✻ [EPUB] ✰ The Yellow Admiral By Patrick O'Brian ❅ – Dailytradenews.co.uk

The Yellow Admiral txt The Yellow Admiral, text ebook The Yellow Admiral, adobe reader The Yellow Admiral, chapter 2 The Yellow Admiral, The Yellow Admiral 6194f9 Life Ashore May Once Again Be The Undoing Of Jack Aubrey In The Yellow Admiral, Patrick O Brian S Best Selling Novel And Eighteenth Volume In The Aubrey Maturin Series Aubrey, Now A Considerable Though Impoverished Landowner, Has Dimmed His Prospects At The Admiralty By His Erratic Voting As A Member Of Parliament He Is Feuding With His Neighbor, A Man With Strong Navy Connections Who Wants To Enclose The Common Land Between Their Estates He Is On Even Worse Terms With His Wife, Sophie, Whose Mother Has Ferreted Out A Most Damaging Trove Of Old Personal Letters Even Jack S Exploits At Sea Turn Sour In The Storm Waters Off Brest He Captures A French Privateer Laden With Gold And Ivory, But This At The Expense Of Missing A Signal And Deserting His Post Worst Of All, In The Spring Of , Peace Breaks Out, And This Feeds Into Jack S Private Fears For His CareerFortunately, Jack Is Not Left To His Own Devices Stephen Maturin Returns From A Mission In France With The News That The Chileans, To Secure Their Independence, Require A Navy, And The Service Of English Officers Jack Is Savoring This Apparent Reprieve For His Career, As Well As Sophie S Forgiveness, When He Receives An Urgent Dispatch Ordering Him To Gibraltar Napoleon Has Escaped From Elba

10 thoughts on “The Yellow Admiral

Everyone knows that on a large scale democracy is pernicious nonsense a country or even a county cannot be run by a self seeking parcel of tub thumping politicians working on popular emotion, rousing the mob Patrick O Brian, The Yellow AdmiralMany rate this near the bottom of the Aubrey Maturin series There isn t anything very exciting happening a few minor skirmishes, naval politics, domestic politics, etc The war is winding down Captain Aubrey finds himself serving under an admiral who doesn t like him and who he is in conflict with him regarding some local political disagreements Mostly, it is a bridge novel But even with that, it is still frequently magical The relationship between Aubrey and his wife provides some moving prose, and there is a whole section where Aubrey is explaining to Maturin about the politics and economics of the common which was one of the best exegesis on the conflicts surrounding common lands, inclosures, rival interests, etc Basically, O Brian is showing off a bit In the Commons Act of 1876 a mechanism was provided for inclosing common lands and fields Since this novel takes place around 1814, this was an issue that was relevant to land owners and peasants all across England, and O Brian gives the issue a weight and dare I say a beauty that is impossible to find in an economic history of the issue I loved this book, and probably gave it an extra star, just for the way O Brian discussed this issue It was fascinating without completley hijacking the book Like many of O Brian s divergent stories or subjects, they all seem to fit the narrative AND also exist almost distinct from the story too This way of writing reminds me a bit of Hugo s unabriged Les Mis rables, where Hugo would often trail off for 80 120 pages to discuss the battle of Waterloo, or the history of a convent, etc Obviously, O Brian s scale is a bit smaller than Hugo, but the effect is very similar.

I found these books to be terribly intimidating when I first started the series It seemed as though I was entering an entirely male world with a detailed technical vocabulary of its own But now, as I sat down to read this eighteenth installment of the series, it was like sitting down to tea with old friends The technical language is still there, but it has become a familiar patois in the background The characters are still mostly male, but it hardly seems to matter since they are such deep and fully human characters I continue to be amazed at Patrick O Brian s prowess as an author It s not only that he tells a good tale he continues telling good and original tales throughout an incredibly long series I m generally averse to long series because they become predictable, but with this series they simply become endearingly familiar Each book has its own twists and turns, its own character studies and musings on human nature The reflective passages are just as engaging as the suspenseful battle scenes I enjoy entering into the complex world of 19th century British naval affairs, but even I enjoy deepening my understanding of O Brian s marvelous characters There are only a few novels in the series, and I know I will find myself missing Jack and Stephen when I finish If you appreciated this review, check out my blog at pagesandmargins.wordpress.com

