some entertaining There had to be to it than that but it was not explained unless I totally missed it.Also, a few details were left out at the end of the story which would have been nice Did Mr Watts ever follow through with the promise of a car for her and Daniel It stated that she never heard from him again so I assumed they didn t receive the cars but it would have been nice to know.Would I recommend this book to a friendyes but with the disclaimer that it was not written as well as it could have been The way Rebecca went on to forgive Mr Watts and move on to a life that was still honoring to God is very inspiring and makes the book worth the read.

This book is the true story of a pastor and his family who endured horrific persecution at the hands of one member of their congregation who was determined to control the church As the author indicates in the foreword, the story often beggars belief Perhaps incredible than the events to which the family were subject, is the fact that the author narrator is able to give the perpetrator of those events However, the book is not very well written One review on Good Reads refers to the times of poetic, picturesque writing The problem is that the author really, Bob DeMoss seemed to be trying too hard He liberally sprinkles his prose with metaphors, many of them clumsy, such as this one, I cannot pretend to imagine the feelings soaring through my mother s heart like an eagle caught in an updraft as she cradled all 8 pounds 9 1 2 ounces of me for the first time The story also suffers from poor pacing and a tendency to ramble The thread of the narrative is lost in digressions that are not well integrated into the story And though the story is about the devil in pew number 7, who wages a campaign of terror against the family, setting off dynamite near their house on numerous occasions, he is not the perpetrator of the most traumatic event in the story In this case, the shooting which is alluded to in the compelling opening chapter was perpetrated by a drunk man, angry that this wife had left him and was living with the pastor s family Perhaps the book needed a new title The ending felt a bit rushed and details were omitted Eventually the devil, again, not her mother s murderer calls to beg forgiveness for the harm he caused the author s family Amazingly, the author, raised in a home of Christian principles, frankly forgives him And the devil promises to help the author and her brother through college and to provide cars for them Yet the author never follows up on whether any of this happened Though this may not have been important to her in her decision to forgive this man, knowing whether he came through would have given the reader a better sense of whether the devil had truly changed After the phone call, very little is written of this man and the end of his life he was in his 80s when he asked forgiveness.The message of the book, however, is inspiring though it s a shame the author resorted to preaching at the end I prefer subtle stories rather than overt preaching even if I agree with the message This is a good story, but you d do better to read the Cliffs Notes version.

I read this book exactly one week after the terrible tragedy in Newtown, CT, and it served to remind me evil has been targeting children throughout time As a parent, I don t agree with the author s parents decision to continue living in such a mentally and physically threatening environment, but as a reader, I couldn t put this book down Rebecca Becky shares an unflinching tale I found depressing, frightening, and ultimately inspiring I applaud the author for giving us an insight into the terrors she endured for years at the hands of a virtual stranger I also sympathized and could relate to her deep need for her mother and father, and how devastating these losses were for her In later chapters, her reasons for forgiveness rang true We all have people in our lives who hurt us, who wrong us, who we can t help but feel bitter toward But by forgiving them, we release ourselves The author makes it clear forgiveness does not always mean letting someone back into our lives It s a mental state and it s freeing.