As ever, reading O Brian is like meeting up with an old friend In this one, the unfolding of the plot is slow and somewhat predictable it s like talking with an old friend solely of the past, reliving old memories and not learning anything new about one another There are none of the fireworks of the earlier books, no huge twists or turns That s not necessarily a flaw, though the prose, as ever, soothes and comforts, and the rendering of Jack and Stephen and the numerous supporting cast is as sympathetic yet unflinching as ever Only two books left in the series, though, which makes me sad I want to read them, and yet I don t.

The One Where Barrett Bonden Boxes Bareknuckled I m always so happy to be in the company of these good people This was a fairly mellow entry in the saga, but everyone showed up which is really all I need at this point.

As ever, hugely enjoyable In all of these books, there is usually an illuminating discourse on a certain subject, in this case, enclosure of land I am now stimulated to learn on the subject Only two books to go, alas But there s always re reading

What many reviewers didn t like about this story, I really enjoyed The sea adventures were few and far between as this time Jack and Stephen were landlocked throughout most the book But, because of this, there were some traits that I got a glimpse of as the situations on land and owning a home are considerably different from those being on a ship at sea And because of this, their personalities were rounded and complex.I really enjoyed the dynamics between both of these guys and their wives And I have to say that initially I did not like the character of Diane, but now I find myself liking her much Special mention to a part in the story which had me almost welling up was when view spoiler after Sophie finding Jack was unfaithful and basically telling me he can t stay in his own home even mostly through her mother s influence after his explanations and loving remarks to her, and later she writes him a note asking for forgiveness and Jack s reaction was absolutely priceless hide spoiler

I have read the entire Aubrey Maturn series at least six times, in order, and been captivated by many facets Of course the sheer adventure is enthralling, but the way in which O Brian has developed his characters as the books go along is magical One reviewer called O Brian The Jane Austen of the 20th century Right on Only in the last two books as O Brian aged and was no doubt under pressure from publishers, did the standards slip This is one of the less brilliant ones, but still a good read

This was one of the later books, and I breezed through it pretty quickly Honestly, I have to say that I wasn t as impressed as much with it as I was with other volumes Why Maybe because they re jaunting around land so much, doing a bunch of nothing.But that s just my take on it I should read it again one of these days.

This is now my third time reading through this brilliant series and I am reminded again how beautifully written and how wonderfully, addictively enjoyable they are.In The Yellow Admiral, there is both trouble and satisfaction for Jack and Steven on land, but a grave worry for Jack as enmities in the Service and in politics threaten to end his career as a shorebound yellow admiral or even to be passed over altogether A period on the blockade of Brest doesn t help his spirits and he begins to consider options outside the Royal Navy as peace approaches In spite of the slightly unpromising sounding subject matter, this is another wholly absorbing and enjoyable instalment in the Aubrey Maturin saga.Patrick O Brian is steeped in the period of the early 19th Century and his knowledge of the language, manners, politics, social s and naval matters of the time is deep and wide Combined with a magnificent gift for both prose and storytelling, it makes something very special indeed The books are so perfectly paced, with some calmer, quieter but still engrossing passages and some quite thrilling action sequences O Brian s handling of language is masterly, with the dialogue being especially brilliant, but also things like the way his sentences become shorter and staccato in the action passages, making them heart poundingly exciting There are also laugh out loud moments and an overall sense of sheer involvement and pleasure in reading.I cannot recommend these books too highly They are that rare thing fine literature which are also books which I can t wait to read of Wonderful stuff.

So everyone really enjoys the characters in the series at this point and it is generally entertaining to read about them doing anything However, it felt like this book was just a set up for the events of the next book as not much of anything happened of any lasting consequence A few things got tidied up and a new adventure awaits I feel like all of this book could have been condensed into the introductory chapter to the next book.